+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanking Reference: Awareness & Camera Control

Tanking Reference: Awareness & Camera Control

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)

This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more!

This is the first video I'm uploading of the collection I've been working on. I'm not sure where I'll put this in the forum structure since there's going to be quite a few of these.

I'm in early testing of a few techniques I haven't used in the past but would like to use in the future. The markers I'm sketching in this are real-time recording from my Cintiq, and I intend to use them mid-video to highlight things to watch out for during encounters (think Madden!).

The slow fade from classic dreadnaught to valorous is really cool.

great vid all in all, hits a few good topics.

'training' a tank we recruited, this vid will be a great help im sure.
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

Quote Originally Posted by Kaad View Post
    'training' a tank we recruited, this vid will be a great help im sure.
    I definately agree with that I'm a "tank in training" at the momment and i found it very useful. Just a case of waiting for the HD version now.

I expected you to do more actual NFL-style drawing!
    I'm sure you've already got improvements on the future ones in the works. Suggestions I'd have anyway though is to have more current-description of what you're doing in the videos/clips and relating it to what you say. Basically giving the viewer a walkthrough, perhaps even in slow motion, of some of your standard tanking methodologies that a veteran tank is completely used to and doesn't think twice about, but may not be obvious to a newer player.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Thank you very much for this video, Ciderhelm! Tanking's a continuous learning process for me and this definitely clarifies/defines some points for me.

Xav, that criticism is the same one I'm giving myself. I have been struggling with getting video clips in order. This particular subject is probably the worst because I don't have any stock footage of 5-mans and a lot of the discussion would have been best served by 5-man clips.

The Protection Warrior stuff is going to be very easy. The movement/positioning video I've got coming up for Tanking is going to be very easy. But the general theory is hard to attach appropriate video to.

Thanks for this Movie its really great, I have a general question tho pertaining to what was said about keybinding and its impact on situational awareness.

I have all my abilities keybound, however, I still find myself starring at my bar in order to make sure I achieve the perfect DPS rotation in order to maximize my threat, this isn't a problem on bosses like Patchwerk however, I died to a void zone on KT because I wasn't paying attention. How do some of you coup with this?

Abuimak, that's almost entirely an issue of UI design. I'll be covering it in a different movie, but I believe Bloodwraith put together a nice thread on the subject in the User Interface forums.

Excellent! I really like how you are breaking this down!
    Gallenheart: A Palahybrid (Clarion Call - Skullcrusher)
    Cool Mod Reviews and Tutorials @ http://www.youtube.com/user/cychow

Great
    This is what I first trying to explain ppl from my guild when they are start tanking.Gear is easy but to see all is not that easy.When you go from dps to tanking it is whole new game.It is not just tank one mob or two it is much more.I am not reached that lvl of awareness still but that is learning proces and I think I am rly close.All you need it to practise a lot and work hard .I hope next movies will have more hints that will help ppl to understand tankig .

Quote Originally Posted by abuimak View Post
    I have all my abilities keybound, however, I still find myself starring at my bar in order to make sure I achieve the perfect DPS rotation in order to maximize my threat, this isn't a problem on bosses like Patchwerk however, I died to a void zone on KT because I wasn't paying attention. How do some of you coup with this?
    You need to have visual indicators for available abilities near the center of the screen so that your eyes don't have to move as much. Human perception is best near the focal point, but very weak away from it.

There are a number of ways to accomplish that.

Example 1: Use Bartender with OmniCC to put a click-through bar with the abilities that you want to watch in an appropriate position near the center of the screen. OmniCC is helpful here, since it makes it easier to see remaining duration than the normal cooldown "clock" which is obscured by the global cooldown clock on action buttons.

Example 2: Use Power Auras Classic to visually alert you when Shield Slam, Revenge, etc. (or the equivalent abilities for other classes) are ready.

The GCD indicator from Quartz can also be helpful.

Another great guide! Quick question. This is a new track and it sounds great! Whats the name of it?

Absoloutly amazing and a job well done. Come's at a wonderful time as I've just been made Warrior Class Leader in my guild and plan to use Tankspot as the Bible for my Prot Warriors, and to a lesser extent my DPS Warriors.

Unslacker!!! :P

Great Video man. I would agree with your own criticism as I find situational awareness most beneficial for 5/10 mans and 25 man Trash. I would have liked to see a few clips from 10 mans as I believe 10 mans are where raid tanks are really trained. Kara + ZA were instrumental in making me the tank I am today.

I had never really considered the whole encounter awareness thing though. I mean I am always out looking to learn about the encounters, but you are right that is more tactical than anything else.

I look forward to the other videos in the series.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

First off, great video! I love seeing that there are going to be more guides on improving tanking skill rather then just learning encounters. As a tank that always strives for self improvement these videos are going to come in handy!

One thing however, if this is to be purely to increase skill as far as tanking then should encounter awareness really be brought up? It seems more to me that its a Raid Leader quality, not a tank specific quality. Everything shown in this video and the examples given are all examples of great raid leadership, not really great tanking if you know what I mean? I'm not saying its a bad quality to have, what I'm trying to say is you can be a great tank without it and a person can have great encounter awareness without being a tank.

Maybe I'm missing something? :P Either way, love the videos and looking forward to more!

This definitely gave me some things to think about, being fairly new to raid tanking/leading. YouTube was acting glitchy on me (is there any way to allow a fullscreen option on the embeds? seen it done elsewhere) so I def want to watch again later.

The whole camera control think is a weak point for me, if I could get in the habit of that, I might even be able to stop turning with my keyboard :P

Look at Cider, showing off his scarab :P.

It might be good to go into some common things tanks should look for when on a new encounter, like generally you tank away from the raid or against a wall if possible. It's not something you obviously always do, but I know at least I assume that a boss will likely either cleave or knockback if he's not a caster and I don't know what he's going to do.

My favorite part was, "Fun for us is killing the warlock whenever we have a chance".

Truly epic, and truly true.

Thanks Cider, awesome video, as always!

Great video! I learned tanking by the seat of my pants when Lich King was released. This vid made me realize that I have improved as a tank significantly.

Thanks for taking the time to put this all together.

Good video as usual, however, it still has my main gripe with the videos... the music, it's inane and doesn't add anything to the video (if anything it distracts from the talking, making it harder to hear the informative voice clearly).

+ Reply to Thread