+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16 / 3 / 52 Warrior Spec, "How am I specced?"

16 / 3 / 52 Warrior Spec, "How am I specced?"

Hey all; I just joined Tankspot earlier today and wanted your guy's opinion on how I'm currently speccing!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=05203001230000000000000000000030000000000000000000 0000000053351225000010521330113321

Above is a link to my current talent spec.
    And down on the bottom of the post is a link to my armory profile.

Suggestions, critisism, and comments are all welcomed and appreciated :P

Also, I'd like to add for anyone who cares that my current spec was done without the help of any guides, just personal experience with my class... Also, I do PvP occasionally, mostly WG though.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Thanks!

Also, for anyone who thinks I should just got with the 15/5/51 spec, I've looked at it and decided that I, personally, preffer the below spec better- Thanks for the suggestion, though.

My new spec - 12/5/54
    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=35020000200000000000000000000030200000000000000000 0000000053351225000012521330113321

-Thanks to everyone at Tankspot for helping me fix my talent spec, rotation, and a couple new macros that will help me ultimately become a better tank. =]
    Last edited by Spartank; 03-28-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added final talent spec

Your both speccs are pretty much similiar and to be honest they are not that good.
    The only change you have in your new spec is that you have switched one point from Armored to Theath to Puncture.

1.Anger Management is in my opinion useless talent unless you frequently run heroics and by bugging critters you try to stay in combat but even then it's not so good.

Suggestion:If you're using Heroic Strike a lot (like you should) you could spare much more rage by investing points in Improved Heroic Strike.

2.Rend It's a good talent but only if you use weapons with higher damage ( meaning slower weapons) and I can see that you're using Red Sword of Courage so better invest those 2 points in Improved Heroic Strike.

3.Iron Will Outside of PVP I see very little use for this talent , there are only few mobs that either fear or stun and most of them are trash mobs , I can only remember one boss that has a sort of a stun and that's last boss from Utgarde Pinnacle.

4.Puncture I don't really get why did you invest a point in that ability because with Shield and Board Procs you should be mainly using Shield Slam and Revenge and even then when your Shield Slam or Revenge are on cooldown you're better off using Concussion Blow or Shockwave.

Now the build I would suggest to you is to either go for current coockie-cutter 15/5/51
    or you change your specc towards affinity you prefer , meaning if you like making it easier for your healers try to pick up some of the talents in fury tree like Improve Demoralizing Shout and Commanding Pressence , you could also pick up Improved Spell Reflect if you find yourself frequently doing Malygos with healers that have trouble healing up people in Phase 2.

Overall your speccs aren't that bad but some points are invested badly.

1. Anger managment isn't a completely horrible talent, but I do think it should be buffed up a little, if blizzard made it 5 rage/per 3 seconds or so I think that would make it a much more useful talent; but considering blizz isn't likely to do that, I'm takeing the point out of there because I do agree that it can be better used elsewhere.

2. I use rend almost every time I can, I never used it when I was DPS Specced (Fury), but I'm still keeping the 2 points in there regardless if I have a fast weapon or not.

3. Yeah I agree, I like to do wintersgrasp alot and thats one of the reasons I have that point in there. But in my new spec I'm takeing it out, I've only found a few situations, like you said, that it ever comes in handy.

4. Yeah, I don't have a point in puncture, I think there was something wrong with the link, I acctually have that 1 point that was in puncture invested in armored to the teeth.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=35200000230000000000000000000030000000000000000000 0000000053351225100010521330113321

My new spec.

Running heroics, I have never had trouble with rage. A few hits and the red bar is good and full and hard to get rid off.

Rend and the Deep Wounds talent seems to be mainly useful if you are fighting bosses for a long time. Otherwise, the extra threat from crits may be enough to keep you well ahead on the threat meter.

I haven't put points in improved heroic strike, as I never had rage starvation issues. I might move points from Iron Will to Tactical Mastery, as I don't seem to meet a whole lot of stun and charm bosses these days. Spell reflect also have few applications, Malygos being an important one.

Here's my build from the armory, feel free to comment. It is slightly more prot-heavy than yours:

The World of Warcraft Armory

Why would you not use the common spec of 15/5/51?

I would drop the 2 points from rend and put them into improved Charge - since you have warbringer, you can use it while in combat to zip around and generate even more rage. Plus it's a better investment than Rend overall.

Unless you're doing malygos (or pvp) there isn't a huge need for any points into imp. spell reflect.

I would suggest putting 2/2 points into gag order, which is nice for that odd caster pull in heroics or in pvp, but more importantly it raises the damage of your Shield Slam by 10%, which is one of the largest threat spells for warriors.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    Why would you not use the common spec of 15/5/51?
    I'd rather not be a common tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Kancho View Post
    I would drop the 2 points from rend and put them into improved Charge - since you have warbringer, you can use it while in combat to zip around and generate even more rage. Plus it's a better investment than Rend overall.
    I had never thought of it that way - Having warbringer and the improved charge would work out great! Thanks for the tip.

I have never had trouble with rage when using Heroic Strike - so I'll keep my points in rend and use the ones from improved Heroic Strike

My new spec - http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=15220000230000000000000000000030000000000000000000 0000000053351225000012521230113321
    Last edited by Spartank; 03-27-2009 at 08:24 PM.

When I say "My new spec" That's what I plan on switching to, given the advice and tips you have all given me (Which are GREATLY appreciated!).

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll be a better warrior now lol :P

Warrior tanks that insist that Rend is good boggle my mind... Wasting a global cooldown applying rend when you could be using devastate or revenge to proc a SnB, or using ConcB or Shockwave, hell even burning Heroic Throw, is bad. But actually putting points into Improved Rend?

Spartank, the reason people suggest 15/5/51 is because it has been tested and proven to be the best spec (under most circumstances, there are some exceptions).

If today is truly your first day to Tankspot, I'd suggest reading the guides/articles/etc posted in the forums, and apply the accumulated knowledge to make you a better tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompbox View Post
    Warrior tanks that insist that Rend is good boggle my mind... Wasting a global cooldown applying rend when you could be using devastate or revenge to proc a SnB, or using ConcB or Shockwave, hell even burning Heroic Throw, is bad. But actually putting points into Improved Rend?
    There was some math done showing that Rend even untalented does more damage than Devastate but less threat (because bleeds aren't effected by defensive stance I believe? I forget the reason).

It's just hard to fit in and has a horrible stigma around it from when it was useless to all specs except in very few situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompbox View Post
    Warrior tanks that insist that Rend is good boggle my mind...

Never said Rend was 'Good' but It's useful in the way that it does additional damage, period.
    And, I definetly use it every time I can just for it's additional damage - always useful.

The main reason I put the 2 points in Improved rend instead of Improved Heroic strike is for the simple reason that I've never ran out of rage, or had any problem with rage, when main tanking any boss or even trash mobs for that matter. Thus in my opinion the 2 points would be better spent in rend.

Edit: Thanks to Volador's suggestion I checked out the warrior guide - http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...ior-guide.html - and It has convinced me not to bother with Deep Wounds or Rend.

Here is my final spec which I plan on switching to the next time I log in - http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?tal=35020000200000000000000000000030200000000000000000 0000000053351225000012521330113321

Thanks for everyones comments!
    Last edited by Spartank; 03-28-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Link leads to wrong talent tree

Quote Originally Posted by Volador View Post
    Spartank, the reason people suggest 15/5/51 is because it has been tested and proven to be the best spec (under most circumstances, there are some exceptions).

If today is truly your first day to Tankspot, I'd suggest reading the guides/articles/etc posted in the forums, and apply the accumulated knowledge to make you a better tank.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've only been skimming the guides but when I get the time I'll read them more thoroughly.

+ Reply to Thread