+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Def Cap anoyances...

Def Cap anoyances...

I seem to be running around, chasing my tail regarding the def cap.

What is bugging me is that I have Greaves of Turbulence and Inexorable Sabatons sitting on my bags, enchanted, and gemmed, but by adding to my equipped gear the supposedly better Heroes' Dreadnaught Pauldrons and Heroes' Dreadnaught Handguards Ive had to revert to equiping the 10 man loot epics for legs & feet that you see on my armory link ( posted below ) at the moment.

My Armory Profile

Also, having upgraded my bracers to Minion Bracers and even though I've echanted them with the prescribed +40 STA, with the previously stated gear changes I seem to loose more STA.

I feel unhappy because Im forced to downgrade ilevel to stay capped with DEF, and while I dont loose much dodge or parry, 0.30 and 0.20 here and there do seem to make a difference.

Ive had to gem heavily into DEF Rating to compensate for the DEF amounts lost from HC and Crafted gear.

So at this point I feel like I must be doing something wrong.

The RNG drop monster is not friendly with me these days, and since Im using this ALT to tank 10 man Naxx and OT some 25 Man Naxx ( both on farm status these days for our guild as we have cleared all raid content ), I feel there must be a solution to not need so much DEF gemming and work more towards a bigger pool of HPs...

Ive tanked Azjol Nerub for the tank trinket with STA untill Im sick and they still will not drop... so again the RNG loot monster has leveled me...

Going to try and farm HoL this weekend for the def trinket, until Thaddius sees fit to drop Repelling Charge

As you can see from the achievements on this character, Ive already tanked my way through Naxx 10, and parts of Naxx 25, so I am serious on this guy being properly geared for Ulduar.

Any ideas how I can work around these problems?

Or is it all I have left to do, to just hope that the RNG loot monster becomes friendly again?.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Glaive; 03-27-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Including wowhead links to better illustrate the gear

You could get

- 16 defense rating from cloak enchant
    - 22 from chest enchant
    - 8 or 16 from re-gemming your belt (you shouldn't gem for parry anyway)
    - 29-41 from Titanium Earthguard Ring - Item - World of Warcraft (depending on gem)
    - 21-37 from Armor Plated Combat Shotgun - Item - World of Warcraft (you'll need this anyway, get is asap)
    - 65 from farming normal HoL for Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft (good luck)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaive View Post
    Any ideas how I can work around these problems?

Or is it all I have left to do, to just hope that the RNG loot monster becomes friendly again?.
    I think it's partly that you're valuing Block Rating far too high. Both the Greaves and the Sabatons are frankly, poor pieces for any standard tanking set. (as are the Legs of Inescapable Death) You're also socketing for Parry Rating and Strength which are both huge no-nos too.

The biggest shift I think you could make in your gear is just ignoring Block Rating altogether and not being afraid to use 16 Defense gems. Defense is a fantastic stat. It's far better than Parry and slightly better than Dodge per point. There's no reason you should feel like you need to "cap" your Defense at 540. Think of it as a minimum requirement and that if you go over, that's great too.

Now notoriously, the above is rather ill received by players. I know I'm suggesting a serious shift in how you believe a tank should gear. So even if you don't buy into the conventions above, you can run some Regular Halls of Lightning for Seal of the Pantheon to help relieve your Defense stress. You can also enchant your chest with 22 Defense Rating and finally, you should really, really focus on making the Armor Plated Combat Shotgun as it's the best Tanking gun currently available in the game.

You could get defense enchants on your cloak (Titanweave) and chestpiece (Greater Defense); also, while your ranged weapon is purple, it's not a tanking weapon, and Weighted Throwing Axe - Item - World of Warcraft is arguably better for that slot (and the Armor Plated Combat Shotgun would be much better if you could afford it). I've also never been fond of Lavanthor's Talisman as a survival-oriented trinket; it gets beaten out by blue TBC trinkets for general purpose tanking, especially if you lack defense rating. (Yes, the trinket options for tanks in WotLk are kinda limited.)

Now notoriously, the above is rather ill received by players. I know I'm suggesting a serious shift in how you believe a tank should gear.
    Veneretio, I wont recieve any comments from far more experienced players in any form other than to appreciate the fact they took the time to help me out

I can see what you are saying is the way to go if Im any sort of serious about my tanking.

I did use the str+def gems due to a need because of the meta on helmet, there was nothing that seemed to "fit" for tanking and not mess up the color sequence needed for the meta to work.

The gun... yeah Im using that as a place-holder item, still need to farm some more mats for the armor plated shotgun.

The chest and cloak enchants for def will go in place tonight, soon as I login and our guild enchanters come online too.

The halls of lightning trinket is on the to-do list, and the AN one must eventually drop.

Still, if I may ask for further advice, isnt the Thaddius trinket Repelling Charge a better option?.

Im due for Thaddius tonight so I hope I will get a shot at it and would really like to be sure before I make a bid for it.

Again, many thanks to all who have provided all this valuable information.

Still, if I may ask for further advice, isnt the Thaddius trinket Repelling Charge a better option?.
    Yes, Repelling Charge is absolutely the better option and you definitely want it, but the RNG isn't always friendly.

Thank you for having such a receptive attitude. I can tell you'll learn a lot here and are well on your way to becoming a fantastic tank.

I did use the str+def gems due to a need because of the meta on helmet, there was nothing that seemed to "fit" for tanking and not mess up the color sequence needed for the meta to work.
    Gem options:
    Purple - Regal Twilight Opal

Orange - Stawart Monarch Topaz
    Alternately - Resolute Monarch Topaz

Green - Enduring Forest Emerald
    Blue - Solid Sky Sapphire

Those fit nearly any tanking need, with only the Stalwart & Resolute being an annoying items as those patterns are world drops. You could use the uncommon versions that all JCs can train though. Note that I'm not even looking at your meta, I'm just supplying the gems so you can figure out the gem(s) needed to keep the meta active

The halls of lightning trinket is on the to-do list, and the AN one must eventually drop.

Better, yes. A bit rarer, since you can run HoL 'endlessly' until it drops while Naxx is a once a week. Frankly, I'ld accept that H AN and normal HoL are your new homes until you get those drops. Otherwise, you could go back to TBC content and look into Dabiri's Enigma as a filler option. Soloable, but cake chain with a friend.

+ Reply to Thread