+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury warrior gear, DPS, and armory questions

Fury warrior gear, DPS, and armory questions

Okay, reading a lot about other fury warriors DPS, I am here for advice. I am barely above 3k for a night in 25 man Naxx. I know expertise gemming isnt the best, but since I did gem for a little expertise I noticed an increase in DPS, and as I get gear with expertise built in the gems will be replaced probably with +16 str gems. My weapons are not the best, and I am trying to upgrade those ASAP. So I guess Im going to link my armory and last nights WWS from 25 man Naxx and please let me know what and/or where I can improve. My rotation is the standard but I dont seem to HS all that much. And sometimes last night doing it left me rage starved. So here is the info, please help!! I am Heisman...

Wow Web Stats

The World of Warcraft Armory

I think you're on the right track looking at your Heroic Strikes. The fact that your white damage accounts for more of your output than WW is a good sign you're letting far too many melee swings through.

However, I'm also worried that you seem to almost never cleave. What gives? Glyph of cleaving + cleave should account for a huge portion of your damage - probably more than Slam and Execute if you're doing it right.

Your top 4 damaging abilities and their weights are:
    Melee 30%
    Whirlwind 23%
    Deep Wounds 15%
    Bloodthirst 12%

Drawing reference from a very skilled fury warrior in a recent Naxx:
    Whirlwind 23%
    Melee 21%
    Heroic Strike 15%
    Bloodthirst/Deep Wounds 13% ea.

To illustrate my concerns about Cleave:

Your cleaves: 5,150 damage, 0% of total
    Fury warrior in my guild: 964,058 damage, 5% of total

So, yah. If you're looking at "overall data" you're missing a HUGE chunk of dps output by refusing to cleave. Bind it, learn it and use it when > 1 mob is present.

I was always under the assumption from reading in the forums that cleave is mostly just a trash ability, and since trash is cleared so easily I specd in booming voice so I dont have to put up commanding shout as often, and also because Im usually the only fury warrior in 10 man raids (just started getting into 25 man). Is this wrong? Because on a boss, cleave is just hitting the boss...

Quote Originally Posted by IceHaus151 View Post
    I was always under the assumption from reading in the forums that cleave is mostly just a trash ability, and since trash is cleared so easily I specd in booming voice so I dont have to put up commanding shout as often, and also because Im usually the only fury warrior in 10 man raids (just started getting into 25 man). Is this wrong? Because on a boss, cleave is just hitting the boss...
    No, you're right but:

a) The reason "trash is cleared so easily" is because people DPS the trash quickly. Faster trash = bosses sooner = loot sooner = raid is over sooner and people can get on with their lives. If you're not doing your best to clear trash as quickly as possible then you're frankly being lazy and wasting a lot of peoples' time. It's fine that you don't spec for Cleave but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it at all (which is what it looks like the OP is doing).

b) If your guild uses "Overall Data" to evaluate your contribution to a raid, you better be damn sure you're cleaving trash.

more info on cleave please

Kerchunk is 100% right about cleave increasing dps in raids. I had similar frustrations and never used cleave. On a 25 man naxx run recently there was a dps warrior that was topping the meter. His gear was slightly better than mine but when i checked his damage i was surprised to see that cleave was his 2nd highest damage strike. I`d never read about cleave being used before on any fury rotation guide. It was always HS as a rage dump. The kicker was the next week when a fury warrior with inferior gear to me was also kicking my ass. NOTE-not on the bosses though..lol. Anyways, i figured i`d better solve this and realized they were using their cleave on the trash. I respecced for Improved Cleave and replaced the HS glyph but i`m still tweaking the rotation.

On trash, should i be doing WW-Cleave exclusively or should i still throw in a BT or Instant Slam when it`s up? I have trouble with trash in naxx anyway because i can`t see what`s going on and sometimes my character`s target dies and he just sits there doing nothing. Or, my target moves behind me and i can`t see him and only realize it when i see the warning pop up `target is not in front of you`or whatver it says. I`m also trying to stay on the perimeter more than jumping in the middle to help with the `tracking`problems.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I really like Imp Cleave and the Glyph of Cleaving.

The Glyph is also very useful while tanking. until the 3.1 Respec change that's the one glyph i don't have to change every time i respec

Quote Originally Posted by groppler View Post
    On trash, should i be doing WW-Cleave exclusively or should i still throw in a BT or Instant Slam when it`s up?
    Put quite simply, Cleave should replace Heroic Strike in your rotation when 2 or more mobs are present. It's as easy as that.

Cleave works the same way as HS - it replaces your next melee swing with one that hits multiple targets so your standard Ability rotation need not change at all when you switch from HSing to Cleaving. I still WW, BT and Slam! the same way, except in between I'm spamming Cleave instead of spamming HS. The only adjustment you have to make is for the increased rage consumption.

In fact, when I'm on trash, I simply swap my HS and Cleave buttons on my bar. That way, I spam the same key regardless during fights, but on trash fights I cleave and on bosses I HS. Just make sure you remember to switch if you use this approach.

I have trouble with trash in naxx...
    I move around a LOT during trash, repositioning myself constantly so my cleaves are hitting maximum targets and whirlwinds are in range of everyone.

If you're having a lot of trouble, it might be that your tanks aren't doing a very good job clustering the mobs and keeping them in one place. This will make your DPS suffer, especially when you end up pulling threat and dying. Don't be afraid to speak up if you think your tanks could do a better job setting up the bowling pins for you to knock down. I do both jobs so I have a good sense of what can be accomplished when the two roles work well together.

Thanks kerchunk. That`s exactly what i was looking for. I`ll simply replace cleave as rage dump in rotation on trash. I like the idea of switching the hot keys too.

I think the main problem on the big mobs in naxx is that i can`t see what`s going on with all the aoe firing around me. i`ve thought of adjusting some of my video settings but i like having them maxed out. our tanks do a great job of holding agro and the few times i do pull it they take it back right away.

thanks again for your help...i`m soon to be king of the charts..lol

on another note here i`ve recently been playing around with maxdps.com and i`m wondering how reliable it is? will my dps really go up with leather or mail items? will a 184 dps oh wpn do more dps than a 203 dps oh wpn?

Not sure how accurate MaxDPS is, but I do wear Leather/Mail when it's a clear stat upgrade on important DPS stats. Being Plate just adds Armor, really. Other stat itemization is identical so unless you plan on fury tanking, don't be embarassed to pick up Leather & Mail.

+ Reply to Thread