+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Raids

New to Raids

First off, I hope that I am in the proper forum. If not then I apologize.

I am an 80 Paladin, and I want to start going on some raids. What I would like to know is what is a good starting point.

This is my character in armory:
    HTML Code:
     http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eitrigg&n=Patroison
    Based on my current gear, I understand that I still need the red sword of courage, and perhaps the gloves and chestpiece from emblems.

I would especially appreciate any information on preparing for raids while I get more appropriate gear. I still have to study the videos of raids and will do so before I step foot in any. Also any feedback on my talents would be more than welcome. I am looking forward to learning all that I can from this site to improve my tanking and provide whatever limited insight that I may have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and a double thank you if you have any advice for me. I look forward to reading as many different views on tanking, and will use the advice I feel is relevant to improve my tanking.

You look like you are ready to OT Naxx 10/Sarth 10 no drake from a gear perspective to me. I'd recommend still running heroics to replace that green trinket (H HoL, H AN have great ones) and grind some Hodir rep for a better shoulder enchant.

The best thing you can do is start running these raids to get your skillset up. I will tell you that Ciderhelm makes the fights look exceptionally easy in his guides, and they will not go that smoothly.

Thank you. I am currently doing the chain quest leading up to the Hodir, and I'll try to replace that trinket asap.Thanks again for the response.

All in all, you look like you are off to a good start. Just some things to consider:

Talents
    1. Why no Judgements of the Just? That is a pretty important talent for tanking.
    2. Not a biggie, but you only need one point in Improved Judgements. You don't have a lot of choices for that point obviously, but you probaby would get more out of that point just plopping it in Benediction or Imp. BoM

Gear/Stats/Enchants/Gems
    Nothing terrible, but your avoidance is a bit low. You could stand to put some defense enchants on (especially on your epic shield). If you are worried about stamina, then replace some of your STR/DEF gems with STA/DEF gems. Ideal places to enchant defense are cloak, chest, and shield. Remember, you don't necessarily stop at 540 defense. It is still a good stat. Once you have a better set of bracers, toss on the 40 STA enchant on it. Finally, work on your Sons of Hodir reputation. Getting to Honored is pretty easy to do (exalted is ideal, but honored will get your first shoulder enchant from them)

Thanks I never thought about the value of Judgements of the Just before, and always thought it was kind of a waste. I'll be sure to take a second look at it. I'll have to reconsider my talents and perhaps Pursuit of justice can go.

Also a new question. (no sense making up a whole new post)

Would it be a good idea to have my gems have +stam or +stam/+def and my enchants have +def?

I typically do:
    Blue=stam
    red=stam/dodge
    yellow=stam/def

There isn't a whole lot of reason to stack stam currently (though that could change in the future). Obviously, if you need a stat for something (like low on defense for example), then gem for it if necessary.

As far as enchants go, the defense enchants for shield and chest are really worth more than the health/stamina ones. I would go defense on your shield, chest, and cloak. Put stamina on your bracers and boots. Put hit on your gloves and weapon. That gives you a good spread. Then simply gem according to your needs. The gemming layout I mentioned above is what I use, but feel free to do what your gear needs require.

Also, I am talking about all of this in general. You will eventually want to have specialized sets (like a max stam set, max avoidance set, max BV set, max threat set). If you build any of those, you will probably gem/enchant a bit differently than I have suggested, but for general tanking, just put stam where it makes sense (bracers/boots for example)

I think I get it now. Unless otherwise needed all gems should be +stam or +stam/+avoidance.

As far as other gear is concerned, I wonder if the Icebane set is worthe the lack of Defense Rating, but I've bothered you all enough.

Thank you again for responding.

+ Reply to Thread