+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Priesty heals and mana whorage.

Priesty heals and mana whorage.

I have a pally and a priest healer, this allows me to maximize my playability. The big problem is my priest consumes mana at a horrific rate. I gem and enchant for spirit and MP5 but I still have to drink up after just about any fight. Does anyone have any build suggestions?

Here's me.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Hava a look at my gear and talents,
    with an infinite mana pool and 350+ unbuffed while casting- i never run out of mana!

Your spirit specifically is too low for a holy priest, and intellect could use some improvement, too. You're gearing too much for spellpower and spell haste in general and too little for mana regeneration. A lot of your gear is unenchanted, too, which doesn't help. If you look at my priestess, for example, you'll notice that she has more than twice your mana regeneration, in or out of the five second rule, and she's never done a single raid.

As to talents: Skipping Holy Specialization (+5% crit for holy spells) is probably a minor problem, too. Take Improved Inner Fire instead of Silent Resolve, don't skip Inner Focus. Regardless of which other glyphs you have, one of your glyphs should be Glyph of Flash Heal.

By the way: Don't copy my spec, it's designed for heroics and with an eye towards the latency that I suffer from playing overseas (hence no Surge of Light). It's not an optimal raiding spec.

Most of your item don't have spirit on them (head, cloak, chest, bracers, weapon, wand, trinkets, rings and pant). Theses are good for Disc or for dps but as holy you want items with spirit and int.
    As you get more gear in naxx, your mana won't be an issue anymore, untill 3.1.

1) mana regen is horribly low. Only equip items with spirit and/or mp5 on them. Use regen trinkets. Your regen will improve with better gear.
    2) that spec is very bad. You don't need threat reduction talent at all. But you should get inner focus, imp. inner fire, surge of light and 5/5 holy spec at all costs. Some of these help healing, some of these help mana regen.

I agree with the posts above me.

Also, if you're looking for a "quick fix" to your regen problems, try getting some regen trinkets. Spark of Life from Heroic Halls of Stone, or Spirit-World Glass from Naxx10 would both help you out greatly.

The long term view of it is that your gear has a lot of room for improvement. Infinite mana is not achieved in blues.

Edit: Your gear might actually be better suited to being Disc spec.

I agree with the above posts as well, but I would like to ask what is the 'purpose' of your spec? Are you mostly wanting to be a raid healer or a tank healer, or a mix of both. I find that currently, deep holy tree builds 'should' focus on one or the other. If you want to be more of a single target healer, then drop things like divine providence and CoH. If you want to raid heal, then drop serendipity and inspiration and pick up surge of light and holy specialization. In either case, unless you're only healing 5 mans, Healing Prayers is useless.

As holy, my general rule for gemming is: if it's blue it gets spirit, if it's red it gets spell power/spirit, if it's yellow it gets int/spirit until I'm happy with my mp5, then start switching those to int/spell power. For enchants, for some reason I always get an mp5 weapon first, now with the spirit enchant available. Once I get a 2nd weapon, I make one raw spell power and the other is more for mana regen and switch accordingly.

Here is my priest. It appears that I logged out in my max healing set and not my mana regen set, but who knows next time

Quote Originally Posted by nefaisrien View Post
    If you want to raid heal, then drop serendipity and inspiration and pick up surge of light and holy specialization. In either case, unless you're only healing 5 mans, Healing Prayers is useless.
    Serendipity and Healing Prayers will likely be very important for raid healing in 3.1.

I'm not totally sold on the new serendipity yet.
    But yeah, everything that has been said here will help you. More spirit, and int. Better spec etc.etc.etc. You can still MT heal with the right spec and gear. I can heal any boss up to Sarth 25 and Maly 25 solo. I mostly raid heal though since we have a good MT pally healer. You could look at my spec but it is sort of tailored to my guild and gear. There are talents in there I would change if I was in a more serious raiding guild....but I'm not and I like it that way
    When you get your gear ratios down and get the right gems/enchants in them and iron out your spec mana shouldn't be a big problem (til 3.1 ) and if it is you can blame DPS for slacking.

Thanks for all the input! I know my stuff isn't enchanted yet. The big problem with just blatantly enchanting things are...

I'm the main enchanter in my guild... on my warlock. I know there's vellums but I also do my own mats. People have been really good about sending me goodies to DE lately, but world drops have been particularly shabby on Ysera for me lately. I mean SHABBY....

Also, I don't get to do Naxx much, we just went through a line up change... had a handful of 80's leave because we weren't raiding enough... oddly, those are hte same folks that would burn their raid cooldowns on other guilds. Awesome.

I do pug as much as I can, but you know how that goes.

I think I may wait for patch to really change things up.

edit: also, anytime I hit 25 man raids with my priest I find I'm the only priest with Guardian Spirit... which obviously takes away from the other parts of discipline. The fact I have GS is appreciated oddly enough because I RARELY use it, so I'm guessing the sacrifice is worth it though.
    Last edited by firedog25; 04-06-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Disc is looking very interesting for 3.1 and Int stacking looks to be VERY viable with the new talents and Replenishment. Mana efficiency should be through the roof and I think it will definetely benefit newer 80's. I'm Holy as of now but will changing to the following on patch day.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...1&version=9757

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Why are you using 6spi gems? o.O;; You could always respec to Disc, your gear is ok for it and you'll have less mana problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    Serendipity and Healing Prayers will likely be very important for raid healing in 3.1.
    I agree with this completely, for 3.1. The way it is now is what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by nefaisrien View Post
    I agree with this completely, for 3.1. The way it is now is what I was referring to.

Really? I mean a quicker PoH or GH is great but why "necessary"?

If you're losing mana too quickly, look for a couple different things...

a) Is your tank losing health too fast? Is their health spiking rapidly from full to half to 0, or is it a steady decent?
    -- If it's A, then your tank needs to improve on his gear, otherwise you will sit there spamming heals

b) Are your dps running in front of things they shouldn't? An example would be like running through clouds on Grobbulus to drop injections.
    -- If it's B, then your DPS needs to improve on their play style, otherwise you will sit there spamming heals, resulting in more mana loss.

c) If neither one of those two apply to you, then you are probably not geared, gemmed, or enchanted sufficiently. Adapt using your enchants. Your gear may be very nice, but if you gem like a shadow priest, when you're meant to heal, you wont get far. If you notice your mp5 is slipping, replace a couple +SP gems with +mp5 gems. If you notice that you depend on crits too much, either increase you SP using gems, or get more crit.

I spam heals constantly, PW:S people constantly, and drink 4 times per Naxx raid. After each final boss.

Ignore the shoulder enchant, I got lazy with Hodir.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdhammer View Post
    Really? I mean a quicker PoH or GH is great but why "necessary"?

After a week in Ulduar, I can say a quicker PoH is definitely a must have.

check out my gear and spec for mana efficiency

As a Holy Priest and also healer class lead for our guild, I usually put myself along with the druids and shammys on raid healing. There are certain fights where it can be mana intensive but the trick is to see what really needs heals. I usually take care of the casters knowing that our shammys, using chain heals will get all melee. If there are 2 Holy Priests by chance in raid, I assign groups to each of us to do Prayer of Healing so that way we don't overlap each other.

Circle of Heals along with Renew, Prayer of Mending and Flash Heals are my main heals. I've looked at the healing charts and I barely use Greater Heals hence my spec (The World of Warcraft Armory). I have found that there is no use for Improved Healing cause it only benefits Greater Heal, something I' don't use. Those 3 points are spread out between Holy Reach & Healing Prayers (Reduces mana on POH). Since there is 1 extra point left over I also have taken out 1 point from Surge of Light b/c of the amout of heals I do a 25% chance to get a free heal that does not crit is good enough. Personally I prefer the crit heal so I can proc Holy Concentration for mana back. Another good way to get mana back is when you use your shadowfiend cast Hymn of Hope also. You will notice how fast your mana regens and also at the same time, Your mana pool will slightly increase + isntead of getting 53% mana back you will get around 70%+ helping you stay in the fight a lot longer.

So as I mentioned earlier the 1 point that was left over from improved healing and the 1 point I took out of Surge of Light, I put into Test of Faith because most of the time when you really look at it, your raiders are usually below 50% in health.

For Trinkets, I will always use Spirit World Glass because 85+ spirit at all times is awesome (More Spell Power and mana regen) plus 300 spirit on use is just too awesome. The other trinket I will get will be the one from Ulduar that gives 100+ spirit on equip + 43 less mana usage on all heals.

All my heals are macros for the most part. I have macroed in 1. a stopcasting line, then /cast inner focus, /use soul of the dead. This ensures me that every 2 minutes inner focus and my trinkets are activated without me pushing extra buttons. This also helps kick me out of the the 5 second rule every 2 minutes giving me full mana regen.

If you do all the above mentioned, you will notice that you will be one of the top healers in raid (Being on top doesnt mean anything but as long as you can keep your targets alive, job well done!) and you will last a very long time.

Have Fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Broteas View Post
    For Trinkets, I will always use Spirit World Glass because 85+ spirit at all times is awesome (More Spell Power and mana regen) plus 300 spirit on use is just too awesome. The other trinket I will get will be the one from Ulduar that gives 100+ spirit on equip + 43 less mana usage on all heals.
    Soul of the Dead is arguably better than both of those. It is a beast when it comes to regen.

At the moment I do use Spirit World Glass and Soul of the Dead.

I haven't really gone over the numbers on regen for all these trinkets but I will be looking at it shortly. If someone has already done the numbers on regen please let me know.

Spark of Hope will help save mana for sure and probably will be best in slot.

+ Reply to Thread