+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which of these two builds would be best for 3.1?

Which of these two builds would be best for 3.1?

I am currently tanking in frost spec. Frost Fever > pestilence > howling blast was a great way to quickly grab aggro on trash mobs and keep it. But with the big changes to Howling blast (not to mention Lichborne and Unbreakable Armor), I'm really starting to rethink the viability/fun of tanking in frost build. My main goal is aoe threat. Single target threat is never an issue unless a mage jumps right on a boss and gets alot of crits in a row. And honestly, in that case they deserve to die.

Here are the two builds I'm debating between, the first one stays frost:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...6&version=9704

The Unholy version is:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...2&version=9704

I'm just curious if anyone has crunched the numbers and has any idea which will be the best for AoE threat and being able to survive. I'm not really that familiar with unholy. I leveled up as blood and stayed blood, but when I had to start tanking, I switched to frost for the better aoe threat and the two "oh shit!" buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Soltanus Foo View Post
    I am currently tanking in frost spec. Frost Fever > pestilence > howling blast was a great way to quickly grab aggro on trash mobs and keep it. But with the big changes to Howling blast (not to mention Lichborne and Unbreakable Armor), I'm really starting to rethink the viability/fun of tanking in frost build. My main goal is aoe threat. Single target threat is never an issue unless a mage jumps right on a boss and gets alot of crits in a row. And honestly, in that case they deserve to die.
    /sigh [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnXC_75SHI"]What srs tanks think[/ame]

More seriously:

Unholy Build

That will give a very well rounded build for tanking AoE trash and even most bosses. AMZ and AMS are very good trash tanking tools along with the beefed up DnD and UB.

Your frost build was all over the place and TBH not very tankie. You go down and dont take imp FA? thats 2% less damage, how do you pass that up? I know FA fails right now, but it will be a staple tank talent come 3.1. Also, this all hinges on how good UA will be (its getting a big buff) and how that will compare to BS. For the heavy hitting content where you need lots of effective health, blood will most likely still be best. But even that has been toned down.
    I cast the spells that make the people fall over.

I assume you mean Improved Frost Prescence? I saw the 2% dmg mitigation, but I couldn't figure a way to get it without going over 51 points in frost. I guess I could drop two points from Bladed armor and put that in there to give me 53 points in Frost.

Not sure what else you may mean by all over the place in frost though. Lichborne isn't really of any use to me now tanking wise since all it does is stop fear/charm/sleep effects for 15 seconds. You say unbreakable armor is getting buffed, I was under the impression if was getting nerfed. I haven't done alot of research on it yet though, I need to log into TC and see how much dmg it supposedly stops with a roughly 28k armor tank.

As for your unholy build, I notice you have no wandering plague. I had read that was one of the key aoe threat generation abilities in unholy. Was I misinformed? Does Unholy pretty much depend solely on wandering plague and the rune hungry death and decay for area threat?

I tank frost now, and am still up in the air about staying frost or going blood in 3.1. I tweaked your build just a little, with this result. It does include Imp Frost Presence, dropping the points from Morbitity (and finishing off Tundra Stalker). Also swapped a couple glyphs. You could stick with the Oblit glyph instead of UA, but I seriously recommend the HB glyph. It allows you to drop frost fever on a pack of mobs from range in a single blow, making your snap aoe threat that much greater. Follow that up with a couple blood boils, and your blade barrier is already up by the time the pack gets to you, and your dps should be able to open up immediately. DnD is a serious waste of runes for a frost spec, and talent points shouldn't be wasted trying to make it useful.

That's my thought on the matter for now, we'll see if any more changes are made before 3.1 release.
    Makepõ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

+ Reply to Thread