+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heroic warrior tank build

Heroic warrior tank build

Toying with the idea of using this build:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Along with a Glyph of Cleaving to maximize AoE trash tanking and basically burn thru heroics in a quick and efficient manner.

Keep in mind that I raid pretty infrequently.

Thoughts?

That's not bad, along the same vein I'd do something like this Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft for Piercing Howl.

Question is whether or not you lose on AOE threat by not having Impale/Deep Wounds applied to your AOE abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Yeah, I'm specced for Deep Wounds now... I'm just wondering if the improved cleave might be better or not.

This is pretty much exactly the build I've been playing around with over the last week or so (although I haven't played much).

As far as I can tell, my very unscientific testing (which consists of 'looking at recount') indicates that it comes out at about the same DPS as deep wounds. No idea re threat, didn't have any trouble with deep wounds, and don't have any trouble with this spec either.

It's certainly more fun though, I have the glyph of cleave also (of course) and bind cleave to mwheel-up, and spam the hell out of it during trash pulls.

have only done heroics like this, I am scheduled to tank naxx 10 tonight so I might keep it and see how it compares to our other, DW specced prot warr.

Before you post, make sure you have read the Posting & Chat Rules
    Pretty please?
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Pretty please?
    Sorry... please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

I was under the impression that cleave didn't have a very big damage bonus on it to begin with, so doubling it seemed like just a silly thing to do. I could be very wrong though and the damage bonus might be better than I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    I was under the impression that cleave didn't have a very big damage bonus on it to begin with, so doubling it seemed like just a silly thing to do. I could be very wrong though and the damage bonus might be better than I remember.
    Cleave does weapon damage +222. Improved Cleave does weapon damage +488. That's a LOT of damage across three targets (assuming you're glyphed).

My only question is if it's better than the incite+deep wounds build.

Looking at your gear, I wouldn't be as willing to sacrifice the 3% dodge chance. The points in Unbridled Wrath are probably wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    Looking at your gear, I wouldn't be as willing to sacrifice the 3% dodge chance. The points in Unbridled Wrath are probably wasted.
    I need those points to get to improved cleave.

I'm not too worried about dodge rating in heroics. As I said, I'm not raiding much. But, thanks for taking the time to check my armory. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkaos View Post
    Cleave does weapon damage +222. Improved Cleave does weapon damage +488. That's a LOT of damage across three targets (assuming you're glyphed).

My only question is if it's better than the incite+deep wounds build.
    I was thinking about specing into improved cleave as well, away from deep wounds but bonus cleave damage is split across the targets right?

so that's 488/3 per target?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkaos View Post
    I need those points to get to improved cleave.
    I realize that, but you could put them in more useful talent points for heroics, such as Improved Demoralizing Shout or Booming Voice.

I'm not too worried about dodge rating in heroics. As I said, I'm not raiding much. But, thanks for taking the time to check my armory. :-)
    That's precisely why I was suggesting that you not neglect your survivability (for what it's worth, I'm not raiding, either). Unless you have raid gear to outgear heroics (or your healers and DPS do to compensate), there are plenty of situations in heroics that can be pretty rough. Even more so if you want to try for certain achievements.

+ Reply to Thread