+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do about hit?

What to do about hit?

Armory is down, so I'm posting this to show my profile: Chardev Profile

I have read through all the forums here for weeks, first to improve as fury, and now to start learning to tank. I have decent gear so far, with the exception of a couple slots. I will not be a primary tank for our guild, as my main raid character is a hunter. It will be mostly used for heroics and alt/member Naxx runs.

My main concern is my hit rating. Being a long time hunter, and semi long time dps warrior, I love hit caps. Now, I'm seeing a lot of people post about aiming for the hit cap, but not to gem/enchant for it. I have only +stam in blue sockets, +exp/stam in red (to reach softcap) and 1 +exp/hit in yellow (good bonus). I have a mediocre block trinket that could be traded out for Sphere of Red Dragon's Blood, but my block would drop down to around 15%.

I also have the Naxx10 tier leggings that I would rather wear, but equipping them would desimate my hit rating even more.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you see anything else that I should look at, please let me know that as well.

(if I need to change link to Armory, i'll have to wait until I respec to prot again, as I raided fury last night).

Unfortunately as a Tank you sometimes have no choice but to bite the bullet and take a hit to your Hit Rating. You're probably not going to be capped in your standard set, and certainly not in a heavy avoidance set.

Tank stats are all about balance, but also priority and for a Tank generally speaking you want Health>Mitigation/Avoidance>Expertise>Hit. You can't sacrifice much mitigation and avoidance for hit keeping these priorities in mind. This is why, while HR is nice, nobody gems for it - because there are several gems that come in far ahead on the priority list (24 Stamina, 16 Defense, 16 Expertise, 8 Expertise/12 Stamina, 8 Defense/12 Stamina).

On the bright side, you don't need to be capped. You really don't. Unless you're DESPERATE to brag to your friends about being at the hit cap, it's overkill. Shoot for the Expertise soft-cap and "decent enough" Hit Rating, and you will be putting out all the threat you need to with a healthy dose of DPS to boot.

That answered my question perfectly. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread