+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retaliation or Recklessness in Tanking?

Retaliation or Recklessness in Tanking?

I just read about using Retaliation and/or Recklessness in tanking AoE from somewhere and I haven't found anyone talking about these spells here.

If these 2 spells were useful in AoE tanking heroic trash mobs, then the following macros are very helpful to activate one of the spells before pulling:

#show Retaliation
    /cast Battle Stance
    /cast Retaliation
    /cast Defensive Stance

#show Recklessness
    /cast Berserker Stance
    /cast Recklessness
    /cast Defensive Stance

I know Warriors have problems AoE tanking. It's pretty hard to gain and hold aggro against another high dps class even with the use of Vigilance. Sometimes we lose one mob and if we were unlucky, that mob would 1 shot Priest healer. (I hate Priest healer). Thus, I found this creative idea.

Do you agree?

Yes, they both work well for aoe tanking. I recommend alternating them on trash pulls when they are on cooldown.

Recklessness effects damage shield procs, yet doesn't use the charge. (this also applies deep wounds.) Be careful with Recklessness if you your mobs hit hard/fast due to the extra damage taken. I'll also use recklessness for threat-sensitive boss fights where I'm not at risk of dying quickly.

afaik, Retaliation only procs of non-blocked, or non-avoided hits so it's proc rate is lower then you'd think.

I don't agree that warriors have problems aoe tanking, assuming the mobs are hitting the warrior. Maintaining a TC/shockwave & tab-cleave rotation can hold threat off all other non-tanks, assuming relatively equal gear.

I sometimes use similar macros. When it comes down to it I do tend to steer away from recklesness (since I'm allready in maxed expertise/hit/strength gear most of the time) and since I'll likely be charging _way_ ahead of the rest of me raiders. (not smart, but much more fun for me )

Retaliation has me a little bit underwhelmed. I don't think I've ever used up all the counter attack charges at level 80. My best score was when I pulled just about everything in the room before thaddius at once.

Also aoe tanking should not be a huge problem unless your dps is geared to the teeth and starts attacking before you do...

#show Recklessness
    /cast Berserker Stance
    /cast Recklessness
    /cast Defensive Stance
    I open with this on boss fight for burst threat

Quote Originally Posted by Beldroth View Post
    I open with this on boss fight for burst threat

I guess your gutsier than me ...I can't imagine pulling Patchie with Recklessness going

Why the fuck would you want Reck on Patch? It's not like you need the threat.

I would say this would be useful on trash only. Otherwise I wouldn't use this. The reason is that you have to regenerate all your rage again if your not maintanking and also if you pop recklessness while tanking you gain a 10% damage increase.
    Around and Around the clock goes... Will it stop?
    WHO CARES! Oak - Akama | US |

Retalation is garbage unless it starts proccing from Blocked hits.

+ Reply to Thread