+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serious Discussion on UA tanking.

Serious Discussion on UA tanking.

Well, I'm experimenting with this build, to hold insanely high threat on bosses with Revenge spam. But I'm a bit curious as to the talent build. I've got the most of it down, just wanted to tweak the last few points...

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warrior=35023301230001050022120020000000000000000 0000000000000000051350225000012521000000000&glyph= 000000000000&
    hope that works...

Basically I opted sword specc because I don't have last laugh yet, and I didn't feel the talent bonus would be worth the downgrade from slayer of the lifeless to that blue tank axe. Second wind seems fantastic, but I can't recall how many times I've been stunned or slowed. But if it's worth taking, why not Iron Will?

In the prot tree I've opted for the points in Shield Specc, because if the goal is to get revenge up, let's get it up faster. I will always have an OT with me for general trash pulls, so I don't view the lack of points in TC as a major issue. Incite would lose some benefit there with the lack on TC points, but given how often Glyph of Revenge will give me a free heroic strike, it's fan friggen tastic. I've also opted for Glyph of HS over my previous Sunder glyph. This leaves me at
    Glyph of Blocking
    Glyph of Revenge
    Glyph of Heroic Strike

It seems to me that I'll be using SS if only to procc the extra 10% SBV. Given the build, is this even worth it? Or at what point, would anything be worth putting in above it?

I'm trying to get a few pointers, and get some feed back if anyone has any, thanks.

Saying you have an OT for trash so TC isn't as important is ignoring the damage mitigation of TC which is arguably much more important on serious content than the threat generated by it. The slowing effect is huge.

All-in-all I think it's a great gimmick spec if you're tanking content that you vastly overgear or is poorly balanced, but on progession content it's not going to get you very far.

I mean, at the end of the day, what's the point of "insanely" high threat? Unless DPS are regularly catching you, there's no reason to go "insane" with it. Enough threat is enough and more doesn't get you anything except bragging rights among other tanks.

My question is, does this build put out significantly more DPS than one using sword & board and shield slamming for higher criticals more often? If not, I just don't even think it works as a gimmick spec honestly.
    Last edited by Kerchunk; 03-17-2009 at 05:26 PM.

I think someone here used a similar build a few months ago to pump out 4k DPS on patch while tanking. If I remember correctly Cider gave this build a go and came to the conclusion that it was only useful for a few gimmick fights and as it was just too wooden to be of use in any other situation. I'll try and find the thread and post it here.

EDIT: Here's one of the threads that has a fair bit of information in it
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...-findings.html

EDIT: It was in the Patchwerk DPS benchmark Thread:

Source: Ciderhelm
    Source: Xav
    There isn't really anything to try out or theorycraft. I've seen the results, it's over 4k when properly played, can probably reliably push 4.5k. There's just a never ending list of drawbacks to the spec, so I don't think it's worth it for anything not named "Patchwerk", or when you need extreme single target dps on a boss and you're losing to enrage timers because of it.
    You're overstating the limits on it. It's weak on Gothik, Kel'thuzad and Sarth w/ drakes, which is what seals the deal for not recommending it as a spec, but it's certainly not weak on most content.The basic limits are this (for those not aware):
    • You have to be getting hit;
    • You have to have another Protection Warrior in the raid who can apply Sunders via. Devastate;
    • You have to have solid gear;
    • You can't charge in combat.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f177/...nchmark-5.html
    Last edited by Rhyseh; 03-17-2009 at 06:22 PM.

I think it's important to note that all took place prior to the Deep Wounds nerf, which makes this spec even less viable as any kind of realistic approach to tanking.

+ Reply to Thread