Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Defense and its limitations

What if;

Defense, like Resi, reduced the damage you take from crits aswell as reducing the chance of them? Then you are rewarded for every step you take toward the 540, rather than punished for every point you are below it.

This would mean that tanks could upgrade their gear without stressing over dropping slightly below the cap, as even if they ended up with a ~5% chance to be critted, those crits would only deal ~110% damage.

The net effect is the same: Crit is eventually off the table, but without so much pressure on the tank while gearing.

540 Defense is ridiculously easy to acquire and maintain, if you put the effort forth. Make (or have made) and keep a set of tempered saronite (410 Defense). Run HoL until you get your trinket (65 Defense). Have a Titansteel Shield wall crafted (64 Defense).

All of those numbers are without enchants/gems, and put you at 639, which is 50 points away from what you need to remain uncrittable. They're also acquirable before setting foot in a single heroic. In addition to, you have 7 slots + gems + enchants to bring you higher.

I would venture a guess that with quest rewards, craftables, BoEs, and non-heroics alone will give you an insane amount of wiggle room to maintain your 540 defense.

Edit: I just went through quest rewards, normal instance drops, BoEs, and craftables, and found another 162 defense for 6/7 slots (second trinket slot is pretty baren for defense gear until you get Thaddius to play nice). The two expensive pieces of gear for the 801 defense rating I found are the gun (that you WILL keep) and the titansteel shield wall (that you probably will use for a while). If that isn't wiggle room to upgrade your gear to stuff with lower defense, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by Volador; 03-25-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Dear OP, if you haven't yet listened to http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f189/...tank-gear.html, me recommend you do so, even if it's a bit old.
    "Yes." - Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Krisby View Post
    I think we tanks should get a talent in the prot trees that increases our def closer to 540 or a percentage. Dont have it hit 540 but and leave enough were they could lower the def ratings on our gear and therefore allow us to choose other stats and have a few heavy def peices for avoidance sets. This is for that guy that said I dont have any ideas...well here is one. not perfect but it would allow us to have more usefullness in our gear instead of a good portion of its itmlvl i taken up by the def.
    Welcome to BC? I'm going to assume you're new to tanking by this paragraph. Anticipation used to be worth 20 defense skill, instead of the 5% dodge it is now. I beleive it was changed in 2.4.3.

Having trouble keeping up with the defese cap? Try enchanting your gear properly. +275 health on your chest is a waste of an enhancement slot. +22 defense is by far the better enchant for your chest. +22 agil VS 16 Defense on your cloak is a toss up, but if you're finding yourself struggling with the cap, and you say you are, then the defense enchant is better.

There are lots of options for maintaining the defese cap, and it really isn't hard. You could make the exact same argument about hit rating. "Oh i could get so much more crit/strength if i didn't have to wear all this gear with hit rating on it QQ"

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    Welcome to BC? I'm going to assume you're new to tanking by this paragraph. Anticipation used to be worth 20 defense skill, instead of the 5% dodge it is now. I beleive it was changed in 2.4.3.

Having trouble keeping up with the defese cap? Try enchanting your gear properly. +275 health on your chest is a waste of an enhancement slot. +22 defense is by far the better enchant for your chest. +22 agil VS 16 Defense on your cloak is a toss up, but if you're finding yourself struggling with the cap, and you say you are, then the defense enchant is better.

There are lots of options for maintaining the defese cap, and it really isn't hard. You could make the exact same argument about hit rating. "Oh i could get so much more crit/strength if i didn't have to wear all this gear with hit rating on it QQ"

You may assume that sir but you would be wrong. You would also be guilty of ignoring my other posts in the thread. Not having trouble doing it but frustration. There is a difference from being unable to do it and being upset at its mechanic and implementation. Thank you

Also I have mentioned this is more of a rant and frustration that I have felt SINCE burning crusade. Pay a little more attention to what is wrote and less time talking about how I am QQing get over it. Its a discussion about def and its limitations and just because you think its crying doesnt mean that its not a topic others might agree with. Please leave your attitude at the door.

Also I have been here since Nov 2007 you since Dec 2008 I think I have an edge over you son. I remmber running UBRS for the draconian deflector and crystal attunment to get into BWL. I have been tanking since the beginning of wow that's why I rolled a warrior.
    Last edited by Krisby; 03-25-2009 at 02:45 PM.

So much discussion over a non-issue.

The Defense mechanic is part of the game. If you don't like the game, don't play it is the most obvious, flippant answer. But to give a more thoughtful walkthrough....

A game needs challenges and goals, or else it becomes too easy and people get bored. Critical hits are there to scare you on tough mobs. Want to go take them on? Better gear yourself appropriately. That's your challenge. Don't like it? Go do normal mode 5 mans. Tough fights should be expected to be challenging and not something you can go into without thought and preparation.

Blizzard has said that they like gearing choices where the player has to really think about whether it is an upgrade or not. It would be easy to design ShoulderItem1, ShoulderItem2, ShoulderItem3, etc. where each one successively added +5 to each stat on it. Boring. Unchallenging. Predictable.

All of a sudden I get an item drop with a lot of +expertise on it, but no defense. I have to make a decision about whether I want the avoidance and threat benefits from that at the cost of giving up another good stat (defense). How important is each option to me? What are the pros and cons? Can I get both stats by adjusting my gemming/enchanting on other items? Holy smokes! Now I'm actually involved in the game, thinking, and participating rather than mindlessly plugging in ShoulderItem2 and deleting ShouldItem1.

I don't want to be mean, but it really sounds like this complaint stems out of laziness. Defense is a beneficial stat to tanks aside from being able to reduce critical hits. It is not broken, it is the game mechanic. Its a very simple stat that any tank can get upon hitting level 80. As a player puts more work into their character Defense becomes less and less of a concern, opening up a large amount of flexibility in gearing options. You will not have this as a scrub 80 tank, that flexibility is something you work towards as a goal.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 03-26-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Vek039nilash/130018.jpg
    At the brink of danger I stand. Clad in armour, shield and sword in hand.

This thread needs a One-Shot critical delete, but it seems to be above the defense-minimum so continues its miserable existence.

I think this thread has run its course.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread