+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.1 Tanking Specs - My AoE and Single Target

3.1 Tanking Specs - My AoE and Single Target

These are my ideas for tanking specs in 3.1. It looks like frost is being severely weakened, so I would rather try my old unholy tanking spec (relatively unchanged) for AoE and a blood spec for bosses.

Unholy AoE:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...7&version=9684

Standard rotation, DnD -> IT -> PS -> Pest, followed by blood boils and corpse explosion when off CD for a RP dump, rune strike when not available.

Blood Single Target:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=2055301033303310030223131300005000000 0000000000000000000035232000000100000000000000000& glyph=102520070406&version=9684

Now this is the interesting one that I would love feedback on. I haven't really used a deep blood tanking spec in months, but this feels like it would hold strong single target aggro, with morbidity and the ghoul for emergency heals and adds. (Dark Pact + Vampiric Blood = 54% hp emergency heal if he can stay alive through the fight, if not, sac him when he gets low) The rotation I would use would be IT-> PS -> HS -> HS -> Death Strike, followed by more death and heart strikes as the death runes pop.

Any suggestions on talent or rotation improvements are helpful. I would love to test these builds out but the PTR dalaran hates my comp... thanks!

Only quick suggestion I would have regarding the blood spec is to take one from Virulence and 2 from Unholy Command and put them into Ravenous Dead. Your ghoul will dish our more dps while he's alive, and stay alive longer with the higher stam bonus. That, and the 3% Str bonus you get translates to more parry and AP.

Edit - I would also take the points out of Butchery and put them into Abomination's Might. Full group buff, plus more Str for you, for the same reason listed above. I really don't think you'll be RP starved with this build.
    Last edited by Bryenne; 03-17-2009 at 05:31 AM.
    Makepõ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

After messing with it a little more, I came up with this. Provides both solid single target and aoe threat generation, as well as mitigation through self-healing buffs. I know, I'm still thinking like someone that doesn't have dual spec... but I may have one spec for tanking, one for a pure dps role.
    Makepõ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

I would rather do something like this myself:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...7&version=9684

But then ive always been an unholy fan
    I always wanted a Holy Pally Gnome never could talk Blizzard into it so now I have an Unholy DK Gnome guess its close enough.

while collecting tanking gear i like the frost tree, but now my geared i like the unholy tree better, but i like frost tree for threat races with the other tanks in my guild on patchy(man its fun over taking pally-MT tanks in threat, i know my main pally tank hates it lol)

im thinking of going a more round tri spec for mostly frost and unholy being the heavy talent hiters.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0055000030000000000000000000305050113 0202000000000000000205230303023012033001200100000& glyph=000000000000&version=9704

my choice is that, im currently hit 32-34k'ish +health when raid buff and not spec into vet of the 3rd war and shadow of death talents(which is removed in 3.1 ><), which leaves my gear for more advoidance set up sense ive hit over that 31k in raids. and i found its not needed as much for most fights other then sarth3drake fights when its helps a tone to have thos talents.

with this spec ive put my points so that i can build fast threat of OB(which is better for it then SS i think for threat) as well as have bone armor, magic sup, AMZ(not a very usfull talent but it has come in handy for me at times) and frigid deathplate.

with 4/5 Val set i have the longer IBF too. and unholy blight for aoe(sense its switch for gargoyle.

points that are useful but havnt done like killing mach, its a top threat talent for a frost tank, but unless you spec down for HB and Frost strike to make the most use of it i think its not useful for my spec.

ive also spec in to death rune master to with with threat gen by not running out of runes for both aoe and single target.

i would like to have filled out the figid deathplate talent but prefered full 3 point in deathrune master for the 100% chance for Deathrunes CDs.
    i wouldnt mind seeing if icy talons for the raid buff, but i recond while it would be handy i wouldnt have the continues rune spaming or the opation to when shit hits the fan.

i havnt tested this spec it but when my net caps over ill be jumping on the PRT and will do so, but im liking this spec far for what it is.
    Last edited by sheldo; 03-19-2009 at 05:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread