+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3.1 Tri-spec, DK tanks

3.1 Tri-spec, DK tanks

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Perhaps?

Viable?

I'm not sure how the TPS will be, but with most things being on a 2 minute CD now, I think Bone Shield won't be up for near long enough, same with the other two talents in blood and frost. So this is less CD reliant and more working on a stable tank for fight.

I think I would drop Corpse Explosion and Runic Power Mastery and pick up Bone Shield.

Can't get to BS without losing an important point somewhere else.

BS isn't worth it anymore IMO.

Really? BS is still a fundamental tool in Unholy tanking. I have about 75% uptime on BS, and when it's not up IBF is up, when both of these are down, I notice. Unless it's Heigan, who hits like a girlscout.

It's an interesting spec. My first thought is that you'd have trouble with threat, since you're missing every major threat generating ability in each tree, all of which occur deeper...But if you can get around that, I guess you could probably tank just fine.

Tri specs are bad bad bad. There are too many things that the build is missing to mention therefore I have but one question.

What do you gain over the other specs by using this build. Viability is not a reason to try out a spec, DK's can tank while DPS spec. The issue is tanking effectively and efficiently.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Obliterate would be the threat using ability which is why I got Annihilation in frost, then 6% stam in blood and unholy blight for AE tanking and the magic resistance in unholy also.

Like I said earlier, with everything being moved to a 2 min CD you will lose that 75% uptime, which is why I think 6% stam would be better.

Unholy Blight isn't what makes Unholy AoE tanking effective, it just helps with fluid transitions. Wandering Plague is a big part of Unholy AoE tanking and you miss out on that spreading yourself so thin.

As far as Obliterate is concerned, the build is missing key talents that make it so effective. The big one being Guile of Gorefiend which adds an additional 45% extra crit damage. It also doesn't have Rime which increases Obliterates crit chance by 15% which is pretty huge when coupled with GoG.

After that the concern is mitigation and "oh-shit" abilities. While Magic Supression decreases magic damage taken by 6% it is situational in comparison to Unbreakable Armor, Bone Shield and WotN which decreases all damage taken and Vampiric Blood which gives you a last stand and increased healing taken. Even though they're on 2 minute cooldowns they get the job done when they need to and that's in a hairy situation. Going deep frost would also allow you to pick up Imp Frost Presence, decreasing all damage taken by an additional 2% and sticking with a frost build would allow you to pick up HB, an amazing AoE tanking ability.

Now we come to the issue of raid buffing. Since you're spreading yourself so thin you do not have the option of getting talents like Abomination's Might, Ebon Plaguebringer or Improved Icy Talons, all of which can provide a substantial group/raid buff.

If you like the 6% stam that blood has to offer then going deep blood is the answer for you. Mixing and matching the talent trees does not and will not work for maximized performance. Each tree has tools to AoE tank, obviously some may be better than others but that's the price you pay to pick up effective talents.

I would suggest the following for a more streamlined Blood Build. It gives you the 6% stam of VotTW, you have viable AoE tanking via Blood Boil and your main attacks would be Obliterate and Heart Strike.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

+ Reply to Thread