+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank Eval - Need Help plz

Tank Eval - Need Help plz

Ok. Recently my small guild recruited a NELF Tank.
    We have been running him throught heroics like mad to get him geared for Naxx10. We tried Patchwerk this weekend as a good test of his tanking ability/gear check & unfortunately the guy got dropped like a sack of potatoes....

I am baffled as to why he was taking so much damage - yes I know Patchwerk hits extremely hard but he shouldn't be dropping my tank that fast (I'm the main heals btw so I see first hand the huge amounts of dmg).

With all that being said, I have a few questions for the experts...

1. Can someone give me a priority rating on stats (which is more important for Warrior Raid Tanks) - ie Block, Defense, Parry.

2. Would someone tell me what stats, based on his armory, as to what needs to be improved the most.

3. Is my gear "up to par" to heal Naxx?

I've never had a tank so I'm obviously in bad need of help here - Any links/comments/info would be greatly appreciated.

Tank -> The World of Warcraft Armory

Heals(Me) -> The World of Warcraft Armory

id say that his spec is off a little but other than that i dont see anything wrong. do you know if your healers arnt healing dps and are always casting heals on the tanks?

Well I'm not an expert, but I'd say his spec needs a bit of tweaking for threat. He's got all the mitigation talents so spec wouldn't be an issue in the Patchwerk fight. He's got his defense cap so that rules out crits and crushing blows.

So it comes down to technique. Does he have a deadlyboss mod or similar mod that let's him know when the hateful strike is coming? I'm assuming that's the big hit that killed him. that way he can macro a Last Stand+Shield Wall+ trinket oh crap button and use it to help lessen the incoming hit making your job easier.

Stats priority should be Defense till 540, then hit and expertise for maintaining threat or stamina and block for soaking the damage. There are more experienced warrior tanks who could give you a better idea I'm sure. But that seems logical to me since block value adds to our mitigation and adds into Shield block, Shield Slam and Damage Shield, giving a solid defensive/offensive buff.

As for your healing gear, it's fine. Your spec I think needs a bit of tweaking but I guess that comes down to preference. Without knowing the exact details of the fight it's hard to say where you went wrong, but from what i've read that's a really hard fight for a shaman to heal as your heals don't tend to have the throughput of a Healadin and you can't stack HOT's like a druid.

Patchwerk is a gear check for everyone in the group.

At quick glance, your fine 2K+ BH.

The question is, what about the other tank & heals? Is this guy the MT or OT? It's gonna matter as far as who takes the Hateful Strikes. Patchwerk targets the 2 highest healths in your group as to who gets the next HS.

His health seems ok, his spec is a little out of whack IMHO, but he should still be ok. I see he uses the Alchemy trinket. That's what I used, but got the Medal of Valor for Patchwerk as it gives me more dodge, thus more avoidance. Might recommend that to him, otherwise this all comes down to group coordination.

Malik - I chose Patchwerk because the dps'ers take little or no damage at all. I was spamming heals non-stop for about the 30-45 seconds that the tank lasted. I brought 3 heals in the raid including myself, and we were all dedicated to healing the tanks.

Arkun - The MT & the OT both have DBM and the meters necessary to gauge the fight. Neither of the tanks have trouble with threat/agro unless my DK pops off a few 9k crits - but that usually doesn't last long because death is jsut around the corner haha.

So from what I've read from both of you - it sounds like it simply the tanks rotation of blocks & cooldowns that are potentially the problem and put me on Chain Heals(topping off tanks n melee dps) and let the druids step in for MT/OT heals.

Can I expect the tank to take this much dmg from other bosses in Naxx10 or is this guy just a beast when it comes to melee?

Dirt - The guy I'm referencing is the MT for this fight.

The OT for the fight is this guy -> The World of Warcraft Armory

I chose him as OT because he had almost 3k more hp and seems to mitigate alot more damage than the MT because of the higher dodge rating. Thus, the less overall Hateful Strike damage taken.

- Keep it comin guys -

Please read posting rules before you make new threads. They can be found at the top announcements of every forum or in my signature.

This thread looks to belong in the armory forum that we've provided for you.

Moved.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

He is geared well enough to MT, his talents will work for this fight (although he may want to look at them a little more closely). From the reading, I would say it comes to the healers rotation. HOTs are important and healing should not stop. Remember this is everyones check, including heals. The other is that you never let the OT have less health than anyone else. Don't worry about healing up the melee if thier health is low there is a better chance they won't recieve HS and it is time you must be healing the tanks.

Good point Zengi, I see where you're coming from there. Maybe it's the heals that are weak and we are just under-estimating the dmg intake.

I'll look into that tonight.

His gear is sufficient to complete patchwerk and pretty much nay Naxxramas fight. I'd look at healing assignments and rotations. The Hateful or Soak tank will take a hell of a lot more damage than the main tank.

Ok. Sounds like our heals aren't up to par and/or raid composition was weak.
    I'm working on looking up improvements for them now. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't trying to heal the impossible.

+ Reply to Thread