+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior - Still working on 25 man Naxx

Prot Warrior - Still working on 25 man Naxx

Since BC I'm the only long standing tank in my guild and I no longer have a group of tanks to bounce ideas off of and ask opinions so I thought I'd just ask here. My guild is currently working on 25 man Naxx I'm the MT/Raid leader/GM (I don't recommend that!) while I can run numbers all day I have no one to really second guess me so please do. This is my current standard tank set for a boss fight I am a JC/BS I do have the JC trinkets (just recently leveled jc) when needed. I guess what I am looking for is just general input.
    Avoidance # - ok?
    Health # - ok?
    What would u do differently?

The World of Warcraft Armory

Note: Guild just downed 25 man Patchwerk last night

You're farther along than me, in all aspects, so take this with a grain of salt...;>)
    Only thing I can see you might need is expertise, but you have several ways to get there. I'd drop the def gems first, and go for exp, or agil.

Seriously, you're asking if your Health is ok, at 29k?

Maybe a better shield? Hah...really, I'd kill for most of the pieces you've got there!!

Grats on Patch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'd drop the def gems first
    Eww. Why? Avoidance numbers aren't that impressive so that's the last thing I would be doing. Unless threat is very specifically an issue, getting to the Expertise cap should not be your first priority.

I think your doing fine, i wouldnt change much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    Eww. Why? Avoidance numbers aren't that impressive so that's the last thing I would be doing. Unless threat is very specifically an issue, getting to the Expertise cap should not be your first priority.
    Current content does not test the tank enough to stack avoidance. I wouldn't both stacking anymore than he already has just take it as it comes.

IMO sacrifice some of the defense gems for some Expertise/hit/stam ones or drop repelling charge and stick on a Monarch crabbed all gemmed with +24 stam. The extra health will help much more than the extra defense.

These are just small little things which aren't really super important considering you are going to be upgrading most of these pieces fairly soon, I'd just keep the above in mind.

Considering that your guild is working on progression (i.e. you don't have Naxx on farm) I would take a look at the EH threads in these forums. Its going to give you the highest survivability to progress.

Right now it looks like you have a little of everything, a little avoidance, a little EH, and a little threat. While this is a decent strategy for 5mans and to some degree 10's, you would do well picking up a few extra pieces and switching out what you need when you need it. Personally I shoot for a EH set, a Threat Set and a avoidance set. So that way when your working on Patch you can stack more avoidance if your threat is good, or more threat if its Malygos etc.

But assuming you don't have a issue with threat I would push the EH as much as you can at this point and try for more progression then work on the other sets depending on where you are getting stuck and what works best in that situation.

Yeah, it's really all about EH for ya given your situation... your defense is fine. And as far as I know, those 41stam gems are prismatic. So, you should make the most use of them and put them in yellow or red sockets that you can't put a 24stam in..

For example, take the prismatic 41stam gem in your bracers and put it in the helm. You'll still get the bonus, and the bracer socket is prismatic anyway, so a 24stam gem would fit fine.

Another thing would be your breastplate - I think those are red and blue sockets.. so, put the prismatic in the bottom red socket, and put a 24stam in the blue socket and still walk away with the bonus. Yeah, you want expertise, but I'd go with 41stam in reds (probably yellows first..) for now, and aim for expertise to come with your gear.

And as was said, if you're not using a prismatic gem, you should try for def/stam gems in the yellow sockets (or hit/stam even) for now.

You should notice a decent buff in health with those changes.

BTW, the monarch crab trinket was a great suggestion too. If you do go with it, gemming straight for defense in some pieces to stay above 540 will be worth it.
    Last edited by BuliwynT; 03-16-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Thank you all for the responces.

Kexil
    Considering that your guild is working on progression (i.e. you don't have Naxx on farm) I would take a look at the EH threads in these forums. Its going to give you the highest survivability to progress.
    I have read all the guides written on tanking, have some printed and logged for quick reference. (Thanks Ciderhelm, Devro, Berginyon, Malignus, Mozman, SATIRINA, Kenco, Armstrong and all the others who have donated so much to this community.)

Right now it looks like you have a little of everything, a little avoidance, a little EH, and a little threat. While this is a decent strategy for 5mans and to some degree 10's, you would do well picking up a few extra pieces and switching out what you need when you need it. Personally I shoot for a EH set, a Threat Set and a avoidance set. So that way when your working on Patch you can stack more avoidance if your threat is good, or more threat if its Malygos etc.
    <--Absolutely

Agreed and as I get more pieces I will but lady luck is not my friend. For a straight EH or max hp gear I do have some things I can swap but having to blend a limited number of 25 man drops with alot of 10man gear makes it hard to balance and hold 540 def. (I view 540 def as a minimum only.)
    {karma got alot of my BT gear on first drop.}

assuming you don't have an issue with threat
    Not unless I fall asleep.

Honestly I don't have much trouble with Naxx. I agree with many others who have said Naxx/WotLK is just too easy, too rehashed and to geared to the casual player. In fact if you're an old school player you may find your self wondering why blizz did things this way, as I did, but once you lead a raid group of people who don't know what Strat is or get the "@#$%^ core hounds" reference you get a different view. Either way though if your a die hard tank you'll find your self here wondering what else you could really squeeze out of your gear or your self.

So I really do mean it when I say that I appreciate all the responces

Can't believe I missed this

Quote Originally Posted by BuliwynT View Post
    Yeah, it's really all about EH for ya given your situation... your defense is fine. And as far as I know, those 41stam gems are prismatic. So, you should make the most use of them and put them in yellow or red sockets that you can't put a 24stam in..

BTW, the monarch crab trinket was a great suggestion too. If you do go with it, gemming straight for defense in some pieces to stay above 540 will be worth it.
    LOL absolutely
    This is what happens when you get 400+ JC at 3AM after just a couple days of feverishly grinding on it. I'll get on the gems ASAP.

I have the crab and with a little tweeking of the gear I can make it work. (Man that thing is a huge chunk of HP)

Tip:

As I see from your gear you are best at one-mob / boss tanking wich is very good, maybe get more hit rating to be safe-capped, but if you want to multi-mob tank, than u need to work on ur block value, at least 22% in my personal experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukasnow View Post
    As I see from your gear you are best at one-mob / boss tanking wich is very good, maybe get more hit rating to be safe-capped, but if you want to multi-mob tank, than u need to work on ur block value, at least 22% in my personal experience.

I am just in my standard boss tanking gear I have the beginnings of a BV set.
    Thank you for the target though hadn't really set one yet. Time to run the numbers on my BV set.

Got my Val gloves last night now I get to redo all my gems again.
    Note: Current armory has improper gemming -wife aggro prevented making corrections after raid- I love my healer.

Looks good to me!

Only thing I can suggest is putting the +41 stam JC gems into Non-Blue sockets, and regular +24s into the blue ones, you can attain socket bonuses, which, even if by a minuscule amount... help!
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

+ Reply to Thread