+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you gem like this?

Would you gem like this?

I am getting the sneaking suspicion that I am gemming a bit too much for threat/stamina.

Any suggestions for my avoidance levels?

I do have an avoidance set, but it bases my Health at about 26k. That is just pushing my limit to MT our 25 man runs when needed in that gear set.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Hey,

26k health is kind of low I think. Also the exp soft cap is 26, so you could drop that a bit to get some extra stam. You might be fine with 26k but I like a bit more time to hit my ohh crap button. I don't think I would use hit/exp gems, I might do hit/stam and exp/stam gems.

I am certainly not skilled/knowledgeble to be a mt yet so don't take my word for it.

Ben

I would stick on a bit more def since it is the best stat for pure avoidance.

Stick Def on your Back, chest and Shield. you will lose 225 Armor, 200 HP and 40 SBV, your health should not drop very much and you will gain a decent bit of avoidance.

You could also regem a couple of the expertise gems to have dodge/stam on them and still be over the 26 softcap.

Edit:

Ok i imported you into chardev and then set about replacing enough of the Expertise/STAM gems with +8 dodge/+8 Def gems, putting Def in places where you wouldnt lose much HP.

end result, still 29K HP, and a modest rise in avoidance for what i would consider much nicer tanking stats. Expertise is right at the softcap.

Before : chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner

After : chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner
    Last edited by Warwench; 03-16-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

Does this look low on avoidance for an EH/Progression set? If I dont need to change the gems, I wont. Just know that the numbers could look low, but not really be

I think it's not bad... but your current stuff is obviously slanted towards threat. I dont know your DPS and how your doing in relation to them.

I know when I was tanking (Fury right now) i was about 28.5K unbuffed and 25/20/18 for my avoidance stats. I think you could certainly swap in a couple of pieces with some dodge on them and move some gems around to get a bit of balance.

It's just my personal opinion, but for being a MT i would ignore Shield Block Rating all together, pretty much Shield Block Value aswell and focus on being at the softcaps for threat stats, having a decent HP Pool (28K+ unbuffed) and as much dodge as you can get without sacrificing too many other things.

Block is practically uselss on most fights unless you stack ungodly amounts of it and then your other stats suffer a lot. Dodge is great, every attack you dodge = win. HP is awesome and Armor too for absorbing the ones you dont avoid.

modest amounts of block and SBV are nice, i certainyl don't advocate letting them go altogether, just wouldnt worry about upping them, what ever comes on gear naturally and ignore those stats when evaluating gear.

This is just my view, others way differ.

For an effective health set yours is great. I don't like or have ever liked gemming for hit, I think it's a waste of a socket, regardless of the socket bonus.

I'm still of a mind-set that block rating is good to have, and I hate having it below 20%, but that's probably because I haven't seen an article on it yet.

If I could get away with using the armor enchant to cloak, and health to chest I'd do it in a heart beat, just to prep for EHing Ulduar 25 (even though overall it might not even be needed)

Personally it makes me suspicious any time I see a Tank sitting exactly at 540. Makes me wonder if he or she appreciates the benefits of Defense beyond that point, or has just been shuffling gear around because they think there's no reason to ever go above 540.

I know why you think that, Kerchunk. But I was attempting to max expertise as much as possible w/ a couple of upgrades that I received this last week (shoulders, shield). For this reason, I dropped the defense enchants on chest, shield, and back to see where it would take me.

Not sure it will stay this way, just getting opinions on options. Yes, defense is extremely good.

Wow Warwench. Thank you very much for the profiles. Visualization helps everything!

+ Reply to Thread