+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tankadin Looking for tips *gems/spec/gear*

Tankadin Looking for tips *gems/spec/gear*

Hey! First time poster long time browser, I'm just wondering if my gear/build is sufficient for tanking 10 man Malygos. I'm trying to get the most threat out of my current gear as I can because my guild has an Affliction lock with crazy DPS. I believe I'm hit capped, just wondering if in doing so I sacraficed too much health/avoidance in the process. I don't have enough expertise for the soft cap but I heard that's not nearly as important for pallys as for warriors (I have the SoV glyph so 18 expertise). Also if my spec can be given a once over any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

The World of Warcraft Armory

You need ardent defender. You don't really need benediction. Its sort of a choice between pursuit of justice and seal of the pure, you can't have both unless someone else is casting kings. So, if you're able to move maly without PoJ, SotP will be better threat so give up benediction/PoJ for AD. I tend to find that PoJ is useful for moving quickly to grab a post vortex spark. Your mileage may vary.

For maly, you aren't going to get a lot out of laventhor's so you may want to swap in a dps/pvp trinket. The best would be darkmoon card greatness, but things like battlemasters conviction, fury of five flights, anvil of titans, or good old mirror of truth will all buff your threat. Don't forget you can hand of salvation the lock if its just the one guy that's a problem.

Check a recount/WWS dump and see how often you're being parried. If its a decent amount supplement your expertise with buf food. I think you're going to get more return out of strength food, however.

Not to put the burden all on you, your job is to do as much threat as possible, the dps job is to not generate more than that. If they go nuke, they will pull and they will die. Its not one of the fights that dps gets to ignore omen.

Awesome! Thank you for the response! I think I have my spec figured out now. So you said expertise isn't that important? Should I still get 26 for the soft cap with gems or just gem for strength and eat the expertise food for the buff? I've got the hit cap right now just wondering if I should push my gear to the expertise cap now.

Edit: Also, just wondering if I'm dumb to gem in hit. lol
    Last edited by Thrune; 03-19-2009 at 05:56 AM.

Expertise is a threat (and mitigation) stat for us, as it hit (tps only), but we don't get the kind of scale out of it that warriors do. At 259 hit, you're not going to get the kind of return out of +hit that you will out of +strength. Your expertise is a bit low, but back to the recount/wws comment, you should be able to see how that's affecting your dps/threat. The primary reasons pally's tend to want expertise is actually the mitigation side of the equation rather than the threat side. Upping it will improve your tps, but check your after action report to see what kind of gain you might get there.

WWS? Sorry I'm not familiar with that. I have recount but I don't see any options for seeing parries. With the SoV glyph and eating the 40 expertise rating food I'm at 26 expertise.

Wow Web Stats Wow Web Stats

So to see parries in recount, click on your own name in recount damage tab. that should pop up a new window with all the things you did which produced damage. click on melee and you'll see your hit/glancing blow/dodge/parry table.

+ Reply to Thread