Closed Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Life Onslaught Armor...

Actually Krazy, if you go look at The Brutalizer - Item - World of Warcraft using the 3D model viewer on Wowhead, you'll see that /it's really more of a club with an axe in it than anything else. The blade looks like this from the front:

Code:
    |        |
     \__  __/
        \/
    FuryMonitor - HUD for Fury Warriors

Ah yeah, that's Eric Dube in Montreal. I'd kill to have access to his hammer machine. I did all the forming with normal hammers for my curved and cupped pieces. Even with the autohammer, there are many, many hours of work in that breastplate.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

I agree with Korlong, that is not an axe in any conventional sense of the word....from the pics of the piece being fabricated currently it does not appear that the angle of the edge is small enough to hold any kind of cutting surface. I understand this is not being made with the intention of hurting anyone, but it appears more as a bludgeon to me than anything else. Please do not take this as a criticism of the idea or crafter, simply an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklor View Post
    Very nice, are you going to need counterweights on the Sword/Shield?

Also, for those curious as to the process of making (generic) plate armor, there's a clip from "How It's Made" up on youtube.

YouTube - How it's made-Suit of armour
    This is absolutely amazing. Maybe it's just my inner geek but wow that looks like a fulfilling job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatt View Post
    I agree with Korlong, that is not an axe in any conventional sense of the word....from the pics of the piece being fabricated currently it does not appear that the angle of the edge is small enough to hold any kind of cutting surface. I understand this is not being made with the intention of hurting anyone, but it appears more as a bludgeon to me than anything else. Please do not take this as a criticism of the idea or crafter, simply an observation.
    Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that a pretty exact replica of the Brutalizer? It seems criticism should be directed at Blizzard's tanking axes imo!

(except Last Laugh plz don't ever stop w/ those models)

For those interested, I'm asking for more release of the blacksmith's information, information on shop tours in Calgary, and pricing for individual items. I can say this, though, to draw up plans for the entire suit of armor, axe, & shield was about $200 American. I can imagine (and these are even less than estimates, consider them informed guesses) that for $100 you could have the plans for any weapon you love in the game and for no more than $500 you could have it made - painted and all. Now - consider that an off-the-shelf sword (I have one, Apocalypse Rider Fantasy Sword 603 by Marto) lists for $514 when it's not on sale. That's not too bad of a deal for a custom fan piece.
    "Feel the fury of the mountain!" ~ King Magni Bronzebeard, Lord of Ironforge

To be perfectly honest, your Brutalizer is a little off. The width of the blade is even. On the Brutalizer, the edge is only about half as thick at the thickest point as the rest of the blade.

Nothing huge, though.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklor View Post
    Very nice, are you going to need counterweights on the Sword/Shield?

Also, for those curious as to the process of making (generic) plate armor, there's a clip from "How It's Made" up on youtube.

YouTube - How it's made-Suit of armour
    That was really cool. Impressive to see the process and the finished product. I can't imagine the craftsmanship that must have been lost from the 1400s or so to now, even though that guy in the video does really good work. Some of the pictures I've seen of really old pieces that survived are just really ornate and beautiful, amazing to think they did that all by hand.

I think the key thing about the Brutalizer that King is having crafted is that it's instantly recognizable by anyone who has seen one. Looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

The wider blade is something I approved in the sketches. I was concerned with bending the blade with it being so small on the game's Brutalizer. It really is an axe-shaped club with a tiny blade on it. Having the 2" wide club come to an edge all at once seemed more practical. Good observation, though.

Ah, I see.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

Just awesome. Im looking forward to see new pics of the process.
    The best evidence that there has to be intelligent live in the universe, is that no one ever tried to contact us. - Calvin & Hobbes -

i cant wait to see shoulders, T6 shoulders were by far the best ever

Just wanted to respond and say that I'm very excited to see the finished product. T6 is one of the best looking sets in the game, up there with Judgement.

Very Awesome

I'm glad you have the resources to make this come true, like many have said they would love to have a set but just don't have the disposable income, so by doing this, its like you are fullfilling many nerds dreams at once Very very awesome, and its great you are taking the time to really really invest in how it looks.

HOWEVER, you know when you get it done you'll have to fight Truck-a-sauras in place of a real Ony or Sapphiron!

HOWEVER, you know when you get it done you'll have to fight Truck-a-sauras in place of a real Ony or Sapphiron!
    How freaking awesome would it be to stage that at the 2010 BlizzCon!!!!! OMG, I'd totally be there! Find 25-40 people to all make their favorite armors (you know there'd be tons at BlizzCon). That guy with the Judgement set would be there. His girl friend that was in the priest costume. All of us fighting Truck-a-saurus! OMG, the awesomeness of that can't even be comprehended. I just hope that guy from the video throwing paper balls yelling, "Fireball" doesn't show up. I wonder what the lewt would be.

I got some more info from the armorer. Not all of it is good. He doesn't give tours of the shop or anything like that. It sounds like he's more of an independent contractor of Valentine Armouries. If you want to buy something, though, you're more than welcome to stop by. He's mostly concerned with keeping on schedule with so many visitors.

Second, the price of the axe and shield as a standalone item. His estimate is $800 for the axe, $900 for the shield. He's not charging for the armor, or a labor rate, or anything. He charges for shop time. His shop needs about $1000/week to stay open. He does the work and however long it takes, that's what you pay for. With that in mind, he's estimating it would take about 5-6 days for those items. The good news is that with me being the guinea pig, so to speak, the pattern's kinks will be worked out. He can just remake what he already knows how to do and maybe improve upon it. I linked him the 3D models in WoWHead and he noted that something simple like Deathbringer - Item - World of Warcraft would only be around $500.

He also wanted me to pass on that he not only does armor, but metal art, too. Personally, he made the sarcophagus that held Marcus from Underworld II as well as the armor. So, if you want a metal art piece you could get that as well. All info can really be researched at Valentine Armouries Home Page. Just send an e-mail to them if you want to get the ball rolling on something. They're really friendly and helpful. Before this, I'd never done anything with armors or weapons. Now I'm knee-deep in this epic project. It was all as simple as an e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, isn't that a pretty exact replica of the Brutalizer? It seems criticism should be directed at Blizzard's tanking axes imo!

(except Last Laugh plz don't ever stop w/ those models)
    Still waiting patiently for one to drop

(first KT kill in january)

I wonder how many Master Chief suit requests your guy gets.

Hate to burst a bubble

If you're planning on taking the Brutalizer and/or Bulwark thing to Blizzcon 2009/2010. You may want to read the rules first.

Note that costumes may not include or otherwise utilize any edged weapons (such as knives, daggers, swords), firearms of any kind including airguns, long bows, crossbows, or any other type of projectile weapon regardless of whether it is unloaded or nonfunctional; ‘actual’ clubs, maces, or other ‘crushing weapons.’ Acceptable costume ‘weapon props’ will be limited to air filled or soft plastic swords, daggers, maces or clubs, and wooden staves that are not shod with metal.
    Taking from BlizzCon 2008's costume rules page.

That being said. I can't wait to see the whole get up finished. It will definitely be a story to tell the grand kids about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigear View Post
    Note that costumes may not include or otherwise utilize any edged weapons (such as knives, daggers, swords), firearms of any kind including airguns, long bows, crossbows, or any other type of projectile weapon regardless of whether it is unloaded or nonfunctional; ‘actual’ clubs, maces, or other ‘crushing weapons.’ Acceptable costume ‘weapon props’ will be limited to air filled or soft plastic swords, daggers, maces or clubs, and wooden staves that are not shod with metal.
    the fact they are all ending up being box-construction may help (since that could be argued as "air filled" no?). But checking with officials would be a very good idea... if nothing else, they may invite you to appear in the armor to display it, even if they prohibit you from actually participating in the contest (if they made an exception to allow you in the contest, then they'd have to deal with the precedent it would set. If they invite you simply to appear at the con, it's their own prerogative to repeat the invite to others in the future). Expecting a rule similar to this was why I was kind of shocked at the "complaints"/observations earlier in the thread about how the brutalizer didn't look "sharp" in the pictures -- a sharp edge on the blade will definitely be a bad thing if you're planning on taking it to any cons/fests to show it off, as nearly all of them would prohibit any truly dangerous (or even potentially dangerous) "weapons" from being in the hands of anyone they can't exert some degree of control and/or liability over...

The question may boil down to whether you're looking to specifically win the contest, or if that was merely a means to achieve uber-geek status (which you may have already managed with just this thread )
    Last edited by Berzerker; 03-20-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    I'm a tank. I like the beatings.

The edge doesn't have to be sharp, y'know.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

Closed Thread