+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help identifying laggy addon

Help identifying laggy addon

i need some advice to track down which addon is causing me grief. i was doing a 25-man OS2D run last night and i was assigned to adds. i was having some trouble with my interface acting up. specifically, it would freeze/release/freeze/release - i noticed the worst case was right when the whelps would hatch. i would run in, hit TC - then a good 2-3 sec freeze before i could move again.

the hard part about diagnosing this is reproducing it - i have no trouble in most any other instance.

if any addon gurus can make an educated guess on what would be especially laggy with TC on lotsa adds, i would appreciate it. the major addons i run are:

pitbull (no portraits) with raid frames on
    bartender
    elkbuffbars
    bigwigs (although i was disabling it)
    cartographer
    fubar
    omen
    default blizz combat text

i don't think it's my PC, as it's a fairly new quad core running XP with 2GB DDR3 + 9800GT. i tried turning video setting down, but it made little difference, making me think an addon is the culprit.

P.S. please don't tell me it's pitbull - i can't live without pitbull.
    Last edited by marklar; 03-13-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: duh, forgot bartender 4

Check for addons whose memory use grows quickly. 1K/s is fine, 100K/s is probably not.
    FuryMonitor - HUD for Fury Warriors

so, do you think it's memory usage causing the problem? i was thinking it would be something that hogged CPU cycles that would cause it to freeze like that.

i'll take a look at memory tonight.

I use and really like Pitbull, but it is prone to problems. I had an issue the other night in a Sarth2 kill where just the updates to the raid frames was making me chuggy. Try disabling things you don't absolutely need to see like +heals and +dmg on the frames, whatever you think you don't need to see in the heat of the moment.

The other culprit on my machine anyway is Recount. It's a pig, a highly useful pig but an oinker just the same. You didn't list it, but if you have it I'd maybe suggest leaving it disabled and letting someone else run it if you want some data from it.
    Last edited by kolben; 03-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Quote Originally Posted by kolben View Post
    The other culprit on my machine anyway is Recount. It's a pig, a highly useful pig but an oinker just the same. You didn't list it, but if you have it I'd maybe suggest leaving it disabled and letting someone else run it if you want some data from it.
    yes, i used to run recount but i disabled that one long ago. it made a HUGE improvement in 25's for me.

good point on pitbull - i think maybe i'll just turn off raid frames for this encounter. when i'm on adds, picking them up and avoiding being a dumdum (firewall/voids), is all i really care about.

if anyone has any more ideas, i actually was able to reproduce this in another environment. running azjol-nerub, on the first boss, when the little spiders spawn. i hit thunder clasp, and instant 2-3 second freeze. so it definitely seems to be related to that type of event - thunderclapping a large group of adds is worst case.

i checked memory usage, and nothing seems out of the ordinary - cartographer sits on top, and no rapid increases.

i disabled the buffbars completely, and turned off most effects in pitbull.

i guess now that i have an easier place to reproduce it, i can to some tests runs with various stuff disabled - i'll post if i figure anything out.

Large memory use isn't a big deal, it's fast growth that causes problems as it triggers the Garbage Collector.

I'm not familiar with any techniques for CPU-profiling addons though. I'm interested if anyone has any suggestions, as it would allow me to profile my addon.

Edit: this looks fancy, I might actually give it a try myself tonight. The last release date is worrisome though.
    Last edited by Korlong; 03-18-2009 at 11:57 AM.
    FuryMonitor - HUD for Fury Warriors

Have you tried just turning off all addons just to see if it happens in that situation?
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Have you tried just turning off all addons just to see if it happens in that situation?
    meh, That is what I was suppost to say ;<
    Hybrid - Druid/Paladin

I had the same issue, lag in 25mans was brutal. 2-3 FPS, I couldn't even move.

About 3 weeks ago I said enough of this s^%^ and spent like 2 days looking through various forums and came up with a fix, atleast for me.

From my understanding, add-ons like recount are real hogs. But so is the combat log. One thing you can try is, right click on that window and try disabling most or all of what gets sent to the combat log.

If you do that and it doesn't help, maybe try this:
    /run COMBATLOG:UnregisterEvent("COMBAT_LOG_EVENT")

You'll want to macro it probably, as you will have to hit it everytime you logged out. By doing those things, I don't have nearly the lag in 25mans and have picked up 15-20 FPS in raids.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    i haven't gone bare yet - i've been trying to work my way down. i had thought i was seeing a big improvement with bartender off, but i can't understand the connection.

i guess i can try running AN in normal mode with no addons just for a repeatable test, but i'm now wondering if it's a server issue. last night i was doing zombiefest and i was in charge of rounding up zombies. i got to where the group was waiting by the start of the gauntlet, then as soon as my zombie army came out the door - instant disconnect for me + one other party member.

i will also try the combat log thing dirt, thanks for the tip.

+ Reply to Thread