+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some Advice / Pointers

Need some Advice / Pointers

Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get some help here, I just hit 80 last night and now I can look at grinding heroics. Doing some research here, and on a few other sites, I have found that Heroic Gundrak seems to have the best options as far as gear upgrades, with a Helmet, shoulders and gloves all as possible drops. As well the red sword of courage is a tanking must in UP

So my question is this, am i ready for those 2 instances? or do I need to cut my teeth on easier 5 mans first. I should say that this is my second 80 and I have done most 5 man heroics and even 25 man OS and VoA on my Shaman, but i have yet to tank any heroics.

I think stat wise I'm as good as I can get before Heroics,
    HP - 21041
    Armor - 21498 - 58.53% DR
    Defense - 540
    Dodge - 17%
    Parry - 15.17%
    Block - 15.6%

Just wondering if I can try for the gear upgrades yet or if I should do the easier heroics to build my wyrmrest rep first?

You should be able to all heroics with a competent healer. Make sure you use Wyrmest tabard. There's 2 or 3 very good items there.

I wasn't even crit immune when I dinged 80 and walked into my first heroic. I was still in my T6/sunwell gear. As long as you know what you're doing and your healer is awake you will be fine.

Thanks guys.

I had heard all you really need is around 535 defense and about 20K Hp to tank any heroic, but a fellow prot warrior in my guild also just started tanking heroics and was having trouble in pug groups. I suspect it had more to do with the DPS going all out as soon as she pulled rather than give her a second or two to build some threat.

I just wanted some re-assurance I'm not getting in over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkunsun View Post
    Thanks guys.

I had heard all you really need is around 535 defense and about 20K Hp to tank any heroic, but a fellow prot warrior in my guild also just started tanking heroics and was having trouble in pug groups. I suspect it had more to do with the DPS going all out as soon as she pulled rather than give her a second or two to build some threat.

I just wanted some re-assurance I'm not getting in over my head.
    I've pugged a lot and based on my experience pugs aren't going to want you based on the 21K. I suspect you'll have busted groups when healers have trouble keeping you up and there is more than one wipe. Yes, it is totally wrong to be judged on health alone but as one pugger told me: "I'm assuming if your health is high then you have the gear" which is true to some degree. You can stack as much stam as you want but cannot reach 30K with low level gear. So right or wrong it is a bit of a gauge puggers use.

You have a lot of options for more health. Looking at your armory it doesn't appear as if you have anything enchanted. You have two gathering professions so you haven't advanced your cause with crafter profession only gear and I'll presume the two gathering skills net you a lot of gold. If that is the case then where is your shotgun?

Crit trinket is a total waste imo and the Regal trinket is all BC and is very weak.

You might consider dropping skinning and power leveling JC.

You could do it but pugs will be rough for you and you'll be last picked when multiple tanks are in LFG.

I found this to be true with pugs as well. Even now with about 28K health 24K armor and 560 defense pugs can be rough. You might be able to get an invite to pug a 10 man VOA. Sounds funny but that is how I started getting gear. By all means put your character thru be.imba.hu and gem and enchant everything..... it shows others you are doing what you can. HOL reg I think you can pick up Eternally folded blade which is good until you can get your Red Sword of courage. VOA 10 and Sarth 10 man are pretty easy and do not take much time.

You should probably just link your armory and have posted this to the appropriate forum.

Moved. Please read rules located in my signature and at the top of each forum before posting.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Punchingbag View Post
    I've pugged a lot and based on my experience pugs aren't going to want you based on the 21K. I suspect you'll have busted groups when healers have trouble keeping you up and there is more than one wipe. Yes, it is totally wrong to be judged on health alone but as one pugger told me: "I'm assuming if your health is high then you have the gear" which is true to some degree. You can stack as much stam as you want but cannot reach 30K with low level gear. So right or wrong it is a bit of a gauge puggers use.

You have a lot of options for more health. Looking at your armory it doesn't appear as if you have anything enchanted. You have two gathering professions so you haven't advanced your cause with crafter profession only gear and I'll presume the two gathering skills net you a lot of gold. If that is the case then where is your shotgun?

Crit trinket is a total waste imo and the Regal trinket is all BC and is very weak.

You might consider dropping skinning and power leveling JC.

You could do it but pugs will be rough for you and you'll be last picked when multiple tanks are in LFG.
    Yeah this is definitely a problem I'm working on buffing my HP as well as threat stats as I gear up but I think it's going to be be slow going. I've also been thinking of grinding a crafting profession. I originally picked up the two gathering to help some alts gather mats and get money but it looks like tanking requires a good profession. It looks like JC is the winner over BS for best crafting profession and since I already have a BS JC looks like the best option.

Thanks for the advice I'll look at getting JC going this week. I know my trinkets suck but I just haven't found anything good yet questing. As for the Shotgun i was trying to be cheap and not buy the titanium and mine it myself but I think I'll break down and buy the bars I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    You should probably just link your armory and have posted this to the appropriate forum.

Moved. Please read rules located in my signature and at the top of each forum before posting.
    Yes, sorry about that, this really does belong in the Halp! section, I'll try and pay more attention in the future to which area I post in.

+ Reply to Thread