+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are Druids buffed or nerfed in 3.1?

Are Druids buffed or nerfed in 3.1?

All druids are very well aware that in the next patch, 3.1, we are losing an edge on HP and Armor... around 5-8% of your total HP and Armor in Bear Form sadly , But do not fear, Blizz is here! That's right we're also getting the ability to block based on your critical strike chance and your AP. The next blow you take is blocked for 25% of your AP after a critical strike is dealt (which is around 1000-1300 Block value for most Bears between heroics to 25 man gear). Ussually a Bear tank can range between 28-35% critical strike chance at a 2 second swing time plus instant casts constantly rolling and of course the new ability for our Lacerate dot to crit, which puts you at a likely chance of blocking almost every blow taken from a raid boss. Thats a mouth full I know, now the hard part, is this a buff or a nerf? To me as a feral druid I have always wanted to be able to block, I drooled over pallies for there high block chance and warriors for crit blocking, it's like a dream come true except for the fact I am getting bonked on the rest of my stats.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a needed reduc on Druid Effective Health, but if Feral block isn't even worth anything in most situations like some people say, then I'm not getting anything back for what I am losing...

I AM THE TAURMINATOR!!!

I dont really know... I just know if im getting block, i better get ass slam (shield slam)
    You do realize why the Borg are so bad at making dimmer switches don't you?
    Resistance is futile.

SD is going to be terrible on multiple mobs but assuming 40% avoidance and 40% crit (both low for a raid buffed 10-25 man geared druid), it will have an 86% uptime on single target assuming 2 second base swing speed on non DW bosses (then applying IW or TC or imp icy touch to reduce it)

Right now there are a lot of issues with it procing correctly. There is a lot of data and checks for the server to your comp and back so until a lot of it get's fixed up we might not even see this right away on live. I've seen logs where the the druid got a crit but had the shield not proc etc. So until they can get it to a working condition I don't think we'll see a lose to our armor.

If blizzard does what they are trying to do, we shouldn't really go anywhere buff/nerf wise but when has that ever paned out?

Well it's not that they want to nerf Druid's is the thing. They want to lower our HP and Armor so it's down to a decent rate where we can't take a ridiculous blow from a boss special and live without snapping a CD. I'm all for that, it's broken no doubt about it, but what I am concerned about is that they are fixing that little problem and attempting to get us something different that won't make up for what we're losing. I don't get why they don't just give us a normal block, they could keep it based on crit and AP... but just make it proc normally, that way it would work better with AOE tanking and such...
    Last edited by Taurminator; 03-13-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Lowering the bears Armor/HP as stated, is not a nerf, more an attempt to fix the broken mechanic for fights like sarth 3d, to prevent things from happening like that in the future.

As far as the bear block, (BB?), unless you've ever raided as a pali/warrior, you have no idea how powerful of a mitigation it can be in certain situations. Now, while I agree it's quite junk on bosses, especially such as patchwerk, it will do wonders for bears AoE tanking ability, putting them on the levels of even palies.
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Glomgore View Post
    Lowering the bears Armor/HP as stated, is not a nerf, more an attempt to fix the broken mechanic for fights like sarth 3d, to prevent things from happening like that in the future.

As far as the bear block, (BB?), unless you've ever raided as a pali/warrior, you have no idea how powerful of a mitigation it can be in certain situations. Now, while I agree it's quite junk on bosses, especially such as patchwerk, it will do wonders for bears AoE tanking ability, putting them on the levels of even palies.

it will be really BAD for aoe tanking actually, the more you have on you the more ineffective it becomes actually

Since we arent having our dodge nerfed (I dunno, are we?) I dont really see a problem with multi-mob tanking ahead. Im not one those druids that stacks heavy HP anyways. I go dodge/agi over stam anyways unless I dont have an option and its not uncommon for me to not be the HP king when im running naxx with fellow guildmates. In fact, last week I wasnt.....(BloodDK)

Question about SD - Lets say Im tanking......4 mobs. I stack laci and such on my main target while swiping and mauling, the usual fare.

Scenario-

1) Laci on my main target crits, giving me SD, and i block my main targets damage by whatever %. hooray!

2) I tab over to a second target and stack Laci up to 2, return to main target, and that laci tick crits.....do I get an SD for that secondary targets next attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev13 View Post
    Since we arent having our dodge nerfed (I dunno, are we?) I dont really see a problem with multi-mob tanking ahead. Im not one those druids that stacks heavy HP anyways. I go dodge/agi over stam anyways unless I dont have an option and its not uncommon for me to not be the HP king when im running naxx with fellow guildmates. In fact, last week I wasnt.....(BloodDK)

Question about SD - Lets say Im tanking......4 mobs. I stack laci and such on my main target while swiping and mauling, the usual fare.

Scenario-

1) Laci on my main target crits, giving me SD, and i block my main targets damage by whatever %. hooray!

2) I tab over to a second target and stack Laci up to 2, return to main target, and that laci tick crits.....do I get an SD for that secondary targets next attack?
    1st of all, as far as we have tested lacerate crits do not proc SD

2) the crit does not protect you against the next attack from the victim of the crit, it absorbs 1 attack, period, against any target

3) swipe is more threat than lacerate, if you build a5 stack and let it fall even once, you should have just been swiping from the start, and spaming lacerate is significantly less threat than spaming swipe even on single target

I see something in this not many people see apparently. We have the opportunity to stack crit and AP and gain mitigation from those stats, meaning that we can worry less about balancing mitigation with threat. Agility will be an even better stat for us now and strength will be more important also. While I'm not exactly pleased about losing our HP edge and some of our armor, I don't see this as a nerf at all. This may, however, be somewhat of a nerf in PVP where possible scarcity of rage would result in our block procing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    1st of all, as far as we have tested lacerate crits do not proc SD

2) the crit does not protect you against the next attack from the victim of the crit, it absorbs 1 attack, period, against any target

3) swipe is more threat than lacerate, if you build a5 stack and let it fall even once, you should have just been swiping from the start, and spaming lacerate is significantly less threat than spaming swipe even on single target
    dot crits proccing SD might go a long way to shoring up the percieved incoming deficiencies in tanking lots of trash.

secondly, im not talking about substituing tab-laci for Swipe. and I didnt say I would build a 5 stack. Im not stupid, im just not on the ptr

The short answer is that druids were nerfed to take approximately the same damage on boss fights as the other tanking classes, even with SD debugged we will take more damage on large trash pulls than the other tanking classes, and we bring less tanking-specific utility than the other tanking classes.

In other words as things are now on the ptr bears are fine unless you are in a min-maxing guild, in which case you will be a cat, an owl, or a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev13 View Post
    dot crits proccing SD might go a long way to shoring up the percieved incoming deficiencies in tanking lots of trash.

secondly, im not talking about substituing tab-laci for Swipe. and I didnt say I would build a 5 stack. Im not stupid, im just not on the ptr

dot crits pocing SD will do nothing for tanking trash, 1 hit removes the shield, you should NEVER use lacerate for more than 1 mob

SD is bad for trash, period, it was never designed to be good against multiple mobs

it is a single target mitigation tool end of story

Quote Originally Posted by Borowiin View Post
    I see something in this not many people see apparently. We have the opportunity to stack crit and AP and gain mitigation from those stats, meaning that we can worry less about balancing mitigation with threat. Agility will be an even better stat for us now and strength will be more important also. While I'm not exactly pleased about losing our HP edge and some of our armor, I don't see this as a nerf at all. This may, however, be somewhat of a nerf in PVP where possible scarcity of rage would result in our block procing less.

Agility is already too important to us. Strength is really only on our accessories so we will only see small upgrades in strength, even with more AP we aren't going to be blocking for a lot more as you get more gear.

+ Reply to Thread