+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick Question: DPS attacks parried

Quick Question: DPS attacks parried

So I am educating some of my DPS on the benefits of Expertise as some are pretty low and get alot of dodges. in addition to dodges however i am finding they get an awful lot of parries too.

1) This tells me they don't position behind the boss properly correct? Is it realistic to expect perfect positioning from DPS? Do the rest of you see your DPS able to get 0% parries?

2) if a DPS is parried this causes haste to the Boss' next melee swing correct? And this swing is it directed at the DPS? or at me the tank? is this the parry gib i have seen mentioned?

thanks for helping me clear this up in my head
    Last edited by frater; 03-12-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: attempt at grammar correction, probably made it worse

1. Depends on the fight - yes for Patch, no for Heigan for example Must admit I've never examined our dps parries.
    2. It causes next swing to be faster only if a certain period of time left on swing (I'll leave someone else to explain the details, cos I'll only get them wrong). Swing is directed at whoever (hopefully the tank) the boss is currently swinging at. Worth noting not all bosses are parry-hasted, the really really big hitters tend not to be.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

So is there a concern that DPS not positioning properly getting too many parries is resulting in increased damage on the tank that is more difficult to heal through?

Or is it negligible and of little concern?

Depends on the boss, largely. On a boss that hits for very little (say, Lotheb), then the parry haste isn't going to matter too much, as his hits can be fully blocked anyhow. The main threat of a parry-haste is that it results in spike damage, and if it comes at the wrong time... your healers may not be able to make up for it, and you'll get parry-gibbed. This is especially true if the boss parries multiple times in a row (when a boss parries, depending on which one it is [ie, Patchwerk doesn't parry-haste], it speeds up his swing by 40%. I believe this can only happen once per swing, however, but if it happens multiple swings in a row, that is a lot of damage very quickly).

Ideally, you want your DPS having as few parries as possible, both to increase their DPS and to increase your survivability.

Staying behind the mob: not always possible (see: Thaddius), sometimes mandatory (see: dragons, Grob).

DPS should always be behind the boss if possible. Parries don't just hurt you - they hurt the DPS as well. On the other hand, I don't mind the odd parry on Saph or the like when the DPS is just playing the Tail Swipe conservatively.

Keep in mind that if a boss does a turn-and-cast thing (say, some sort of instant debuff) the melee may get a parry or two despite being behind him. You can't do anything about those.

+ Reply to Thread