+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What fights would be better for parry or dodge?

What fights would be better for parry or dodge?

Im a warrior and Ive acquired the Rune of Repulsion from H Saph because our DK tank already has it and I also still have the Valor Medal of the First War.

Im thinking that some bosses may be better for parry and some may just be overall dodge.

can anyone help?
    Tanks: Only we can take an arrow to the face and still live.

I think the most important thing to take care about is the pure avoidance.

Probably the Valor Medal of the First War gives to you more avoidance than the Rune of Repulsion but you can try Rating Buster and see by yourself.

I like also Repelling Charge. It gives a little less avoidance than the Valor Medal, but it gives lots of defense. It's my favorite avoidance trinket (i don't like the use, but passively I think it's better than the another ones).

PS. Forgive me for my english

Quote Originally Posted by melkhior View Post
    I like also Repelling Charge. It gives a little less avoidance than the Valor Medal, but it gives lots of defense. It's my favorite avoidance trinket (i don't like the use, but passively I think it's better than the another ones).
    Same, same. It's a great trinket that will probably last us long into the endgame.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

I'm not a huge fan of rune of repulsion. I'm hard pressed to think of a situation where I'd use it over valor medal of the first war and repelling charge. This is due to diminishing returns issues, and the fact that for whatever reason parry has a much lower DR ceiling than dodge. If you don't know what I mean, do a search on this forum for diminishing returns, and you'll get articles that are well-written and with a lot of math supporting them that I can't really do justice to here.

Here goes a try, though. TL;DR : when you have a choice, prefer stacking dodge and defense over parry when given the option with items of equal or approximately equal stat budgets. This doesn't mean REFUSE to take parry gear, or keep your blue quest gear because it has more dodge, but it does mean that you get more avoidance out of dodge than parry as your gear gets better.

However, your post raises another big red flag for me. Parry and dodge are both forms of avoidance. Generally, tanks care about three things; avoidance, effective health, and threat.

You'll almost never be switching a pure avoidance piece like this one for another pure avoidance piece like the valor medal to optimize for a particular fight. You might switch it out for a better threat piece or a better effective health piece, though.

I think you might need to take a step back and think a bit more about why you're switching your gear around, because with the exception of DR for tanking purposes parry and dodge are pretty much equivalent unless you're a druid.

+ Reply to Thread