+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So whats the word on Rend and tanking?

So whats the word on Rend and tanking?

I remember seeing a heated discussion with no true conclusion as to whether Imp Rend in your rotation is worth it.

I know my guild MT uses it, and while only keeping up to 5% hit rating he can push 2.5k on Patchwerk. WoW Meter Online - Combatlog Replay in Engrish

Myself meanwhile has gotten to 2.3k at most. I tend to suffer from lousy FPS in 25 mans, but I'm just wondering if it's his gear that has him pull ahead of me, or is it his spec? He has just about every tanking item in the game being the Main Tank and all, I'm still rocking Crest of Lorderon and Red Sword of Courage, would being on his level push me above his level?

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...e-so-sure.html

Short Version: Increases damage when used properly in the rotation but screwing up the rotation nets out to a loss. Generally not worth the effort.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Plugging my own post here, but this is the most complete, up-to-date analysis out there that I'm aware of. I did a large amount of math on Rend to work out the numbers.

Without looking in-depth, I seem to recall that it's a tiny increase in DPS and TPS, but due to the GCD heavy rotation of Warriors there's hardly a place in your rotation where it's worth putting in rend without screwing up the rotation.

In other words, if
    Shield Slam is on CD and
    Revenge isn't lid and
    Conc clow is on CD and
    Shockwave is on CD and
    5 Sunders are up and
    TC is up and
    You have enough rage and

THEN it's ok to put in Rend

I'm probably missing a few here, but the gist of the matter is that Rend has a VERY low priority, and even with all the above factors being ok to use Rend, you can't disregard SnB procs, it's almost always worth it to refresh TC etc. I really don't use Rend at all, I prefer gambling for a SnB proc from Devastate.
    Last edited by Eide; 03-12-2009 at 01:28 AM.

With imp rend, I use it ^_^ partly solo, partly DPS when threat isnt an issue. It's not max threat, but it will net you steadier threat and more DPS
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

Eide, you're definitely right about Rend being hard to work into the rotation. It's pretty far down on the priority list. However, the nice thing about it is that you don't want to even think of applying it again for 15s. I did some simulations on it, and if you're playing pretty well you can afford to use it roughly every 17 seconds without sacrificing survivability or threat.

Oh yes, I agree most definatly Shiz.

Mostly though, while tanking, I'm also watching the raid, I often lead raids ect, I don't have the free brainpower to watch of of that and intergrate Rend into my rotation comfortably. If you can afford to concentrate on your rotation 100%, than yeah, it's a nice abilty to use.

I mostly tend to use it when I need to kite or as a last ability on some mob if when I got to rush to pick up something else (KT, Anub'rehkan, Gothink), in other words, extremely situational and it really doesn't add anything to the tanking evironment, it's just a nice 'filler' ability.

I don't have the free brainpower to watch of of that and intergrate Rend into my rotation comfortably.
    I'm in the same boat. I could use Rend for the slight DPS/TPS increase, but right now it's not worth the extra keybind due to the amount of attention I have to give it. I'd like to start working it in on Patchwerk and see how things go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by shiz98 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I could use Rend for the slight DPS/TPS increase, but right now it's not worth the extra keybind due to the amount of attention I have to give it. I'd like to start working it in on Patchwerk and see how things go from there.
    Last patchwerk I did I was able to fit in rend once during the last 10% of his health. The entire fight was 2 min 17 seconds so it didnt even get a spot between anything until the very end.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Hrm, really? That seems a little wrong, to be honest. It could be that the short fight length + CD's was messing it up. What was your priority list?

+ Reply to Thread