+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: 4k DPS patchwerk (Warrior)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    48

    4k DPS patchwerk (Warrior)

    Just touched 4k in my current raid, I have a screenshot for now, after raid I'll post a WWS. I frapsed it as well.

    The spec I used actually is not prot but mainly arms and I was averaging over 10k TPS spamming Revenge and Heroic strike until I broke my fingers and refreshing sunder.

    The only consumables I used were an AP flask and Expertise food.

    A few of my pieces were dps, I'll have a link to the gear later but here is the spec used.

    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

    and here is a screenshot of someones dps meter linked in raid

    ImageShack - Image Hosting :: wowscrnshot012109233042gn6.jpg


    *edit* heres the wws Wow Web Stats
    Last edited by Mefear; 01-22-2009 at 12:58 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    552
    Post a link to your armory.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    48
    The World of Warcraft Armory

    It has the gear I used on it atm so don't know how long that will last until it refreshes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,630
    Yeah it's been done several times and was already talked about, unrelenting assault arms "prot" spec
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,766
    I'm doing a run-through on every boss w/ this build. It may be the new main tank spec.

    It is absolutely horrid on trash, though, so you really need to be doing this in a 25-man where you'll have other tanks.

    Gothik it does not do well on for obvious reasons, in either phase 1 or phase 2. Kel'thuzad I haven't done w/ this spec.


    Finally, please check my Armory for my talent spec. Believe me, those points in Fury are wasted once you realize you can do ~20% more damage by going farther in Prot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,630
    What's the point of having a main tank spec that makes the tank a steaming pile of ass for the majority of the instance (you know, trash?)
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    48
    yea I like it as a TPS and DPS spec, but other than that trash like you said is horrid and actual mitigation is pretty bad as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    109
    To give the OT something to do.

    Two questions: Do you ever use Mortal Strike? Are you using intercept to make up for the loss of Warbringer?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    48
    nope the rotation is stack 5 sunders> spam Heroic strike/Revenge and refresh sunder a few seconds before it falls off

    and for most of the points they are just fillers, the intercept can fill for warbringer but I'm usually not the one tanking trash with that spec so there is no reason to go zipping around.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post
    What's the point of having a main tank spec that makes the tank a steaming pile of ass for the majority of the instance (you know, trash?)
    Yep. This is entirely true, and given that it is sub-par for both Kel'thuzad and Sartharion w/ drakes, it's situational at best. Gothik is a footnote right now so I'm not considering him.

    My rationale is that, if you have 3-4 tanks in a 25-man raid and you don't mind respecing at the end of the night, this spec isn't bad for one tank to run with. You're giving up Critical Block, Warbringer, and 2% Stamina, and you're gaining 20% or more damage output.

    The sad thing about all this is I've realized how completely dependent I've become on Warbringer. I can't believe we tanked w/o it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefear View Post
    nope the rotation is stack 5 sunders> spam Heroic strike/Revenge and refresh sunder a few seconds before it falls off

    and for most of the points they are just fillers, the intercept can fill for warbringer but I'm usually not the one tanking trash with that spec so there is no reason to go zipping around.
    We have 3 Prot Warriors, so I don't touch Sunder.

    Sunder is horrid w/ this. The GCDs you waste on it are 100% wasted. If you're the only Prot Warrior, do not think about running this spec.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    48
    yea i wasn't min maxin it, just trying something new and winning gold that I could beat someone on dps on patchwerk.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude View Post
    To give the OT something to do.

    Two questions: Do you ever use Mortal Strike? Are you using intercept to make up for the loss of Warbringer?
    I am using Intercept to make up for Warbringer, but it's really not a substitute. Warbringer is better than any single mobility talent/ability in this game, for any class. (Not making that statement for PVP due to DR)


    Mortal Strike is a waste of a GCD. Revenge and Shield Slam will both always hit harder than it. I've considered using Mortal Strike just in case my Shield Slam is on cooldown and Revenge hasn't lit up, but instead I use Shield Block w/ my Shield Slam any time Revenge hasn't lit up, so it'll be up by next CD (w/ very, very rare exception). I haven't had a totally wasted GCD yet.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Mortal Strike is a waste of a GCD. Revenge and Shield Slam will both always hit harder than it.
    Well, I wasn't thinking that it was going to do any kind of damage with a tank weapon. But I don't know what the threat from it's like with TacMastery. I don't imagine it being able to beat out the revenge spam though.

    Is it still no problem having heroic strike up almost all the time?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude View Post
    Well, I wasn't thinking that it was going to do any kind of damage with a tank weapon. But I don't know what the threat from it's like with TacMastery. I don't imagine it being able to beat out the revenge spam though.

    Is it still no problem having heroic strike up almost all the time?
    Heroic Strike w/ this build is part of the package. There's virtually no fight, even w/o Sanctuary, where I can't spam it so long as Revenge is available.


    Revenge = 5 rage.
    Glyph of Revenge = Free Heroic Strike.
    Glyph of Heroic Strike = 10 rage on Heroic Strike crit.

    If you're using Revenge nearly every GCD, then nearly every Heroic Strike is free.

    Rage is just not an issue. However, that can fall apart if Revenge doesn't light up and you burn a Heroic/Shield Slam combo and for whatever reason can't afford the next Revenge. This happened on Noth w/o Sanctuary for me.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    172
    Xav I thought I'd mention something that's an interesting counterpoint to your argument about the main tank and trash.

    Trash doesn't enrage. At least for our guild the problem is DPS on bosses the trash is trivial. If it takes another 20 seconds per trash pack (though the paladin and DK tanks would probably be able to cover it) but it gives you a way to make up for 1500 DPS players on the boss fights it's worth it for me. I'm not in charge and I have no control over the other guys' performance so the best I can do is make my own contribution to the raid as much as it can be.

    I worry about the Sunder armor issue. How much DPS off that 4k number are you losing because you are doing sunders? If it's only like 10% or something it would probably still be worth it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    179
    Having 1500 dps players in the raid is a seperate issue. As Xav already pointed out, most of the time spend in an instance is clearing trash. And the more aoe-capable tanks you have, the faster you clear trash. I love especially pulling whole rooms in Deathknight wing and not having to worry about our melees dying, because we run with up to 3 prot warrs doing a shockwave rotation to stop the bahst'ds from spinning.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    316
    You gained 200-300 dps, compared to someone as prot, on one fight but on majority fights you will do way lower dps than prot, due to no devastate,no sword and board, shockwave or crit block. You will not notice the small dps increase anywhere else , tps is slightly higher with this build when you are facing a melle boss, but not on patchwerk, since he hands out threat freely to the two tanks.

    Imo blizz should tweak our prot tree, so that we can do this small extra dps while retaining shockwave. That would solve all my issues with prot. Something that ignore armor, and some more persistant dps would go a long way.
    Last edited by Krays; 01-22-2009 at 06:06 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    8,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Krays View Post
    You gained 200-300 dps, compared to someone as prot, on one fight but on majority fights you will do way lower dps than prot, due to no devastate,no sword and board, shockwave or crit block. You will not notice the small dps increase anywhere else , tps is slightly higher with this build when you are facing a melle boss, but not on patchwerk, since he hands out threat freely to the two tanks.

    Imo blizz should tweak our prot tree, so that we can do this small extra dps while retaining shockwave. That would solve all my issues with prot. Something that ignore armor, and some more persistant dps would go a long way.
    You gain quite a bit more than 200-300 DPS, and that stays present for the majority of fights. This isn't a gimmick Patchwerk spec, it just happens to put out good numbers on Patchwerk.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,806
    This is an advertisement for dual specs, IMO. Still no eta on them but for things like this.....yeah, perfect.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts