+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite Times to Charge / Intercept?

Favorite Times to Charge / Intercept?

One of my favorite skills in WotLK is Warbringer. My favorite boss fights / trash pulls are the ones in which I can use Charge / Intercept / Intervene to save time, save party members, or save myself.

I started thinking about my favorite fights for our movement skills, and here's the list I came up with.

• MTing Vault of Archavon, I really enjoy charging from midair back to the boss after getting tossed. I feel like a bear tank in BC. It's fun because you have to keep your right mouse button down to ensure you're facing the right way, and you have to make sure to charge before you get tossed too far, so there's a small window of opportunity to pull off the instant charge back. Makes it feel rewarding when you do it.
    • Tanking the two giants before Loken in Halls of Lightning, when they do their thunderstorm I don't tank them with my back to the wall because I enjoy getting tossed and charging back in for extra rage.
    • Also in HoL, when Ionar splits into sparks I like intervening the healer for a quick escape.
    • Elemental trash in Old Kingdom often manages to toss you fairly high in the air, and I enjoy the immediate charge to prevent fall damage / get back in the fight quicker with more rage.
    • 4 Horsemen in Naxx is a blast. After taunting Rivendare on the exchange I like to intervene back to the pack of DPS, usually it only takes me a second or two to finish off the exchange and regroup, meaning no one takes more meteor damage than they should. Also we usually 2 heal it so I need to get back into range of our healers quickly so they don't stress.
    • When 2 horsemen are down and we're basically just bouncing back and forth between the back 2, when it's time to swap targets I intervene a healer standing in the middle, and then charge the other rider. Lets me cross about 60 yards in 2 global cooldowns. I feel like a slippery ninja... in plate.
    • Anytime I'm caught in a nasty whirlwind or blizzard (Skadi or Sapphiron come to mind) I love intervening someone and making a quick escape.
    • Intervene is awesome for moving from bubble to bubble in Maly phase 2.

Months into the game I'm still discovering new times to use charge / intervene, and it really keeps the game fun for me. I hear rumors that Ulduar involves more movement than other content we've seen thus far, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Good movement is tied to good awareness / reaction time and I feel like its one piece that separates the good tanks from the great. I'm still workin' on it :P

What are your favorites?
    Last edited by Skyborn; 03-03-2009 at 01:41 PM.

I almost forgot, when I was grinding the hodir dailies for the Blowing Hodir's Horn quest I'd dismount way above the giants, fall for a while, then charge in on the nearest mob. It was pretty dumb, and I definitely miscalculated and died a couple times, but it was fun to fall hundreds of yards and take no damage. Death from above.

Yeah, there's nothing worse than doing a charge bomb to save time, and missing. You'll line yourself up, get ready to hammer that button, jump down... and then the mob moves away.

My personal favorite use of Intercept has always been to stun mobs that people pull away from the tank. Gives the tank a couple second to pick them back up without the trigger happy mage dying.

I like a lot to charge people from above whey they are attacking Gold Mine in Arathi Basin, i simply jump off the cliff and get them by surprise

Oh man, I was doing an AB once and this hordie priest comes rolling up to the LM and tried to MC gank me. I stopped him (gg heroic throw? don't remember...), so he pops a levitate and runs off the cliff.

I chase after him, but he's got a good 20 yard headstart. He's already pretty far down when I hit the cliff edge, but I just keep going, jump off, and nail him with a charge while he's in mid-air. It was probably the coolest thing I've ever done; at this point there were couple other alliance people by the edge, and being able to just jump off a giant cliff in pursuit of a fleeing hordie in front of all of them made me feel like batman. "Oh noes, he got away! Ratso." "Not if I can help it... FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!! *down I go* " Honestly, I think that scenario is a perfect example of that the warrior class is: Simple, direct, unstoppable, inescapable.

Unfortunately the charge bugged and didn't get me in melee range, and he had one of those insta cast brooms which he popped in mid air and used to escape. But still, it was one of my favorite WoW moments.
    Last edited by shiz98; 03-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.

Hey Sky, :P.

I like charging mobs the way you said; death from above ftw.

My favorite time to charge/intercept is during a knockback or AoE, when I'd Intervene the healer / Charge the boss. Fun!

=.=

To be honest, I haven't really used Intervene at all in WotLK. I'm still used to its main roll being simply to move me around, which charge does better (rage FTW).

What are peoples' feelings on using Intervene as a threat dropper for high DPS? In a 5-man? In a raid setting?

I frequently will use intervene/charge back in on trash on 5-mans and raid trash. It is more of a gimmick but your DPS look at you like you're a madman.

Intervene + Healbot = Win
    (5/13/53) - Awesome pre-raid AOE tank spec for instances

I like to charge all the horde players

I have also done the "Intervene + Charge" bit in the back of the 4H room. You can cross the room in 3 seconds, it's great.

I'm wary of charging during 4H for fear of eating a meteor. Better to just run, IMO.

• After Shadron breathes to get ready for Vesperon. (intervene)
    • Intervening Sarth's first breath for a full rage bar.
    • WSG after my pally healbot fears a ghoul away, and the dk deathgrips me. Last night I got a free charge, just from this 'cause of Death Grip.
    • Anytime a critter is around between pulls.
    • Especially that squirrel by the Dalaran well.
    • Trash mobs that off charge, before they actually hit that dps.
    • Anything while grinding with a revenge stun for that extra rage.
    • After the mage blinks.
    • After the silly boomkin grasps me.
    • Anything up a wall I normally couldn't run.
    Last edited by Spankeld; 03-09-2009 at 08:10 AM.

My best moment would have to be when they added warbringiner and our guild was doing Muru. Phase 1 tanking void sentinels along one wall and a new one would spawn on the opposite wall. I would intervene somebody in the middle and warbringer the sentinel. First time i did it my healer was like GOMG WAIT FOR ME!!!

+ Reply to Thread