+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank comparisons

Tank comparisons

I don't know if this was posted here. Interesting read and take on current tanking situations.

World of Warcraft (en) Forums -> Pre 3.1 Exhaustive tank comparisons.

Hrm, very indepth research. I can't tell if it's biased (doesn't seem to be) and his suggestions seem very sound. I can't back up the math on him though so I can't give any conclusive "wow he was right!" but it's interesting to see how DTPS vs. TTL fluctates so much between the classes except druids.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Parri does some very nice posts so i doubht its biased.

The article is certainly written from a druids view, slanted but not exactly biased toward them.

Interestingly the author starts by saying that you can not just pull pieces of each tank out and compare them.

Unless I was reading the article wrong, he only looked at a tanks ability to survive melee damage. While important, it is only part of tanking.

This does not render the comparison incorrect though, but Cider and others have already pointed out, posted, and gotten blue feedback on druids EH being much better and scaling better on burst damage fights.

Again when he says the warrior DW spec is an aberration, he is again pulling pieces out of the comparison. Even though the warrior would likely have fared worse in his charts, its more a staple than an aberration and should have been accounted for.

As a validation of a druids ability to survive monster melee bosses, this article succeeds. Obviously the author has devoted a lot of time and effort, and the amount of information they have created is massive, but in the end it does not go far enough to be a truly comprehensive view of the tanking classes, but rather a very in depth view of one piece.

Well that's what he's trying to prove, is that druids and DKs both needed some scaling down in order to bring them back into line with warrior/paladins currently on Live. That was his intent.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Kaz - It does prove that point. Maybe its because the post is so large, or maybe they rambled some in the beginning, but they talk about the threat and survivability for example in #2, but then do not take threat into account in the comparison.

It would be a much better article if they removed the allusion to it being a complete tank comparison and specified it as being an EH Tank comparison.

Again, not to take anything away from the bulk of the article, its just the opening remarks are inconsistent with the intent and conclusion of the article; this of course is just my impression and your mileage may vary.

I read this post yesterday, and it was a reasonably interesting read. It does have a "bitter tank" flavour which doesn't help to further the point the poster is making in the flamefest Blizzard forum community, but it looks like a well thought out, and well executed test in DTPS and TTL which shows some interesting data how things are pre-3.1.

I mostly focussed on Paladins and Warriors (mostly because of the incoming changes in 3.1 which will most likely have a big effect on DKs and Druids). I was surprised to see that the difference between Paladins and Warriors in a regular melee evironment was as big as it was. If asked beforehand I would've assumed there wouldn't be a difference or just a tiny one. As it is the gap is that big, but it did suprise me somewhat.

I'm going to monitor the thread, hopefully it'll be updated to including the current PTR build, will be interesting to see how the numbers stack then, including Druids and DKs.

+ Reply to Thread