Thread: off tanking

off tanking

i am a protection pally, with pretty good gear... its getting there, i can tank all of the 5 mans and some of the 10mans no prob but when it comes to off tanking i am completely lost on how to do it... was assigned the task the other day in 25 man vaults and failed horribly wiping the raid. any info on how to off tank would be appreciated. thx

I cant rly say about how Paladins perform in offtanking, in my Alt guild our paladin is MT. If you count naxx there isnt any problem to offtank there, Might be a problem with the none undead/demons. This will prolly be fixed in 3.1 when Exorcism is going to be applyed to everyone. Usualy you just consecrate and go to town on the poor guy.

Maybe could post a link to your armoury to check it out?

Maybe it's about understanding the fight.

You said you failed in Vault being the Offtank. Only thing you have to do is stand in a corner somewhere and taunt him (and tank) after he does his stomp. Your not suppose to build threat and be second on aggro.

Tip: If your going oom and not taking any extra dmg, alert your healers and then use Hand of Sacrifice on the tank You get some mana back for it through Spiritual attunement

if ya want to check my armory The World of Warcraft Armory

What seems to be your problem Piladan?

There is very little you I do differently when off-tanking to where i am taking the hits. Keep Devine plea on cooldown, maybe drop every second consecrate (depending on Mana), maybe judge/seal wisdom (depending on mana).

You will lose some threat but it shouldn’t be much you should still be able to maintain 2nd on omen.

Is there something specific you are struggling with?

Vault is all about timing your taunt correctly.

Your gear dosnt look to bad. Just getting into raiding it looks like.

But your Spec is intresting. From the look of the spec you arnt using a 969 rotations. There might be some reading to do on that, which will help your threat alot.

you are at the start of tanking, gearwise. Its not bad gear but it might be that the ppl you raid with outgear you by alot therefor they pull more TPS then you do. After a taunt in VoA you need to build threat fast. If the previouse generated just enough threat to keep the DPS off the boss its a critical moment for you after the taunt, since if your TPS is low they will catch up to you and e.g pull aggro off the boss.

And one more thing, why didnt you have Sacred duty talant? saying no to 6% more stamina?

wow didnt even notice i was missing sacred duty, thx ill have to change that.

never heard of 969 rotation before, ill have to look into it

There is also a trick in Vault if your tps is low yet the MT's tps is high. Remember after a stomp you are taunting off a dps so you get their threat, not the MT's.

Have bossmod tell you when a stomp is incoming. Taunt like 3 sec before it hits. You get all the threat the MT has. If MT taunts back you'll be second on aggro list. And if he doesn't taunt, then Archavon is gonna grab you up and then going back to the MT A strategy used when there is no OT, just have plate user in PvP gear taunt moments before the stomp.

Jere's guide on Threat rotation - http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/42445-paladin-threat-dps-rotation.html

Also do a search on it over at Elitist Jerk or Maintankadin. It will require a change to your spec but i think that is in order anyway. A couple of points:

- Reckoning is basically only a very minor threat increase, isn’t really worth the points
    - Benediction is basically worthless. It reads well but doesn’t equate to much mana for us
    - You'll need 1 point in Improved Judgments to maintain 969 rotation
    - You missed Sacred Duty as pointed out above.
    Last edited by Irat; 03-08-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spell etc

thx for all of the advice it will help alot