+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rend for tanking?

Rend for tanking?

Evewr since i found out that rend can be used on Defensive stance, i've been thinking that maybe it is something that may be worth looking at for our rotations.

Today i got a Broken Promise (yay!) and looking at it's slow speed i got to thinking about this again... so i went to the dummies, and compared devastate to rend (as devastate is something that you basically use when you have an open GCD)

My rend ticks for 336, meaning a total damage of 1680. By comparison, a 5-stack devastate can crit for about 1500+414 Deep Wounds damage. Rend costs me 7 rage and Devastate 10.

So far Devastate seems to come out on top, but then i started thinking: with a slow weapon, i won't be able to burn through as much rage as with my old Red Sword of Courage, and i was usually constantly at 80+ rage after rotation and HS spam with that, so i could probably drop a couple of points in imp. HS and grab Imp. Rend, which would push it's damage above Devastate.

The last factor to be accounted for is threat. If i read the post in the guides forum right, Devastate has 5% of AP modifier, while Rend has none.

So, i think Rend may be worth a slot in my bars, for fights where damage is more sensitive than aggro (Loatheb comes to mind), and for fights where i OT and thus have less rage, at least until i can grab a Last Laugh, or whatever fast tanking weapon we can get from Ulduar.

I may just be complicating things for myself by adding another button to push, but i feel like there are situations where adding that button can increase my contribution to the raid, something to which i'm always open. Anyone else has any thoughts on the matter? am i talking out the ass here?

Edit: Also, i forgot to say that the idea would be to use Rend after the full sunder stack is applied, and to use devastate on free GCDs while rend is still ticking.
    Last edited by Anglachel; 03-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.

We have a skill called rend?
    My mana is low!!

Wow, Satrina referenced theorycrafting *I* did.....amazing. He must have been really bored and tired.

Your situation is sort of a catch-22. Broken Promise is quite simply given today's current content, a bad tanking weapon. I know this because I have it and wear it around half the time but warrior tanks are so heavily dependant upon heroic strike damage for threat and DPS, anything approaching serious like a raid boss demands using a fast weapon.

Since its a stretch to imagine using Rend on trash mobs where BP can become quasi-useful, you're left with using it on boss mobs only.

This is not to say you can't use BP to tank bosses. Of course you can. My buddy Graff often tanks trivial content wearing a [White Wedding Dress]. Its not the same thing but you get the idea.

I haven't done the math on a slow weapon like Broken Promise but it would certainly more effectively use Rend than a fast weapon would. The biggest issue with Rend is opportunity cost, IE, what you're giving up in order to use it. It consumes a global CD and rage, meaning you'll lose a devestate. Never would you want to put off a revenge or shield slam.

I suppose in the end, its possible that it might be helpful but its not going to amount to a massive amount of newfound threat. Its still an underwhelming skill with limited utility.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

There's actually a more serious problem for a threat specced tank than Horacio mentions above (at least, when i tested it a couple of days ago), and thats that when you have deep wounds on your target, it considers it to be more powerful than rend, hence doesn't allow you to apply rend until deep wounds wears off.

Its a bug of course, but for now it totally scuppers the idea ;-)
    Last edited by DwayneDibley; 03-11-2009 at 08:08 AM.

I randomly use it, threat has never really been an issue anywhere (except maybe malygos, but I don't MT there)

I can afford to 'waste' a gcd from time to time.
    |Kaad|Warrior|Protection|The Milk Drinkers|Runetotem|US|

I use it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaad View Post
    I randomly use it, threat has never really been an issue anywhere (except maybe malygos, but I don't MT there)

I can afford to 'waste' a gcd from time to time.
    Exactly my view on it.

I use it mostly when the target is just about to go out of melee range, or I'm about to have to move... such as just before Malygos' Vortex, or Sapphiron's air phase. Sure, it's not a massive boot, but it's something I can to do to help, so why not?

Medemer
    --
    Because the boss 'lols' at me.

+ Reply to Thread