+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank stat caps? This should be a sticky

Tank stat caps? This should be a sticky

Hello First off Im new to the site and I want to start off by saying its great and will be a regular visitor here. I have always been a prot warrior and always will be. No alts, no need, Prot Warrior is the best class, period
    Ok enough of all that, now for the reason for this post.
    If its out there and I missed it please direct me to it and I apologize, but if its not out there it should be ASAP
    There should be a simple sticky thread with the basic info all prot warriors want to see and need to see.

Hit cap (7%??)
    Expertise cap (8%??)
    Def cap (540)

Dodge 20%?
    Parry ? does parry even matter? does anyone even gem for this or do you just take what your gear gives and call it a day?
    Block ?

Maybe not caps for these but at least list what should be an acceptable amount to strive for before deminoshing returns make it crazy to put more in it.

Keep it simple too no insane formulas or math problems just some simple basic numbers to help guide tanks. It doesnt have to be exact just some nice round numbers we should be trying to get in each of the important skills. I think too many people are trying to make this simple part of the game waaay to complex just post up some simple numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orctank View Post
    Def cap (540)
    You need to learn your terms my young padawan.

Yea, and the prophet Lore looked upon his apprentices and said unto them;

"(540) Defense isn't really a goal or an end that you should reach - it's not a peak - it's a MINIMUM"

Check Vene's site at TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft for the 'How good is defense' posts. Defense gives almost - and I mean almost as much avoidance as dodge does - even after reaching 'crit immunity' at 540 Def Skill.

You need to refer to Crit immunity, not defense Cap. Cap implies that after reaching that 'Cap' you gain no extra benefit from that stat. Which is wrong in this case.
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 03-06-2009 at 04:35 PM.
    "rouges have cheapest computers"

Quote Originally Posted by sorednbored View Post

"(540) Defense isn't really a goal or an end that you should reach - it's not a peak - it's a MINIMUM"

Check Vene's site at TankingTips.com - A guide to tanking as a Warrior in World of Warcraft for the 'How good is defense' posts. Defense gives almost - and I mean almost as much avoidance as dodge does - even after reaching 'crit immunity' at 540 Def Skill.

You need to refer to Crit immunity, not defense Cap. Cap implies that after reaching that 'Cap' you gain no extra benefit from that stat. Which is wrong in this case.
    Good point I did look at the post on Tankingtips.com good read thanks.
    But see this is my point there really should be a main sticky thread or even a solid post on the main page of the site refering to the main tanking stats and what they should be, there are like a hundred posts all with crazy charts and graphs and diff opinions and too much talking over a percentage point or two. Its a game lets keep it simple there has to be someone out there that can just post up some nice clean simple numbers that all tanks can agree on that are good solid base of well balanced tank stats to be able to do well in 25mans with.

There is no dodge "cap" either. This sticky thread talks about avoidance:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...e-ratings.html

This sticky thread talks about hit and expertice as it relates to warriors:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...expertise.html

There are no "easy" numbers. Everything about tanking gear is a balance. It is up to the tank to shift that balance from threat focused gear for easy encounters, to mitigation/EH/avoidance focused gear for fights where tank survival is an issue.

There are no "set in stone" numbers for being able to tank naxx 10, 25, or any other instance. It depends on many factors, like the skill and gear of your healers. For instance, in the first week of the Xpac, I was tanking heroics while still WELL under the defense cap, within 30 minutes of hitting 80. I was one of two tanks at 80 in our guild at the time, with lots of healers and DPS wanting to get started on heroics. Sure I got crit, and a lot, but we made it through. Mostly due to the skill of my healer.

Please refrain from inflammatory statements like "Prot Warrior is the best class, period". Yes, there are A LOT of prot warriors on this forum, but it's not WarriorTankSpot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Orctank View Post
    Keep it simple too no insane formulas or math problems just some simple basic numbers to help guide tanks. It doesnt have to be exact just some nice round numbers we should be trying to get in each of the important skills. I think too many people are trying to make this simple part of the game waaay to complex just post up some simple numbers.
    But I likes the math part of it. I think part of the problem here is that you are trying to simplify tanking theory down so that it's easily accessible to tanks who just started and just want to go tank stuff without learning all the "tough maths". Realistically, the math part of it can be largely ignored. A lot of times, when I'm just digging for information real quick I'll skip most of the math because it's really only there to provide proof that you didn't just make up numbers.

I guess what I'm getting at is that simple numbers work and you can get by with them, but if you're coming to a tanking theory site you should probably expect something more than the numbers that bad pugs will throw at you and tell you it's law. Most players spend at least 10 hours a week inside the game doing their thing. It makes sense that someone spending that much time doing something might sit down for 2-3 hours once in a while and sift through quality literature on how the "pros" do it.

Satrina that is an awesome post! I just got done reading the entire thing. Very helpful. Thank you.

One quick question for you or anyone else who might know the answer.
    On the topic of stacking Def and Dodge you had I link and in that post there was some talk about having a 2:1 ratio Is this ratio of 2:1 for both dodge and parry together? or is that just dodge and def? If its only dodge that would mean that I need A LOT more dodge.
    I currently have 542 Def and a 163 Dodge rating (19.41%) and a 123(17.24%) parry rating
    Also my Block is only 15% anyone see a problem with that?

Also anyone please feel free to view my armory link and please give me any suggestions, you wont hurt my feelings Im always looking for new ways to improve. Thanks

That's dodge and defense only. Don't worry about parry.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

In a similar manner to your rotation, i think there is a stat priority list, with the first obviously being def, 2nd maybe being stam to a point, 3rd being avoidance/expertise depending on. Maybe something to think about.

I think what the original OP was looking for was a collection of all of these separate threads put together in one easy semi-glance-over-able post (is that a word??)
    November 23, 2004 8:27:03 AM - Glomgore 10+ Years of tanking? Priceless

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll write one
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

+ Reply to Thread