+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tanking druid stats+attack rotation

tanking druid stats+attack rotation

What are the stats i need to maintank 25 mans? What should I get to be a decent tank.
    Also do i only use maul, mangle, lacerate and swipe as threat attacks? mangle when it is off cooldown and spam maul and lacerate?
    the armory doesn't work for me but you can check my gear with the following info: eu|runetotem|alliance|anthracia and guild is heritage

The stats will vary a bit but anything over 35k should be just fine if your guild isn't on farm status. Try to get at least 35% dodge unbuffed and the armor will come from just having high item level gear. Your max tps rotation will be Mangle on cool down, get to 5 stacks of lacerate and always have maul on if you have the rage. After you get 5 stacks of lacerate use swipe instead and just keep the 5 stacks going.

also use swipe on single targets?
    i go 30k+ armor now, is that enough?

blackhand already gave you the optimal rotation. Yes, swipe also on single-target if you need to gain more aggro, because of its intrinsic +50% threat modifier.

30k+ armor & HP may be enough depending on your skill and the skill of your healers (and DPS), I think on Emmerald's site people were reporting successful Naxx-25s with around 31k-32k.

Edit: I looked at your armory and apart from the Idol (moonfire??) you should manage it fine. For "pure" tanking the blue staff from Utgarde (Enraged Feral Staff) is better than Trickery.
    Last edited by Helistar; 03-06-2009 at 04:18 AM.

OK yes I'm a nub. I am having trouble with 3+ targets. I usually pull skull with fire, demoralizing roar. Then Mangle, lacerate, lacerate, swipe, switch to X, mangle, lacerate, lacerate, swipe, switch to star, mangle, back to skull where i keep lacerate stacked and maul swipe. My problem is that even though im going as fast as the cooldowns will let me i've lost or just about to lose skull by the time i get back. I am also haveing problems containing 4 spawns in Heroic VH. They go everywhere and it is a mess. I think my gear is good. I know the polar vest is great for MIT but bad for threat but right now its all i have. 5 man buffs put me at 41K HP, 37K armor, and 32% dodge. The World of Warcraft Armory
    I came, I saw, I tanked, I wiped my butt with a Rabbit! Thats how bears do it.

Your basic problem is your single targetting your off targets too much. On your pull you can actually FFF X, skull will come to you. Swipe the group a couple times (using Maul if you have enough rage), that will build aggro on the off targets. Mangle and Lac your main target, spam Swipe. Make sure you have the bars enable to glow to show aggro level. If you start to lose threat on an off target then target them, hit them with a Maul/Mangle and a Lac, then switch back to your main target.

Thanks Baggor. What do you do when you have casters that are spread apart with no DK to death grip, priest to silence or anything like that?

nothing, unless you can use LOS for your advantage and the dps is paying attention to your tanking style.

Casters can be tricky. LOS is usually your best option. CC also works. If you don't have either what I do is run in toward the second kill caster as I FFF the first kill caster, Mangle/Swipe/Lacerate the second kill caster (Swipe if there are melee to pick up too), then feral charge back to the first kill caster. I should have enough threat on the second caster to keep him on me and I should have enough threat on the melee that they'll all follow me to the first caster. From here you just keep an eye on the second caster while you burn down the first; if the second caster goes after the healer before the first is dead taunt them back to you. As soon as you've got enough threat on skull that DPS won't overtake you before it's dead you can head back to the second caster.

One of my biggest problems is that my guild is all gearing alts and everyone is in a new role. They are all used to a pally tank that is wearing valarous gear. I simple dont start with as much aggro as him. Once i get my stacks and get into my rotation my tps really starts to ramp up fast. Thanks for all your help.

On trash, I just swipe mangle and maul. Lacerate isnt worth stacking on each target if your trying to grab 3+ things quick and keep them, I wouldnt waste the GCD on lacerate unless your not running the risk of pulling. Lacerate can be usefull in aoe scenarios... just not for initial threat. With the threat buff's to swipe, lacerate I usually save for bosses and single mobs.

The rotation above on single targets is all you need, swipe on single targets is a great threat booster as well as a good way to get rid of some rage.
    You do realize why the Borg are so bad at making dimmer switches don't you?
    Resistance is futile.

For casters, I second the method suggested by Mammoth. I usually melee the 1st until I see that I've lost aggro on the second, then run to it, stun it and hammer to regain aggro, Taunt works as well, but if possible I try to keep it for when it's really needed (i.e. unplanned loss of aggro....).
    For trash don't forget the second effect of berserk, which makes you hit 3 targets with mangle. Berserk as a bear is almost useless on a boss unless you need to ramp up fast aggro for some reason, or to break fear. For the rest it's better used on trash pack.

+ Reply to Thread