+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Threat Help

DK Threat Help

Ok so Ive done a fair amount of reading around the forums although Ive not red everything lol. At any rate Ive got few questions for the TankSpot community. Ive recently went from DPS to tank on my DK. Ive managed to work together a doable set of gear but to be honest it could use lot of improvement. The first thing I made sure of was that I ws def capped t 540+. Atfter that its just a matter of avoidance and effective health. My main issue however is keeping threat. I was curious what spec(s) is(are) best for keeping solid aggro. While multi-target aggro is a concern I want to focus primarily on single target boss aggro. Gear aside, whats the best spec + rotation for single target aggro for a tank?

any spec really has no problem with threat after the first 5-10 seconds so long as they mash rune strike and tab.

1) Make macros for every single hit of yours to activate Rune Strike. This will help out with your threat alone. Rune Strike is the Warrior's Heroic Strike for DKs and is a good source of TPS.

2) Your basic rotations really are seen here depending on what spec you are. If you're DPSing, chances are you've gotten used to rotations. With DKs, it's a bit different depending on what. You'll always open with a D&D for AoE mobs (Let's face it, everything in this game raiding wise is AoE pulls so you may as well get used to the D&D opening right now.) This will lead for you to have an IT/PS/Pest rotation to get your diseases on everything as well. At this point, you go into a simple rotation depending on what spec you are. Once you're done your second rotation, you should restart with D&D unless you're down with one add which then you just focus in a rotation.

I usually just follow my DPS rotations most of the time and pull out anywhere between 5-6k threat easily.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

I've posted somewhere else the break down of playstyle for the 3 different trees, but I don't remember where. =)

Long and the short: all trees can tank with variable strengths and weaknesses, pick a style and work on developing that. We can offer loads of advice from there depending on what you go with.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Ok so Ive come up with a build that works alright for the most part with balancing threat generation as well as weaving in a good deal of defensive talents. Let me know what you guys think/recommend.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...6&version=9551
    Last edited by Mairo; 03-07-2009 at 10:02 PM.

I have tried out all speccs now, and when it comes to solid threat i experiense that Frost was the best.

My first specc was blood, i struggled like nothing else to get threat gen up, no matter what i did it was crap, might be my rotation or something else. But when i tweaked it and went into frost/unholy/blood specc with the heavy set on frost i went from about 3k tps to a steady 5k tps. Thou unholy is the specc i have played around with the least of the 3 speccs i cant show any numbers how well i do. Was sometime now.

All speccs can produce alot of threat, its just that we need to get the rotation and gear in check for some of em before you get awesome tps, my nemesis atm is blood. Trying to solve the big mystery around how to pack a solid punch into it.

Mairo, from your spec there are a few talent points I'd shift around, I'll explain why:

1.) Unholy Command = this let's you essentially taunt more often. If you actually NEED this consistently, you have a bigger problem. There are case-specific applications, otherwise I can point out some better places to spend your points.

2.) Merciless Combat = this talent is designed as an accelerator for boss enrages and pvp kill zones. For a tank this amounts to a threat boost when targets are at low health, and realistically, trash dies so quickly that it is only a buff on boss threat. As per #1, if you need a hand on threat when a boss is that low, you have bigger problems.

3.) Icy Reach = this is nice, but it is more of a luxury. Strictly speaking it is neither a threat buff nor a survival buff. It may help to pick stuff up in the event they spread, but that is pretty situational. There are more impactful talents I'd want.

There are a couple of very valuable talents I would consider adding:
    1.) Frost Strike = this is a very big one with Frost. It's strong threat, can't be dodged/parried/blocked which means better hit chance and no parry haste threat, and is frost damage which ignores armor. It's also 1 point only. Definitely worth it.

2.) Blood of the North = this serves to smooth out your threat and give you larger options on a bi-phasic rotation. What I mean is, the buff to BS will increase your threat on odd blood runes, and the Death runes on the even sets will let you add another Oblit/HB or whatever you need. That can really add up especially with the talents/glyphs for Oblit.

3.) Chill of the Grave = the bonus RP from this will allow you to use FS more often while keeping up with RS needs, it is also worth additional threat. Since you use IT, HB, and OB constantly, this can be a significant buff.

4.) Bladed Armor = I can't sell this one enough. In tank gear and frost presence (they do multiply) this is worth 500-800 AP!! That will be a MUCH larger effect than Ravenous Dead for 3 points, at the minimum. If you can max it out all the better.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread