+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pvProt Trinket Choices

pvProt Trinket Choices

I current have the following trinkets and am trying to decide which is best for different scenarios:

Medallion of the Horde - Item - World of Warcraft

Anvil of Titans - Item - World of Warcraft

Mirror of Truth - Item - World of Warcraft

Essence of Gossamer - Item - World of Warcraft

Lavanthor's Talisman - Item - World of Warcraft

Obviously for PvP you always want the medallion in one slot. But for the other I'm not sure whether the anvil offers mitigation equivelent to the essence stam and mitigation buff, although the AP is nice. Also not sure how much resil I want as prot so I may be better off with the mirror for crit. Lavanthor's pretty nice when you pop it before a shield slam.

Recommendations? BGs v.s. arenas?

There is alot of posts in this section for gearing tips in both arena and battleground. I personally use my pvp trinket and levanthors talisman for pretty much everything i do. when i do arena and am facing a team that i cant burst down i may decide to switch trinkets to the anvil, but generally this doesnt happen. the stacking effect of the levanthors with shield block and your other damage modifiers up can result in some seriously powerful crits on opponents. It's frequency also allows for it multiple times in some engagements and through arena and will usually result in the best ability for controlled strong prot bursts.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

You should use the Medallion and Lavanthor's Talisman primarily. You could benefit from the bonus resilience from Anvil of the Titans, but a Protection Warrior is typically going to be one of the last classes people target in games beyond the 1800's or so, so the extra Resilience may not help much.

You should work towards getting a Nobles deck assembled so you can get the Strength version of Darkmoon Card: Greatness. It's so full of win for Protection that I don't even know where to start.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I'm actually using medallion and the anvil right now in BGs because the harder I am to kill the more annoying I can be. I've just started arenas so I'll probably go back to Lavanthor's for the nasty SS burst in the arena. I was thinking that the big AP proc from anvil or mirror would make it competitive with lavanthor's, but I can see why it's much better to have burst on demand rather than random.

Yeah. Contrary to what I was expecting prior to 3.0, Shield Slam is still your biggest source of DPS as Protection, and especially your burst. You can't ignore AP entirely (since it increases the sustained damage from Devastate, Shockwave, Concussion Blow, Heroic Strike, and your white damage), but the big Shield Slam crits are how we bring people down.

Now, for BGs, Anvil of the Titans or a Battlemaster trinket is probably going to work well, especially if you're carrying the flag or otherwise doing something to force people to attack you. In arena, though, I'd stick with Lavanthor's Talisman.

Once you get Darkmoon Card: Greatness, though, you'll never use any other trinkets for a long time.

Since I have the advantage of being a human I use Lavanthor's Talisman - Item - World of Warcraft and the old quest reward trinket Medallion of Heroism - Item - World of Warcraft

I have the trinket macrod in with Last Stand/Regeneration for a nice heal when needed

I use Gnomish Lightning Generator - Item - World of Warcraft for surprise burst. It's awesome, nobody expects to take such damage out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    I use Gnomish Lightning Generator - Item - World of Warcraft for surprise burst. It's awesome, nobody expects to take such damage out of nowhere.
    wow how did i miss this? im off to make one as soon as servers come back up

yeh that bad boy can crit for 6k, I've been killed many a time by engineers in arenas now. between rocket boot escapes and this thing, it sucks biiiig balls

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I was always depressed that engineers could use their cooldowns in arenas, but blacksmiths couldn't (back when the armorsmith'd BP was Best in Slot).

yeh that never made sense but i guess now we get our extra gem slots so... =T

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I imagine the GLG will get banned from arenas by season six. It does have the cost of hurting you about as much as you hurt them, but when you combine it with pyro rockets and a normal burst cycle, it's excessive.

That said, I plan on abusing it until it is banned

I use the medallion of the horde and my newly acquired repelling charge (execute? no you won't). Increasing the Ardent defender threshold by 1000 hit points for 30 seconds is also an advantage.

I think I read somewhere (or maybe it was a bad dream) that the Gnomish Lightning Generator is getting nerfed?

+ Reply to Thread