+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 25man prefers Pally tanks?

25man prefers Pally tanks?

I don't know if it is just because of my high mitigation or what. I jumped into a pug 25 man naxx and was tanking. I was chosen out of 3-4 tanks to be the main tank. After inspecting the other tanks I soon realized I was the least geared of all the tanks. I had the lowest HP, althought my mitigation and block rating is pretty good. Don't mind my armory as I logged out in holy set.

I know that Prot pallies are usually pretty good for trash in Naxx just because of the aoe tanking style. My health raid buffed was 32000 without kings(I gave myself sanctuary instead) and the other tanks were 35000-41000(dk, war, and druid). I know that stamina isnt everything, but it does play a big roll in survivability. I tanked all of the military quarter(ok not much needed on 1st boss) second boss I was on the dead side. Then we went to finish up Thaddious(sp?) and I MT'ed him. (didnt down him due to pug dps not watching debuffs and not stacking)

So do you think it is just my tanking style that won them over or are pallys just that easy to tank with? When I tank I push the envelope as many times as possible, I am very attentive to healer mana and I normally chain pull trash as fast as possible(me and the dk tank). When priests are MC'ing adds on the 1st boss I am usually tanking one of the adds and pick up another when MC fades, the priest never even has to worry about him coming back and wacking him.

My unbuffed stats are roughly;
    HP: 26,634 (buffed: 33-34k depending on kings availability)
    Armor: 24,375 (buffed: 25.5-26k)
    Defense: 552
    Dodge: 24% (buffed: 25-26%)
    Parry: 17%
    Block*: 48% (56-58% with block gear on)

* with holy shield active

Maybe whoever setup the PUG was still until the pre 3.0 idea that only pally tanks can hold any degree of AOE threat?

For what its worth, our guild doesn't even have any full time pally tanks at the moment, the ones we did have all went ret. We have 3-4 raiding prot warriors, 1-2 DKs and 1 feral druid.

- Edit, I don't mean to say that pally tanks are bad, at all. They're great really, but not all required for 25 mans, especially naxx.
    Last edited by Danielm7; 03-03-2009 at 09:46 AM.

I think any naxx run is better if a Pally or DK with strong AOE are along. I've done it with a bear/warrior or 2 warriors and its totally doable. mages/locks just love strong aoe threat - makes their lives easier.

Ya I don't think people have adjusted to the AOE threat of other tanks yet. As a paladin my AOE threat is more consistant, but warriors and druids pull off me all the time in naxx when I am tanking adds. (No experience with DKs)

In fact I find it harder to get snap agro on AOE packs than my warrior and druid do. People will learn over time, that AOE is something all can do.

I will say that with me there consecrating, there is less chance one will get loose. Sometimes a mob will move about 2 feet out of swipe range/shockwave etc, and it gets free. This is why we just all team up tanking on AE packs.

It also could be that the raid leader had run with you before and was more comfortable with your abilities as a player, than the other tanks in the raid. OR you just do more threat than they do... Without asking him you never know.
    The only thing better than being able to tank, is realizing that you no longer need to prove that you can.

I know of the raid leader (ran with him when he starting leveling his DK) but he didn't remember me. I guess he just liked my tanking style on trash. FYI I came into the raid some what late. My RL friend was in there as well as some of my guildies and I think they hyped my tanking a bit too... I really do think that I met their expectations though, as we one shotted a lot of the bosses.

well, other than being biased for aoe threat, id say that DK and Druid dps is much higher than war or paly dps, so having them dps for boss fights would make the fights faster overall. and maybe the other tanks were just bad. idk hard to say.

There's nothing special about pally tanks in any of the current content per se. Dont be sad, but it sounds like you were chosen for a reason that has nothing to do with pallies superiority in naxx. Given it was pug, I would draw even less conclusions about their reasons for picking you. All tank teams can tank all content, and the biggest differences in equally geared players come down to skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    well, other than being biased for aoe threat, id say that DK and Druid dps is much higher than war or paly dps, so having them dps for boss fights would make the fights faster overall. and maybe the other tanks were just bad. idk hard to say.
    This is what I was thinking. A Dk and druid can switch gear/presence/form and do respectable dps. Warriors and paladins cannot. If I were to join a Naxx PuG with my Dk, and they wanted to let a lesser geared Paladin tank (so long as he's geared enough for it) so that we'd get more raid-dps overall, I wouldn't object. Much -_^

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    This is what I was thinking. A Dk and druid can switch gear/presence/form and do respectable dps. Warriors and paladins cannot. If I were to join a Naxx PuG with my Dk, and they wanted to let a lesser geared Paladin tank (so long as he's geared enough for it) so that we'd get more raid-dps overall, I wouldn't object. Much -_^
    The funny part is, just when this mentality is about to finally sink into people's heads, it's going to be thrown out the window again when every Warrior tank can drop into Titan's Grip fury for DPS at the drop of a hat.

The key to current Tank management is to pick the right tank for the right job. Honestly, compared to DKs and Paladins Bears and Warriors aren't as well suited to AoE tanking, even though they have a decent arsenal these days.

I've only really PuGed Naxx 25 (my guild is intentionally small) but in every run the tanks decided among each other who was doing what, where, which worked perfectly. We just switched around the MT role as needed, which was fun and beneficial to the raid. Sticking to pre-WotLK thoughts on dedicated MTs and such is a little bit old these days. On trash we just have the tanks fight each other for aggro, with the DKs and Paladins usually winning on multiple targets, and me winning on single targets usually.

+ Reply to Thread