+ Reply to Thread

Thread: +225 Armor vs. +16 Defense Rating

+225 Armor vs. +16 Defense Rating

Hi there,
    I'm reading these Forums for a while now, but today I decided to register here.
    My reason is the following question:

I always acted on the assumption that Titanweave (+16 Defense Rating) is the High-End-Enchant for my back-slot. (Cloak of the Shadowed Sun in my case). At present there is no compareable Enchant, neither +22 Agility nor Resistance, nor the good ol' Dodgerating.

But for a few days I mistrust my adjudgement. I saw more and more (skilled) tank-warriors with the +225 Armor enchant on their cloaks. An enchant I didnt even notice seriously as a viable alternative. (even with ATTT-talent it just grants additional 3,75 ap, the damage-mitigation isnt worth mentioning at all)

Now my Question: may there be any reason, why anyone should enchant its cloak with such crap? Or am I thinking totally wrong and nothing outclasses armor? Or did I miss something? Some synergy effect or so...
    Well, I hope you can help me.

Best regards
    Trondhjem
    Last edited by Trondhjem; 03-02-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: no english skills ;)

it's a toss up, defense increases avoidance, 225 armor increases EH. it's up to you what you want for your enchant. but don't disregard 225 armor just because it's small, any armor increases your Time to Live.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

currently I am at the belief that 22 agility is the best cloak enchant, was testing cloak enchants on chardev, and agility increases dodge, and dps, as well as armour.

I switched over to it recently from 16 defense, as I think personally that enchant is very weak.

Calling it crap is pretty short sighted. If you even look at a spreadsheet, you might find that 225 armor is about three times better than 16 defense rating for pure survival. Of course, spreadsheets are subjective.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    any armor increases your Time to Live.
    No doubt.

But the point is, whether other enchants do so, more effectively...

@Rak: Which spreadsheet do you suggest for me? I dont know any good one for tanks...

@Inshius: So you even think 22agi > 225 armor > 16 defenserating? have you got some mathcraft - or a spreadsheet as well - for some proof? I cant really believe this but I see... Back-Enchants are full of surprises

Thanks to you 3 for your answers
    Last edited by Trondhjem; 03-02-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: no english skills ;)

Personally, I'm keeping my chest, back, and shield enchanted with defense. I'm very very close to having enough defense (without gemming for defense at all) to swap out my repelling charge and stay above the defense minimum, letting me equip essence of gossamer along with my monarch crab. I just need a valorous upgrade or two and I'll be looking at an additional 111 stam, yummy.

well yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm far away from falling below the defense cap, so the +16 are no real need at all...

the reason why you see so many tanks with 225 armor and not 16 def rating is simply because 225 armor destroys 22 agi, and that they are already far above the def minimum with their Repelling Charges.

the best use for def enchants on the back and chest are for helping to reach the 540 minimum, and the only tanks who actually need to do this are those who have done their homework, tossed the repelling charge aside for Monarch Crab from jewelcrafting, which is the best profession for maintanks until boss-drop stam trinkets come out in 3.1.

no math, just using agi, because of the increase in crit, dodge, and armour, not major upgrades but an upgrade to each, instead of just defensive stats ie 16 def, and 225 armour is just an upgrade in armour, this way i am balancing out all stats not just a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    Calling it crap is pretty short sighted. If you even look at a spreadsheet, you might find that 225 armor is about three times better than 16 defense rating for pure survival. Of course, spreadsheets are subjective.
    If you could link this tank spreadsheet it would be much appreciated, and Rak have you heard about this new Glyph of Shieldwall, didn't think you had.

How about the 275hp to chest enchant over 22 defence rating, is the 275hp better than ~4.5 defence rating and the avoidance it provides? Assuming you would still be over 540.
    <Rak> shouldnt you be sleeping
    <Rak> its early afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by gregmatic View Post
    is simply because 225 armor destroys 22 agi
    What exactly do you mean? Is it better than 22agi? and if so, why claims Inshius the opposite?

Anyways, I now abolish the idea of enchanting any defenserating to any slot. But now the "22Agi vs 225 Armor - issue" keeps myself busy...

Thanks for the valuable answers

The easiest to use 'spreadsheet' is probably the one all over EJ since it covers pretty much every class and role: Rawr. Some of it's weightings seem iffy, as with most spreadsheets, but generally it's great for figuring out different set combos.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

+ Reply to Thread