+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naxx 10 man KT ice blocks

Naxx 10 man KT ice blocks

Just a quick question i could do with some clarification for...

On KT phase 2, when he ice blocks the random player- does it really only hit for 104% of their total hps because it feels SO much more?

Most of our dps have around 20k health which means that if they recieve just 1k heal they should survive the hit but that is so not happening! All 3 healers are having to concentrate on it and i cast 2x nourish because 1 doesnt seem to be enough, even with another heal landing from someone else.. If a healer gets hit its a very tense 4 seconds.

Our only wipes on this boss are down to healers not keeping the ice blockees up.

ATM our raid leader thinks we healers are half asleep- (which i guess might be the case) and it is our reaction time at fault...

I know if I get one flash heal off on someone it usually saves them - guaranteed if I crit.

Reaction time is a major factor, I hate to say.
    Railzz - Medivh - 80 Dwarven Disc Priest
    http://www.cessation-guild.net

thanks!

in which case i guess it probably is a little to do with lag and not seeing it land instantly....i could probably just make 1 cast then and breath a little more often!

As a disc priest I'm using a penance on the Ice blocked targets and then after I top them off. Also a holy shock as a pala works fine too. We even had a mage bandaging at one point, just as long as they are on full health before the Ice block occurs, all should be fine.

then it is definately a sleepy time thing in combination with lag at a guess- the guild is very widely spread over uk, northern europe and the middle east- that has to have some impact!

Reaction time is actually key, because the debuff actually appears on the target one second before it actually affects them. If you're able to see this in time, you could even manage to throw a big heal their way. Well, that and having a lot of haste can usually help when it comes to getting that big heal off in time

As a priest, I find that keeping the raid topped off is crucial, but as long as they are, a single Prayer of Mending is enough to keep a person alive....granted they're around 1% afterward. As soon as I cast PoM, I immediately cast a flash heal to try and make sure they don't die from one of his AoE frostbolts, then hit them with a greater heal to get them back up to full.

my guild is fairly druid heavy and on our first KT kill, we had 2 druid healers, we had everyone in group 1 on the general left side of the room and group 2 on the right. The 2 druids kept a rejuv on everybody at all times, and that was enough keep them alive. if you have it spec'd or glyphed or whatever, and it lasts the lengthened duration, it's not hard at all to keep up and still manage your mana (even with detonate mana).

if it continues to be an issue, try having all your dps/healers remove any stam buffs they have, since the damage is percentage based.

Sometimes i use a holy shock in someone blocked and they skill die. Not sure if the issue was that they were not in full heath before getting hit or it's hitting more than 104%. Not that I'm used to letting people die, but in 25man i try to heal two melees at the same time, holy shot one and holy light another, and sometimes the holyshocked one still dies (5k + 2k heals). Maybe an unluky frostvoley at the same time, don't know.
    Raiss ~ Holy Paladin @ Gurubashi Horde.
    Chosen Man.

I believe a holy shock is cutting it for me, but i'm not much for experimenting on what might kill a player, so i throw in a flash of light, which is also instant a good amount of the time.

As for healing two blocks, you're just gunna either have to stay the required 10 yards, or hope you're the first block i click. My first time out i was jumpy and got one flash on each of them, and they both died :/

For me a 4k LHW is enough to save people. The major problem is if the iceblock happens right after or before AoE damage. How geared are your healers? we don't have any significant problems with 2 healers on a regular basis, Druid/Shaman combo.
    Last edited by hvidgaard; 03-03-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Healers are geared well above Naxx 10 level. I'm already keeping the whole raid at 100% health to make it easier. I think from what you're all saying is that what i'm seeing is delay, i think if i looked at the stats i'd find big over heals. I like the theory of taking stam buffs off- would make the heal a bigger proportion then and the aoe bolts are no biggy to deal with.

lag and reaction time could account for up to 2sec delay, which is alot considering the damage ticks in 5sec. My best advise is to have 2 healers in range of everybody and be on the ball as soon as you get an emote from your bossmod. If you react fast enough a bigger heal might be prefered.

As a Holy (sometimes Disc) Priest, I've found it has to do a great deal with reaction times and topping off the raid after the AoE frostbolts. Also, sometimes just 1 CoH is enough to keep them alive, so I always keep that and Guardian Spirit off CD and as Disc keep Penance off CD as well. I only really use Guardian Spirit on that fight if we are really melee heavy, or if a melee screws up positioning and ends up ice blocking the tank as well >.<. All in all, your healers *might* need to work on their reaction times and just be prepared and aware of all incoming raid damage. Hope that helped :). Oh, and we usually position the two healers on each side of the green inner circle, so they are always within range of each other and the ranged just spread out around us.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't KT also randomly AOE frostbolt the raid? And can't this coincide with someone getting ice-blocked which means you have to make sure you throw more than 1 heal their way?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyborn View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't KT also randomly AOE frostbolt the raid? And can't this coincide with someone getting ice-blocked which means you have to make sure you throw more than 1 heal their way?
    Yes he does AoE frostbolt the raid. Although, I'm not totally certain on this, I've usually timed it out to be a little after every 2nd or 3rd AoE frostbolt he does an ice-block. So I just time it based off of that even though it isn't completely accurate it can help me time when to get ready for that ice-block. I've never seen an ice-block immediately after an AoE frostbolt, however you still want to top the raid off right after the frostbolt lands. From my experience, the time between that of the frostbolt damage and that of ice-block is plenty of time to top off the raid, so you shouldn't have any problem with a person taking frostbolt and then ice-block damage. If they do, it simply means they weren't topped off in time, or Kel can ice-block right after the frostbolt.

I've never payed much attention to the actual damage taken in a ice block on KT, but I've been using a 2.5 (upfront) riptide with a 4k+ LHW and that's been more than enough to keep anybody but the OT (in phase 3) up during a ice block unless we chain 'em and that's what the NS Chain Heal macro is for. 104% is the quoted number, I don't know if anybody has intentionally died from it to check the total damage done (it'd be interesting to know, but you've gotta get the rest of your raid behind the idea). I'll try to post something after our run this week if anybody dies to ice blocks on KT.

PS - if anybody already has checked this, and can give numbers outta the combat log to confirm/deny, I'll take your word for it ^_^

it hits for 26% of your max hp every second for 4 seconds. Only problem with looking trough a combatlog/wws is you don't know how much HP they had during the encounter

1) One small heal is only enough if they're topped off
    2) Remember that fury warriors take 10% more damage in berserker stance, which I'm not sure if it's affected by this

all worked out beautifully this reset- i think we'd had too many laggy people! definately helped doing it eaelier in the evening too, wasnt quite so sleepy

+ Reply to Thread