+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chest/Shield Enchants

Chest/Shield Enchants

I was using +22def to chest and +20 def to shield previously and gearing such that I sat right around 540 def - last night I got the Repelling charge from Thaddius and it changed my entire gear outlook, now I have 84 extra defence so I subbed in some of the newer gear I had got but was unable to wear due to not enough def. I didn't Gem for def so nothing needed to be changed there and head/shoulders are kinda set in stone so I began to look at changing my chest/shield enchants. I am sad to say that it seems like even now I am over the def cap these 2 might be the best 2 enchants - I ended up throwing Titanium Plating (+40 BV) on my shield but I am unsure if that is any better than 20 def... I am pretty sure that 22def > 200hp.

Thoughts? am I wrong? is there some other enchant out there that I may be unaware of?

I like the Titanium Plating enchant to Shield personally. As soon as it makes sense for me to slap on on there I'm doing it. If you have plenty of defense, what's your avoidance like? If it's on the low side (less than ~55%) maybe more defense isn't going to hurt. Otherwise I'd be inclined to stack strength and expertise personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Are there Str and/or expertise enchants for chest/shield?

Other than my meta gem (stam/+5%armour) I only use 3 gems:
    Blue/Prismatic - 24 stam
    Red - Stam/Expertise
    Yellow - Stam/Hit

I always go for the socket bonuses. I think I have 15 Expertise and 173 hit. HP is 29,991 (iirc).

Here is my armory:

The World of Warcraft Armory

My point is for these 2 slots (Chest/Shield) what enchant is better than Defence?

IMO, for a "boss set", nothing is going to be better than defense to shield and chest.

Titanium plating to shield has it's place on a block value set. +18 stam is inferior to +20 defense in almost every way.

Super stats, or health, to chest isn't any better than 22 defense.

There are no expertice or strength enchants for shield or chest. Those are the only options i can think of.

Ok, even with the BV enchant to shield I am rocking 550def, with the +20 def to shield I think its about 555 or so, seems like overkill.

you guys need to get out of the flawed concept of '540 defense limit' and align towards '540 defense minimum'. there is no such thing as defense overkill, unless you have options to convert any defense over 540 into reasonable amounts of a reasonable alternative stat. looking at current gems you can see that the fairest conversion rate is 16def rating to 24 stam.

since you are not JC, and current boss drops only provide essence of gossamer, you simply have to accept having huge def, or just convert the chest chant to 275hp. this is an inferior conversion stat-cost wise, but as i said, you arent JC, so you have no option to convert away def rating anyway.

switch cloak to 225 armor. chest to 275hp.

but switching out 20def rating on shield for 40bv was a huge mistake on your part..
    Last edited by gregmatic; 03-03-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Huh, really? I felt the BV was the best deal of the 3 enchants! Maybe because I seem to be having some issues keeping threat ahead of some of the more geared members of the raid?

Well I guess the point of the post was that I was feeling like the def enchants are superior to 40bv/275health/225armour and although I had *expected* to switch them out as soon as I didn't need them to hit the 540 defense "minimum" I am finding now that there doesnt seem to be a better option.

+ Reply to Thread