+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Utter lack of BV on shoulder/rings

Utter lack of BV on shoulder/rings

Man, there is a total lack of block value on rings or shoulders in WOTLK.

I think there is one shoulder item (level 71) and one ring (blue ring - Heroic Utgarde keep) and that is it.

It's harshing my mellow.
    Carpal tunnel is a small price to pay to get hit in the face

Block value is a retarded itemisation. I'd happily trade BV for strength on every item. Besides which, block value jewellry makes half the tanking classes sad panda, and block value plate makes one quarter so.
    Last edited by Satrina; 03-01-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

There is a grand total of 15 shoulders and rings with block value on them in game. (Counting hyjal ring as 1 item) It's normal for there to not be an item with BV for every slot at a games release.
    King of Cheese, Pope of Lemons, Warlord of Pancakes, Sultan of Omelletes, Czar of Zuchini, Kaiser of Pretzels, Archduke of Apples, Duke of Pimento-loaf, Prime-Minister of Meats, Count of Tomato, The Regent of Danish, Chieftan of Chutney, and Lord of the Dance.

We play a game where standing behind a huge wall of metal makes you more squishy than a bear..or a guy wieliding a christmas tree from hell.... this game has a total lack of some other things too :P

The opening thread remark wasn't if you liked or disliked block value. Don't like BV ? Well good for you, i'm happy for you. I personally like my toys. Either way, there is a lack of it on shoulders/rings which wasn't the case in BC.

there was a complete lack of BV in almost every slot until ZA got released towards the end of BC ... so wait till uldar, you might get what you want.

Sunwell too if i recall.

If ulduar gear gets block value rings, then people are going to wear their naxx25 rings till tier9.

Quote Originally Posted by gacktt View Post
    If ulduar gear gets block value rings, then people are going to wear their naxx25 rings till tier9.
    there is plenty of reasons to wear a SBV ring, and i would be willing to bet that there will be atleast 3 tanking rings in uldar, so if 1 was SBV it wouldn't be terrible, wearing old gear if its itemized better for the encounter makes it better gear. theres some gear from naxx 10 that is better than naxx 25 loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    there is plenty of reasons to wear a SBV ring, and i would be willing to bet that there will be atleast 3 tanking rings in uldar, so if 1 was SBV it wouldn't be terrible, wearing old gear if its itemized better for the encounter makes it better gear. theres some gear from naxx 10 that is better than naxx 25 loot.

Other than repelling charge for non-JC's, I don't see any tanking item from naxx10 better than 25.

thanes tainted great helm is the best avoidance helm in the game, skull of ruin is the best off tanking/dps shield in the game. the SBV pants are the best in the game, same with the belt from instructor. theres a lot of good loot in 10 man naxx, its all situational though.

even if it is not best in slot for what you're doing, you may not always get every drop. i know a lot of people who did sarth +3 with a blue or 2 left becuase they wouldn't get their drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    thanes tainted great helm is the best avoidance helm in the game, skull of ruin is the best off tanking/dps shield in the game. the SBV pants are the best in the game, same with the belt from instructor. theres a lot of good loot in 10 man naxx, its all situational though.

even if it is not best in slot for what you're doing, you may not always get every drop. i know a lot of people who did sarth +3 with a blue or 2 left becuase they wouldn't get their drops.

Thane's helm has a very tiny bit more avoidance(40/40/40 vs 58/56) but the BiS vital protection has more health, armor and a lot expertise.

My barricade of eternity is better for OTing due to expertise vs a few block value.

Sovereignty legguards are the BiS, far better than the 10man blocking, also a lot of expertise.

Naxx10 has good ZG blocking loot, but I'd never really wear it on any 80 raid, the stat point advantage and better itemization is just too big of a gap.

there is times where a tiny bit of avoidance will out weigh some expertise, you don't know whats to come in uldar.

but i said dps as well if you're ever in a situation where you're dpsing you only need 26 expertise when attacking from behind, and with a 40 sbv enchant the skull of ruin would be massively better for that.

and if you think there is such thing as best in slot you need to go dps, all gear is situational for tanks. on trash SBV = tons of mitiagion and threat, where the expertise and hit cap on trash is very small, so you can drop most of those stats.

sovereignty legs are hardly comparable to the SBV legs as they have completely different uses. one is mostly for trash or heroics, the other for bosses.

i never said these items should be worn at all times, but they have their uses and can replace 25 man loot in some situations.

But Dreg's point is that if you are a lucky tank that has gotten a decent amount of varied tank gear, then you are probably smart enough to have 2-3 sets going for different purposes, one of which is a trash/heroic BV set (which I am working on). Sure none of those items will be best in slot for say, Avoidance or EH, but with so much tanking gear out there, why not create varied sets? Speaking of which, here's a gear list with a great break down of best-in-slot for different niches.
    Told you so.

I still use the Twins shoulders for my retardedly high (2.4k~) BV set!

Quote Originally Posted by Consecrate View Post
    I still use the Twins shoulders for my retardedly high (2.4k~) BV set!
    Omg! I thought i had a decent BV at around 1800 passive BV. Can you please link your BV gear so I can see where the upgrades are?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Block value is a retarded itemisation. I'd happily trade BV for strength on every item. Besides which, block value jewellry makes half the tanking classes sad panda, and block value plate makes one quarter so.
    Now this bothers me, not the sentiment but the fact that it's basically true.

I thought they were changing block in such a way that warriors wouldn't sigh when they saw something with block on it? I remember the first few weeks of LK where if you built up a high enough block set you could steamroll heroics and stuff even if you were otherwise undergeared. But now... we're back to scorning block gear.

Maybe they overestimated how good blocking was going to be. Maybe they need to tune it so that you would get more sbv compared to str on otherwise equivalent pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Maybe they overestimated how good blocking was going to be. Maybe they need to tune it so that you would get more sbv compared to str on otherwise equivalent pieces.
    Maybe we/you fail to see the situational advantage of block rating and block value. Maybe we/you need to re-evaluate the notion of "best" pieces and note that not all that is WotLK, or raiding, is bosses that hit for a crapton of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Naifon View Post
    Omg! I thought i had a decent BV at around 1800 passive BV. Can you please link your BV gear so I can see where the upgrades are?

Cheers!
    chardev.org v6 ~ a World of Warcraft character planner

Some of the buffs don't apply properly, namely totems. Regardless, it goes up to 2.5k with the right raid buffs and even higher with a trinket + libram up.

It's probably a useless set really, but it stops me from bashing my head into a wall, considering how boring this expansion is.

I could swap some stuff around and use the m'uru ring too, but I don't have it so I can't, QQ!

+ Reply to Thread