+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing avoidance V. Mitigation

Gearing avoidance V. Mitigation

As a raid tanking warrior, should we be looking to gear for more dodge/ parry over block? The avoidance stats will certainly negate damage completely, but block isn't affected by diminishing returns. So of course we shouldn't forget about our block chance, but with all the different gear there is, even in current content, how is it that we should prioritize gear? The threat stats aside (expertise/ hit rating) and assuming strength, stamina, and armor is equal, should we favor gear based on dodge, parry, or block? What ends up being more valuable? Or should we work towards a close balance between the three?
    Blarkap <Lone Wolves> Cairne (US)

If we are talking trash or fast low damage hits, block is great. If we are talking slow large hits, block isn't worth much, better invest into stamina, armor and real avoidance. I don't think balancing is the way to go, since there are too many stats and rarely they all meet together on one piece of gear, and we shouldn't forget t/dps stats like hit and expertise too.

Also, quite a few of sbr/sbv items seem to be underbudgeted :/

I'm a tanking paladin, however the mechanics are the same. I personally favour Block, because of the holy shield ability. howeve my dodge is still around 25% and my parry 20%.

Usually - As Hengist stated - block is great for trash mobs and really sucky bosses like loatheb, who hit for crap anyway. (if you block his attack you only take around 100 damage even on HC)

However i also agree that balance isn't the way to go. if all of your avoidance stats are 20% + you are pretty much good to go. Create balance till you reach that 20% on all, then focus on whichever you need depending on encounter:

For example, on Patchwerk block is practically useless, wheras dodge is golden.
    Usually, you should just reach that 20% with all, then switch trinkets for each situation.
    Lavanthors Talisman and Valour Medal of The First War are what i switch, and that seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
    If we are talking trash or fast low damage hits, block is great. If we are talking slow large hits, block isn't worth much, better invest into stamina, armor and real avoidance. I don't think balancing is the way to go, since there are too many stats and rarely they all meet together on one piece of gear, and we shouldn't forget t/dps stats like hit and expertise too.

Also, quite a few of sbr/sbv items seem to be underbudgeted :/
    I don't give Block% much thought for anything, as a warrior. I think I run with about 15%. What you point out about trash is true, but it's trash, so who cares? I gear for threat and damage on trash, plus a decent amount of stamina in case I bite off more than I can chew and get too many on me at once, to give the healers a little more reaction time.

If you gear for too much avoidance/block on trash, your healers will get bored. Or more likely, you will gimp your threat, and a mage will pull something off of you and get smoked.

If we come across a boss that attacks really really fast, and is also deadly (like maybe Prince in Kara before we outgeared him), I might reconsider building a set with more block%. But I still think in those situations, stamina, armor, and avoidance are more important.

Trash doesn't matter, so don't worry too much about gearing for it. It's those big bossfights that put your gear to test, most often it means it means EH heavy set with decent avoidance for progression encounters. Current gear is pretty heavy on avoidance anyways, so I went ahead with stamina stacking to be ready for Ulduar.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

+ Reply to Thread