+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Strike Macros(in general)

Heroic Strike Macros(in general)

I'm currently using heroic strike macro'd to revenge and devastate and I've found it greatly improved my threat and cut down on my swing attempts. I've also tried hotkeying it to different locations and it always seemed ungainly. My 2 key is currently the revenge/heroic strike macro and for spamming heroic strike I tend to mash it. Forgive the ignorance, but what is the advantage to spamming heroic strike over spamming a macro with heroic strike? Any ability off the GC will just queue up whenever a macro containing it is clicked, correct?

I have fights where I get like 110 heroic strikes and 8 swings or whatever so I'm really curious as to why people say macroing is so terrible.

Folks say its terrible because HS should only be used when rage is high (over 50 usually) by macroing it in you are probably not getting as many SHield slams as you could be.

Using it in near infinite rage situations like patchwerk is obviously pretty safe.

One option is to have a #1 bar with the macros for high rage and then another very similar bar you can substitute with non macro'd abilities for low rage. Shift + bar number can switch them pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
    I'm currently using heroic strike macro'd to revenge and devastate and I've found it greatly improved my threat and cut down on my swing attempts. I've also tried hotkeying it to different locations and it always seemed ungainly. My 2 key is currently the revenge/heroic strike macro and for spamming heroic strike I tend to mash it. Forgive the ignorance, but what is the advantage to spamming heroic strike over spamming a macro with heroic strike? Any ability off the GC will just queue up whenever a macro containing it is clicked, correct?

I have fights where I get like 110 heroic strikes and 8 swings or whatever so I'm really curious as to why people say macroing is so terrible.
    Just today I was assigned to tank Sartharions annoying drake buddies. Tenebron lands, I go in Heroic Strike spamming as usual. Didn't look at my rage bar for a second (Flame Wall, Void Zones... meh), doged/parried a lot, still spamming Heroic Strike, ... oops... rage starved. Not a good situation with all the dps going crazy.
    That's why macroing Heroic Strike is bad. Because sometimes you don't want to use it.
    I use the mousewheel for HS/Cleave. It's not perfect and most of the time you have to scroll during the whole fight, but for me it's more comfortable than spamming a button and I still can decide not to use it, when my rage is low.
    Last edited by Khayra; 03-01-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Supreme Gnomish Tanking since 2007.

Yeah, I just figured out mousewheel binding myself a while ago, and I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. It's really the way to go. Don't forget you can bind mousewheel click as well.
    FuryMonitor - HUD for Fury Warriors

What do you use for zoom in/out if mousewheel is bound to HS?

I have the follwoing keybinds:

1 - charge
    2 - HS
    3 - Dev
    4 - Rev
    5 - SS

I am thinking of turning 2 into a macro that switches my bar to the following

1- charge
    2 - macro switching bar back to standard
    3 - HS + Dev
    4 - HS + Rev
    5 - HS + SS

Seems good right? doesn't give an option for a single HS, but with HS it seems either you are doing it or you aren't.

Maybe I'll do both that idea and the mousewheel, and maybe I can bind zoom in/out to ctrl mousewheel or something.

shift + mousewheel for zooming?

1 - taunt
    2 - shield slam
    3 - revenge
    4 - devastate
    5 - shield block

mwheel up - Heroic Strike
    mwheel down - Cleave.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

1-taunt
    2-Shield Slam
    3-Revenge
    4-HS
    E-Devastate
    Ctrl-E-Block
    mousebutton5-cleave

But im thinking about puting HS and cleave on my mousewheel, ill try that

I've always like R for Heroic Strike, it's not like you every reply to whispers during an important boss fight anyway.

I use the Nostromo N52 so I have the top 5 keys be 1-5 and the 2nd row of 5 keys be 6-10. that way I have easy access to 10 abilities without moving my hand. I think have the 2 side buttons on my mouse be ctrl and shift so thats total of 30 bindings with modifiers (I typically only use 15-20). I have fwd/backwards/strafe left/strafe right bound to the thumb stick, and push to talk to the thumb button. Nothing bound to the scroll wheel on the nostromo yet and I dont have much bound to the bottom row of 4, I think I currently have show/hide nameplates and my baudmark hotkey on 2 of them.

I use the following key binds:

` - Shield Wall (Panic Button)
    1 - Charge
    2 - Heroic Strike
    3 - Shield Slam
    4 - Devastate
    5 - Cleave
    Q - Taunt
    E - Revenge
    R - Shield Bash
    F - Concussion Blow
    C - Thunder Clap
    V - Shockwave

Keeping Heroic Strike on 2 makes it easy for me to mash it in high rage situations while still hitting any other button that I have bound, and keeping my hand a fraction of a second from movement keys (standard WSAD) should I need them. I don't macro it in to the other abilities since there are plenty of times when it's not optimal to heroic strike each and every time - primarily when you're low on rage.

The Revenge bind is actually a cast sequence that for 4 seconds allows me to just spam the button twice quickly to use my free heroic strike if I so wish. Four seconds because Revenge has a five second cooldown.

The Shield Wall bind is actually a cast sequence that goes through my panic buttons in order of what I prioritize as best to worse - which can also change depending on the situation. I have them seperate and accessable on another bar, but if I'm in an, "Oh crap!" moment I can spam the heck out of that key real quick to maximize my survival. (i.e. Shield Wall, then Last Stand, then Enraged Regeneration, then trinkets)

Situationally I switch out a macro for Charge that: Casts Charge, Casts Heroic Throw, Casts Bloodrage. It depends on the fight, though.

Though I rely mostly on my key binds, I so also use some few abilities as 'clickers' -- usually very non-standard stuff that isn't used on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post

1 - taunt
    2 - shield slam
    3 - revenge
    4 - devastate
    5 - shield block

mwheel down - Cleave.
    I tried this out Kaze and I just couldnt get it working like I could hitting a single key. I even tried binding both Wheel Up & Down for HS and still couldnt keep the up time as high as from mashing a single key...
    You have any special technique for keeping a large uptime? maybe i need a different mouse

i just mouse scroll constantly when I have the rage, when it's low i just scroll up really quick. On my Patchwerk parses I only have 3-5 white hits so it's not really affecting me. Remember that just because HS looks like it toggles doesn't mean it actually does, pressing it more than once still fires it off, so just scroll the mouse wheel quickly.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I use something like the following that lets me control HS's when I want them and not have to hit additional buttons (yes I'm a clicker)

/cast [button:2] Heroic Strike
    /cast Devestate/Sheild Slam/Revenge

Macros is bad. They can make you rage-starve.

I have HS on mouse wheel up, and usually i have 0-2 white hits per fight. Not that it helps me with threat VS our crazy DPS, hehe.

Quick question. I just got the glyph of revenge that allows for a free heroic strike within 4 seconds. To me this is awesome sauce and so im trying to get a macro figured out so that anytime revenge pops up it casts revenge and then heroics strike(why not since its free rage). Yet im finding that the glyph doesnt happen quick enough it seems and only on my second and third revenge's am i getting the free heroic strike simply because the glyph is still active. Anyone else have this issue? or a solution? is there a way to make the macro stop for 1 sec between casts? lol Or am i just going to have to mash the button twice?

Edit: After some more testing i find that sometimes i does work on the first try. I think thats cause when it works i am between swings so the heroic strike doesnt cast til my next swing allowing time for the glyph to become active. So i guess this isnt as big an issue as i thought.
    Last edited by velouriam; 03-11-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Code:
    /cast Shield Slam
    /stopmacro [modifier:alt]
    /cast !Heroic Strike
    The problem people have macroing in HS to everything is the inability to stop using it for the short period of times you dont want to. The solution I use is to add in a line to stop the macro before it queues the HS if I hold down alt.

With this macro there is no more spamming of extra keys or mouse wheel to cast HS. If I want to keep queueing it I do everything else normally if I want to stop queueing I hold down alt until it is safe to use again.

One thing to be aware of is if you have any other macros or key binding using alt it screw up other moves and you may want to consider using shift or control for the macro insted.

If you want a shorter macro you can always put the modifer arguement in the /cast !Heroic Strike line
    Last edited by Strucker; 03-13-2009 at 05:24 AM.
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

i have my macros set up on sperate bars for what i need.. example
    1-9 are non macro abilitys <except my taunt i have it to taunt, and on shift challangeing shout>
    then it switches to bar 2 has mysheildslam+sheildblock macro for fights i need it up as much as possible, my oh crap button, my trinket button, and my pots. and band roar .
    i was trying to figure out a way for patchwerk to make a macro for devatse+ heroicstrike.. i use cast [modifier:shift]Heroic Strike; Devastate but shen i shift and push the number/letter button it wont que up my heroic strike.. y? and is ther a macro to do that? so i can use shift to toggle heroic and then letgo of shift to dev? thanx

If you want to use a modifier like shift on a keybound button say "r" that button needs to be bound to both the key and shift that key so "r" and "Shift r". If you are using Bartender I know this is possible as its the setup I use.
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post

mwheel down - Cleave.
    This x1000.

I have every melee swing ability macro'd with Heroic Strike. I can speak from experience that you wont be rage starved unless your fighting low level mobs. But they die quicker anyways so who cares.

Also keep in mind that this macro is going to be very useful come Patch 3.1 where warriors are going to build rage from dodge and parry. It is really going to be nice in PvP for Prot Warriors =D
    Happines is not a station you arrive at but rather a manner of travel.

+ Reply to Thread