Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prot Pally or Prot War

Prot Pally or Prot War

First I would like to take the time to thank everyone that is taking the time to read this and leave there suggestions/feedback.

Ok so here is the situation. I have been playing this game for 3 years now. I have been playing a rogue the whole time and as of late I have really gotten bored with it. I want to reroll to tank, but the problem is I don't know which class to go with. My fiance and one of my close friends are both tanks (mainly why I want to try one). However one is a Paladin and the other a Warrior. This is where the problem comes in they have both given me alot of advice and reasons on why I should pick each, but I just cant come to a decission.

The biggest issue I am having on choosing which class, is that I have never tanked before and don't know which would be easyer to start with.

So if anyone could please give me some advice on what would be better to start out with it would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance
    dlw2107

Paladins do more tps, more dps, will have more health soon, have more reliable mitigation, are better at aoe tanking, look silly, and need to mash less buttons.

Warriors are more mobile, have slightly more health atm, have more -potential- mitigation, look cool and have more tools (highly situational ie useless in most of the content).

Having said that, I have no first hand experience in tanking as paladin, so I might be biased, or overlooking some things. That is how I see things after tanking on a warrior, alongside a paladin.

I am a tankadin and recently tried to lvl my warrior, hard to say what is the easiest because I find harder to tank as warrior but this prolly is because I was last one and a half year palli tank, the idea is that warriors are awesome one target tanks but "IF" you want to be loved by all mobs around go for pally, a friend of mine (warrior tank) use to say that I have some glue on my shinie armor
    As paladin I would recomand pallies ofc, you become borred by tanking... np at all can go for a good dps or even for healing :P
    gl on your choice!

P.S. Forgot to say that I am many times MT for raids
    Last edited by Bancherul; 03-01-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: to complete the "awesome one target tanks" thing

I have both prot pally and prot warr. Prot pallys do more ,well everything said in the post above and then some. Yes prot pallys are the best way go, they have cool buffs to add to a raid as well (not mentioned above). Warr. use to be king of survival, but pallys to many good tools that puts them over the top>>>>>>way over the top.

If u still can't decide and do not want to hurt both of u'r friends feelings, u can always take the safe way out and go w/ the DK, considering he's already a 55.

It's like saying should I have a hamburger or a bowl of pasta when I'm hungry. It very much depends on what you feel like.

Warrior and Paladins are very similar in terms of stats when it comes to tanking where one, as stated above, is more utility and perhaps "fun" where to other has other features. As a warrior since almost 4 years back and always been playing a protection warrior I am quite biast you could say but I won't say a warrior or a paladin is better than one-another. In some situations class A will rule class B, hence why I refer to hambergers and pasta

I can say that playing a tank in general can be very fun. It's quite different from a DPS POV even if a lot of the current game is AoE threat. Wrath brought a lot of "fun" talents to Warriors and it seems we will be further developed come patch 3.1. Charge / intervene in combat, high mobility, lots of buffs and debuffs. It's a very "active" class to play and a very fun one to that. You don't have a fixed rotation for damage dealing and threat production, you monitor cool downs and have a priority system instead, you can help your raid with interrupt, spell-reflections, vigilance and so forth.

A paladin has one up for him and that's the three specs of healing, dps:ing or tanking. A warrior will be a "pounder" or a "receiver" so to speak. This is of course only something that comes into play if you at some point don't want to tank anymore.

So yeah, hard to say what you should choose. I can only say good things about a warrior where I also can see good thing in paladins. Question is, do you want to be that disco-boy at the front line of the field (no wonder they have high aggro at times ) or the terrifying warlord?

"Sadly" a good way of getting a tank quick would be to go the death knight route but yeah, you probably have 2 million of those floating around on your realm anyhow

This won't be alive long as this discussion will be going nowhere but into flaming.

Class vs. Class discussions are not really welcome.

class means little when it comes to tanking .... pallys got some cool stuff, warriors got some cool stuff. niether is better than the other.

what it comes down to is playstyle, warriors have a lot more to do. more buttons to press and a LOT more mobility, being a rogue (as i was) warrior might better suit your play style. ignore the people who say "pallys are better" or "warriors are better" both are fantastic tanks.

dual spec

Not to complicate the issue, but with the upcoming 3.1 patch, the question will mutate into -- which dual spec would you like to be?

Since you already have a rogue to dps with, you may/may not dual-spec as a tank/healer... which means paladin or druid.

BTW, why not a bear druid?
    - Ryan
    Oft hope is born when all is forlorn - LoTR3: RoTK

The Player always matters more than the Class. With that said, if you are going to be playing with those two friends of yours, I would recommend playing either a Death Knight or a Druid. The Druid would give you the ability to play a Tank, Healer, Melee, or Ranged DPS, giving the ultimately versatility when grouping with those friends.
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

you shouldn't pick your class by your offspec, he wants to Mainspec a tank and thinks he would lick prot warrior/pally. so between the 2 he was looking for some advice

dlw2107 ill give you the same advice i allways give someone, make a pally and a warrior get both to level ten, then decide which you think was the most fun, or if you really want to get both to lvl 20 as you would of had a very small taster of the talent tree's by then.

cause as other have said, its allways just down to personal preference.
    Last edited by KuroSaru; 03-01-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: it thought his name was url o.0

Quote Originally Posted by KuroSaru View Post
    dlw2107 ill give you the same advice i allways give someone, make a pally and a warrior get both to level ten, then decide which you think was the most fun, or if you really want to get both to lvl 20 as you would of had a very small taster of the talent tree's by then.

cause as other have said, its allways just down to personal preference.
    Level 10 isn't even remotely close to giving you a decent taste of how a class will play at end game. If you base your decision on which class you like better at 10 you might be disappointed at 80.

I'd recommend you look at some of the high end class abilities and talents and decide which style seems to coolest to you.

Thank you all for your feedback and comments. It has def. helped me come to a decision. I do believe I am going to go with the pally tank (or atleast give a legitimate try). I like the whole idea of being able to hold aggro well on multiple mobs very well. I also like the idea more so of being able to heal if the tanking thing doesnt work out.

Less buttons to push is also a good thing when it gets late at night i get frustrated sometimes on my rogue cause of all the button mashing so that def perks paladins up for me lol.

I also looked into some of the talents last night on the paladin more indepth, and I really like the idea of that shield throw ability to pull that hits up to three targets I believe it is. (sorry can't remember the name right now) Seems like all the warrior abilities for pulling are single target which are there gun or heroic throw I believe it is. If they do have an aoe pull please feel free to correct me .

So I am going to give this pally thing a try. I will keep everyone updated and let everyone know how its going.

Thx a bunch
    dlw2107
    Last edited by dlw2107; 03-01-2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Edited to give more detail into my decision not just that i wanted to be main man lol

Quote Originally Posted by dlw2107 View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback and comments. It has def. helped me come to a decision. I do believe I am going to go with the pally tank (or atleast give a legitimate try). I like the whole idea of being the main man lol. I don't wanna just be the guy sitting in the corner waiting for the random 2-3 mobs to spawn and go pick them up while dps aoe's them down (though both are equally important imo).

Thx a bunch
    dlw2107
    good luck with that dude =]

@Taoden 10-20 levels is enough to get a basic grasp of the style of play, you eithergonna go this healing myself while tanking is wicked or go screw that i dont want to heal i just want to bash! ill heal when there all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by dlw2107 View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback and comments. It has def. helped me come to a decision. I do believe I am going to go with the pally tank (or atleast give a legitimate try). I like the whole idea of being the main man lol. I don't wanna just be the guy sitting in the corner waiting for the random 2-3 mobs to spawn and go pick them up while dps aoe's them down (though both are equally important imo).

Thx a bunch
    dlw2107
    Then you might have a problem because paladins have the best aoe tanking abilities, so you will most likely be assigned to tank adds during raid boss fights. especially during raid progression.

But im a tankadin and i have a block set for fights when im assigned to adds, and a dodge/parry/hp set for main tanking. imo you cant go wrong with a pally or warrior tank, since pallys are gaining MT abilitys, as warriors are also gaining aoe abilities. They can both decently do both roles now, so theres no real "main man" or "always main tank" class roll that warriors have owned untill wotlk.

though when it comes down to it, classes have their own niches, and aoe tanking is still a paladin's niche to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
    Paladins do more tps, more dps, will have more health soon, have more reliable mitigation, are better at aoe tanking, look silly, and need to mash less buttons.

Warriors are more mobile, have slightly more health atm, have more -potential- mitigation, look cool and have more tools (highly situational ie useless in most of the content).

Having said that, I have no first hand experience in tanking as paladin, so I might be biased, or overlooking some things. That is how I see things after tanking on a warrior, alongside a paladin.
    It worries me to some extent that this is mostly true.

I would say try death knight at 55 and see how it goes after a few levels. Also, you will be a different tank than your other friends
    Last edited by Ricovega; 03-01-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Based off you saying you always want to be the "main man" I would reccommend a warrior, hopefully you have not gotten the pally too high of a level. Yes I am a pally tank, and yes currently in most fights I am the MT (other than sarth of course with drakes). The fights I do become the OT is basically anything with adds other than gluth as our warrior tank does that due to the mobility. The reason as a pally you will find yourself tanking the adds is due to both aoe and snap threat. For example on grob a warrior cannot cause enough snap threat to keep the slimes while the ranged dps is nuking the hell out of them from the second they spawn. The days of a solo MT are over, and blizz has made it clear they are going to be tuning ost fights in ulduar to favor a certain tank class so the MT/OT lines will become even more blurred to a fight by fight basis. I don't think you can go wrong either way, my pally has always been my main and I started leveling a warrior tank prebc which he sits at 75atm and tank with him as well as my pally. You will be happy with either choice however again if you want to be "The Man" you may want to go DK as they will seemingly shine in progression fights with their near limitless CD's

Quote Originally Posted by Ricovega View Post
    It worries me to some extent that this is mostly true.

I would say try death knight at 55 and see how it goes after a few levels. Also, you will be a different tank than your other friends

WTB cool looking pally tier set....its been since judgement since we have ahd one......

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    This won't be alive long as this discussion will be going nowhere but into flaming.

Class vs. Class discussions are not really welcome.
    It's not so much that they're not welcome, Edge. It's just that they usually degenerate into whine fests of 'my class sucks, they need to nerf X', and that gets old real quick.

If someone wants to read that ad nauseum, they can go to the Blizzard forums and find all they want.

if this thread shows anything its that every one thinks a different class is better. look at what you want to play and what abilities different classes have, maybe read up on endgame roations. find out how it plays at endgame, and judge from that.

Closed Thread