+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hit Soft Cap? 8%

Hit Soft Cap? 8%

I'm confused, I thought 8% hit rating was the soft cap and what we should be aiming for. Now I'm hearing it's actually the hard cap...why would a Prot Warrior care about his melee swings when normally they should be Heroic Strikes anyway?

meh edited out. better responses below
    Last edited by hbombs; 02-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.

For melee, the Special Cap (yellow ability hit cap) is 8%. This has different implication for different weapon styles. For people using a single weapon, 8% is also the Normal Cap (white damage). If you're using two weapons, however, the normal cap is... 25%? Somewhere near there. I can't recall the exact number right now.

So for a 1H melee user, that 8% is a hard cap - increasing +Hit past this has no effect because both white and yellow hits have a 0% chance to miss.

For a DW melee user, the 8% is a soft cap - increasing +Hit past that point has no effect on yellow swings, but does cause you white swings to hit more.

For a soft-capped Fury warrior, using HS will indeed cause that swing to be hit capped. For a prot warrior, HS has zero impact on your next swing's hit chance, because both white and yellow damage share the same chance to hit with a 1H weapon.

Actually it turned out through etsts that cap is bit higher, 8.2%.

So whats the soft cap for a 1hander?

And why is it the Hit/Exp guide doesn't make this more clear? I've been wasting stats on hit rating gear when I could be maxing out expertise or something. I see no reason to be hit capped at all as a tank if ideally I want all my white dmg to be heroic strikes.

Lol sry, its just that the way I've been itemizing has been revolved around making sure my expertise and hit were "soft capped"
    Last edited by Kahmal; 02-28-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Well, it's always been in here: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...questions.html

Admittedly, a guide called "hit and expertise guide" should probably have that right, yes.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

So the soft cap is 5% correct?

And would I be wrong to ignore the cap? It doesn't seem like any of you guys ignore it, but I honestly dont see the point in it.

Melee swings should be at a miniumum anyway and its not like they generate a lot of threat

Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    I see no reason to be hit capped at all as a tank if ideally I want all my white dmg to be heroic strikes.
    You do not seem to understand. As protection warrior, your white damage and yellow damage has the same hit cap - so yes, it is a good thing to be hit capped, if you can afford it. And no, it is not 5%, it is 8,2% against lvl 83 raid boss.

Ugh...

I just read Satrina's link.

Yes I understand it now. So yay for doing the right thing. I just wasn't aware of that particular thing.

I just recently joined a new guild which actually has a Main Tank that I dont completly outclass, so when he told me the yellow cap was 5% I got a little shaken up.

He seems too stubborn to believe anything I say so I guess I'll enjoy out doing him in threat fights.

/shrug

thanks.

also, your taunts are also based off +hit. I wiped a raid in BC when my taunt was resisted 2 times in succession.

+ Reply to Thread