+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much block in your boss set?

How much block in your boss set?

As the title say. How much block do you run around with in your boss set?

I ask because I was gearing up for Sarth +2 today and swapped out Waistguard of the Tutor - Item - World of Warcraft for Waistguard of Living Iron - Item - World of Warcraft and realized I'm no longer wearing any +BV gear.

I know different gear for different gear sets, but I can't help but wonder if ignoring BV in a boss set is too extreme? I'm sitting at around 900 in my boss set.

Survavibility :
    Unlike Tankadins who can reach 102.4% Miss+Dodge+Parry+Br, Br+BV is not yet a mitigation stat for warriors. Its a mix of both mitigation and avoidance (avoidigation!!) but without the reliability of mitigation or the damage reduction of avoidance.
    So, for what you call a "Boss set", warriors tend to avoid Br+Bv for more EH (sta, AC, ...) or more avoidance.

Threat/DPS :
    On Bosses, expertise/hit is more profitable for DPS/threat than BV.

I'm usually in between 18-21% block rating on bosses. Lower if I don't use Wall of Terror or swap the Nexus War neckpiece from maly quest for Boundless Ambition. I can go as low as about 16.5% depending on the fight. I don't find Block Rating to be really that useful.

Another warrior in my guild fubared the Deep Wounds spec and dropped imp TClap for the Block Rating talent and went 5/5 in it.

Foofy, I say boss set because at the moment I've only put together 2 sets. One with lots of BV that I wear for trash and heroics and everything else which ended up having more def/eh/hit.

I think I'm sitting around 17% block, but how much do you guys actually block? 900 seems like it's wasting a warrior tool, especially when having shield block up when tanking a ton of adds on Sarth sounds useful (on paper anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    ....especially when having shield block up when tanking a ton of adds on Sarth sounds useful (on paper anyways).
    The whelps melee and are blockable. The fire adds "melee" for magic damage, and it is not blockable

My BV set puts me at a little over 1750 BV unbuffed, and I'm still missing the trash drop back and neck with BV. I use that set for heroics, raid trash, big epeen stroking ShoR crits, and the odd boss fight. Fully blocking Loatheb's melee hits makes me LOL, our ret pally takes more damage on that fight than I do. My block chance in that set is something like 35%, but I'm a prot pally and holy shield give me alot of block chance anyway.

For most bosses, I ignore BV and go for the most effective health, and secondly avoidance, as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    The fire adds "melee" for magic damage, and it is not blockable
    Last I checked this is not the case anymore. You can block elementals attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Anaz View Post
    I'm usually in between 18-21% block rating on bosses. Lower if I don't use Wall of Terror or swap the Nexus War neckpiece from maly quest for Boundless Ambition. I can go as low as about 16.5% depending on the fight. I don't find Block Rating to be really that useful.

Another warrior in my guild fubared the Deep Wounds spec and dropped imp TClap for the Block Rating talent and went 5/5 in it.
    Tell that warrior to pick up Tclap again and drop his block talent. Block rating is next to useless on bosses. I have some math kicking around showing that the extra 3% you get from the shield block will at BEST give you 1% damage reduction, which is a lot less than the 3 points in Imp Tclap. The same goes for the debuff applied to trash vs 3% block chance. Gonna quote myself now.

Bad Math for justification on skipping block:
    boss is a light hitter at 4k, you block 1.33k 3% of the time more so
    4000/1330 = ~33% damage x3% = 1% damage reduced

I think we can agree that a boss hitting for 4k is a pretty weak boss and the harder a boss hits the worse block becomes. I think we can also agree that 3 talent points for 1% damage reduction (at best) is a really bad usage of talent points... I'd take the other two points out of it if there were somewhere else to put them.
    If I remember correctly Imp Tclap gives 10% attack speed reduction after 3 points which, while not reducing burst, does increase overall damage taken by 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethraen View Post
    Last I checked this is not the case anymore. You can block elementals attacks
    I though this was the case too, until I had looked at my incoming damage and didn't see any blocks (or partials) from the Lava Blazes.

I had look at my combat log from last and the incoming damage from the Lava Blazes is inconsistent in places:

20:28'29.075 Lava Blaze #10 melee swing hits Akeber for 645 Fire. (379 Resisted)
    20:28'29.359 Lava Blaze #12 attack was dodged by Akeber.
    20:28'30.728 Lava Blaze #11 attack was parried by Akeber.
    20:28'31.114 Lava Blaze #10 melee swing hits Akeber for 445 Fire. (620 Resisted)
    20:28'31.380 Lava Blaze #12 melee swing hits Akeber for 773 Fire. (668 Resisted)
    20:28'32.721 Lava Blaze #11 attack was fully resisted by Akeber.
    20:28'33.126 Lava Blaze #10 attack was dodged by Akeber.
    20:28'33.384 Lava Blaze #12 melee swing hits Akeber for 1037 Fire. (412 Resisted)
    20:28'33.906 Lava Blaze #11 melee swing hits Akeber for 234 Fire. (343 Resisted)
    20:28'35.139 Lava Blaze #10 melee swing hits Akeber for 3715 Fire. (547 Resisted)
    20:28'35.322 Lava Blaze #12 melee swing hits Akeber for 3691 Fire. (846 Resisted)
    20:28'35.504 Lava Blaze #13 melee swing hits Akeber for 1969 Fire. (219 Resisted)

Some of those may have been enraged, which would account for some differences. The, here and there, I get an actual block:

20:37'48.575 Lava Blaze #30 melee swing hits Akeber for 1088 Fire. (1371 Blocked) (140 Absorbed)
    20:37'48.958 Lava Blaze #26 melee swing hits Akeber for 75 Fire. (375 Resisted) (140 Absorbed)
    20:37'49.275 Lava Blaze #22 melee swing hits Akeber for 3366 Fire. (225 Resisted)
    20:37'50.043 Lava Blaze #20 melee swing hits Akeber for 3004 Fire. (452 Resisted)
    20:37'50.994 Lava Blaze #30 melee swing hits Akeber for 5082 Fire.
    20:37'51.178 Lava Blaze #24 melee swing hits Akeber for 3002 Fire. (1371 Blocked)
    20:37'51.178 Lava Blaze #27 attack misses Akeber.

I'm not running around with my back turned all the time, and I'm keeping holy shield up. Anyone noticed the same odd behavior from lava blaze damage?

Here is my combat log from last night (we got sarth 3d!):

http://wowwebstats.com/q1kh5zy4suv2i...va+blaze%22%29

Block Rating is crap for bosses. I run with only 14.49% in my current boss set. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Block Value you want for threat. But it's almost purely a threat stat, not a mitigation stat. So I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're worried about losing threat, or want to up your damage. If staying alive is a bigger concern, which it probably is for Sarth 2 or 3 drakes, go for max Effective Health, and then Avoidance.

For the majority of bosses I use an avoidance-heavy set. For dangerous fights I focus on EH. I honestly don't know how much block I have in these sets.

On a couple of bosses (Loatheb, Gothik) I use a block-heavy set, which is very close to unhittable and has about 1.2k BV.
    Mourning Nightfall since 2.4.2.

+ Reply to Thread