+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Best in Slot! Warrior Tanking Gear "At a Glance"

+7 Strength on bracer for BV set

Isn't Mongoose superior for AV compared to Exceptional Agility (26 agility) ?

Great list Halandir. Could you add the best in slot for the 10-man content? Some people are not able to venture into the 25-man raids due to real life circumstances.

Why socketing +8parry +12stamina is wrong? Explain me. Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Halandir View Post
    Red Socket

EH - Solid Sky Sapphire: again, use this unless there's a stamina socket bonus (in which case substitute a gem that matches the socket color and gives you 12 stamina + dodge or defense or whatever)
    Im confused, and or I've been playing this game all wrong since TBC, but, can I actually put a blue gem in a red socket? You go on to say the same thing in the yellow socket section. If so I'm ecstatic, but until I know for sure... I'm just confused lol.

Hi Mathias,

Yes you can put any color gem into any socket, but if it does not match you will forfeit the listed socket bonus.

Also wouldn't this enchant - Enchant Bracer - Brawn, be the best for a BV set?

Thanks Hal!

Quote Originally Posted by Kree View Post
    Thx dude! You open me a world!

Quote Originally Posted by deltagarrett View Post
    Why socketing +8parry +12stamina is wrong? Explain me. Thx!
    yea in short:

parry % diminishes twice as fast as dodge %.
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

Just a quick question, is it possible to see Ciderhelm's UH set anywhere? Maybe a screenshot/gearlist, don't know. Checked his armory and he was wearing lvl60 gear.

He likes to log out in the original Dreadnaught, yea. (wish I had that stuff)

Not sure if he has a list of the gear he used, but it was almost identical to what I have listed in the guide (with the addition of JC only gems and extra BS sockets).

~ Morpheus

I love the guide,

Only arenot Terrace Defence Boots - Item - World of Warcraft
    Best for UH gear? b/c same blockrate + more def ?

And the swords? u link 3 .. but Broken Promise - Item - World of Warcraft is best for UH gear ?

tnx in advance

He likes to log out in the original Dreadnaught, yea. (wish I had that stuff)

Not sure if he has a list of the gear he used, but it was almost identical to what I have listed in the guide (with the addition of JC only gems and extra BS sockets).
    Yea I thought so. Just a check, as a a JC for the UH set, we will be using 27 defense gems, am I correct?

Just had some noob questions. What would be the over all stat you would look for on these sets, meanly EH,and AV. Would block be a bad thing for the avoidance set if thats all you had? Do you have to keep up your threat stats on these set as well? Just trying to get a good understanding of this and gear balance for the different sets. Thank for the great post and anyones help on this.

A few points, and please take this as constructive criticism:

1. You need something equivalent to a "TankPoints" set. Basically, your ideal EH/avoidance balance, comprised of gear that maximizes your time to live. Nobody ought to stack pure avoidance, and nobody ought to stack pure EH. Item A's significant EH over Item B might make Item B's extra avoidance meaningless for 99% of fights. I simply call this the best survivability item.
    2. You need to factor in diminishing returns. A lot of your avoidance calculations are wrong because you do not take into account how terrible parry is. You cannot go by wowhead's ratings converter. I suggest a baseline somewhere around 750 defense rating (552ish skill), 300 dodge rating (22ish%), and 250 parry rating (19ish%). It gets more complicated, however. An item with parry on it makes every item with defense on it (read: everything except your shirt and tabard) worse than if that item had equivalent dodge. More importantly, if you're really making an avoidance set, your baseline figures will be crazy. Maybe around 800 defense rating, 450 dodge rating, and 350 parry rating. Parry and defense get way worse than dodge at these levels.
    3. Threat does not mean "hit and expertise." Threat means "Expertise, hit, strength, block value." A lot of your supposed threat BIS items are worse than alternatives.

That said, here are my individual comments:

Head
    • Valorous is better than Vital for threat. Extra strength, SBV, hit, red socket all for marginal expertise; since you'd be far past soft capped if you're going for a threat set anyway, expertise ~ hit.
    • Thane's is not a "significant" EH loss to anything except Tempered. Vital has it beat by like what, 15 stam and 46 armor?
    • For me, Thane is for Avoidance, Vital is for general BIS, Valorous is for threat, and Tempered is for EH/MEH.
    Shoulders
    • Valorous beats Unnatural for survivability. The only thing Unnatural has going for it is threat.
    • The PVP enchant is an option for one fight--Sarth--and every other fight in the game will be better with the Hodir enchant. If you put the DPS enchant on a legitimate BIS tank piece, you've gotten too cute.
    Back
    • Shadowed Sun is BIS survivability and BIS EH. Gale is best for avoidance if gemmed for avoidance, and best for threat if gemmed for anything else. Platinum mesh is BIS for no single category; it's best for EH+avoidance+threat combination.
    Chest
    • This is all fucked up. Dragonstorm is BIS for everything except SBR/"unhittable," depending on how you gem it. This is because it's got only one wasted stat--parry (no SBR and no hit, which is never better than expertise). The only situation it's not BIS is threat/EH/avoidance balance, in which case Tormented wins if you value threat over EH and avoidance.
    Hands
    • No disagreement, just a note: You don't want a "balance" of all three avoidance stats if you're above a bare minimum level of avoidance already. Parry is worse than dodge. Always. Period. End of story.
    Waist
    • Technically Living Iron has the best potential avoidance, but you are really trading away a shitload of other stats for it. I don't think there can possibly be a fight where you are so desperate for avoidance you are switching in avoidance pieces in every single slot and can't spare this one slot for a truly superior item.
    Legs
    • No real disagreements, just a suggestion that you mention Sovereignty are best for threat with second best EH, and Dragon Brood are second-best threat with second-best avoidance.
    Boots
    • Inexorable are actually BIS threat if you gem it with expertise. You'd lose 22 expertise but gain 17 STR and 77 SBV. The EH/avoidance trade-off are almost certainly not worth it however.
    Trinkets
    • Separating trinkets into the "EH," "Avoidance," "Threat" categories is pretty useless, partly because they're trinkets, but mostly because of their proc/use ability. Each trinket has a specific set of circumstances under which it is useful. Valor Medal, Monarch Crab, and Defender's Code are listed under three different categories, when in reality, they're just as often used for the same reason--for an on-command dodge pop.
    Rings
    • You should probably list two rings in each category. Add Keystone Great-Ring to EH, Titanium Earthguard to avoidance, and Gatekeeper to threat.
    Shield
    • Wall of Terror in 3.1 will be BIS for EH and general mitigation, no question.
    Ranged
    • No. It is the "one and only." Period.
    Gems
    • If people really can't figure out how to work socket bonuses, I don't think they're going to get much use out of this thread anyway. I'm not sure it's really worth it to say anything about gems beyond "blue can only be stam (EH), red can be dodge (avoid) or expertise (threat), yellow can be defense (avoid) or hit (threat), knock yourself out with dual-color gems to match sockets if the bonus is worth it."
    Anyway, overall the thread is a great idea, and I hope you keep it updated.
    Last edited by Forklift; 03-27-2009 at 02:10 AM.

This gear list was compiled "at a glance." I haven't done a lot of math or set up formulas for my "best in slot" picks, but merely compared the top peices of gear in each slot to determine what set to put it in. I'm sure there will be differences between what I pick and what others would pick, and I welcome criticisms and suggestions.
    Like I said in the OP, I welcome criticism/suggestions. so thanks for the input Forklift. I do hope to keep developing this post, and I'll be looking over your suggestions.

I am a bit behind, as those of you who are waiting for a 10man version of my guide can tell. I just got back from spring break, trying to catch up on schoolwork, process 4-5 new apps to my guild, plus I got engaged last week, and I'm looking for a new apartment... so real life is kinda kicking me in the pants at the moment

~ Morpheus

nvm.
    Last edited by Emsarrev; 03-29-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Failure at reading

what happend to the UH Set list?

it got moved down to the 3rd post it's still there, just put it all together.

~ Morpheus

it got moved down to the 3rd post it's still there, just put it all together.
    Srry for that again i need to look better

u missing wep + Ranged in the set list
    and my 1st post about the boots what about that vs the epix boots?
    Wep must be Broken Promise for the UH set?

2bad i aint got JC for the supurior def gems ...
    But still its an kickass set ^^

+ Reply to Thread