+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Best in Slot! Warrior Tanking Gear "At a Glance"

Quote Originally Posted by Venekor View Post
    Halandir,

what are your thoughts on the Seal of Pantheon trinket?

The current EH list requires a select profession. I was wondering what would be the Best in Slot pair that doesn't require a profession.

EH - Essence of the Gossamer & Indestructible Alchemist's Stone (Jewelcrafting Trinkets: Figurine - Monarch Crab and Figurine - Ruby Hare with 24 stam gems, both JC trinkets have potential to equal the Essence of the Gossamer in EH)

- Ven
    I updated the EH trinket section, although obviously the Defender's Code is only good against physical damage, not magic damage.

As far as Seal of Pantheon, it's definitely an option, but I would put the dodge trinket above it in part due to the proc. With Repelling Charge and The Valor Medal of the First War you'll be in good shape for your avoidance set. And the dodge trinket is easy to get too!
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    For belts I think Ancient Aligned Girdle comes out on top for pure AV, despite DRs on dodge.
    hrm that may be true, i'll have to do some math

/sigh

~ Morpheus

I may be wrong but don't Horn-Tipped Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft beat out the tier piece for threat? just due to the massive expertise.
    Last edited by Bokur; 03-11-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halandir View Post
    hrm that may be true, i'll have to do some math

/sigh
    I actually did the math, and it's true until you surpass 29% dodge, at which point the Waistguard will begin to offer more avoidance (even more so if you use JC gems). I think both are worthy of a mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokur View Post
    I may be wrong but don't Horn-Tipped Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft beat out the tier piece for threat? just due to the massive expertise.
    Most people are going to be using HoVP, the Maly leggings and Pauldrons of Unnatural Death as their primary source of expertise. This means you'd lose the 10% shield slam bonus if you then equipped Horn-Tipped Gauntlets as well, which is probably why he didn't list them.
    Last edited by tom; 03-11-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokur View Post
    as tom pointed out, there's more that goes into selecting a particular peice of gear for a particular set... it's possible for a lower level item to have more of a single stat--in this case expertise--than I higher level item. But no single stat is worth sacrificing too much for, even when building a set for a particular purpose.

This may seem to contradict the whole point of my guide, but consider that gearing theory is still somewhat linear: that is, you're not going to look at a peice of T8 and wonder if it's better than your T7... it is. In the same manner, if you have access to end-game loot, you shouldn't be wondering if you should keep that Heroic Violet Hold epic, or that rep item.

It's not until you have access to multiple peices of approximately equal-level end-game gear that you really start maximizing the benefits of multiple gear sets.

Now, if you are comparing Horn-Tipped Gauntlets to Heroe's Dreadnaught Handguards, we have a legitimate discussion on our hands (no pun intended heh). I will most likely include both in my 10-man version of this guide that i'm working on.

~ Morpheus

as tom pointed out, there's more that goes into selecting a particular peice of gear for a particular set... it's possible for a lower level item to have more of a single stat--in this case expertise--than I higher level item. But no single stat is worth sacrificing too much for, even when building a set for a particular purpose.

This may seem to contradict the whole point of my guide, but consider that gearing theory is still somewhat linear: that is, you're not going to look at a peice of T8 and wonder if it's better than your T7... it is. In the same manner, if you have access to end-game loot, you shouldn't be wondering if you should keep that Heroic Violet Hold epic, or that rep item.

It's not until you have access to multiple peices of approximately equal-level end-game gear that you really start maximizing the benefits of multiple gear sets.

Now, if you are comparing Horn-Tipped Gauntlets to Heroe's Dreadnaught Handguards, we have a legitimate discussion on our hands (no pun intended heh). I will most likely include both in my 10-man version of this guide that i'm working on.
    Understood, It mainly came to mind as im currently running shoulders + chest for the 2 piece t7.5 , and only have the heroes gloves available currently, but then my whole set of choices for maintaining that 2 set bonus is goign to be turned on its head as I gain more pieces (as all the other stuff seems to want to drop before it).

Im also still in kind of a TBC idealogy where there were peices you would keep over ostensibly higher iLvl items due to stat distribution, this seems much less the case in Wrath.

Isn't the The Skull of Ruin - Item - World of Warcraft better than Wall of Terror - Item - World of Warcraft for the Block Value set?

Or will the extra base block of the WoT and the extra Strength w/Raidbuffs equate or surpass the SoR?
    "rouges have cheapest computers"

Comparing the two...

Skull of Ruin
    +20 block value
    +12 stamina

Wall of Terror
    +360 armor
    +15 defense rating
    +24 dodge rating
    +6 block rating
    +13 strength

so, Skull of Ruin does have a bit more block value, but compared to the Wall of Terror you're going to be sacrificing a lot of stats. That being said, in the end if you're looking for Block value it does win out by a bit

~ Morpheus

Shameless plug for my own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Strong post. If I wasn't so lazy... I would build a similar post for Paladins.
    So Hal... apparently I got less lazy... : ]

Check out Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Thanks for the inspiriation man.
    Paladin --- "A paragon of chivalry; a heroic champion."
    <Journey> is recruiting, visit www.wowjourney.com for information and class needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    So Hal... apparently I got less lazy... : ]

Check out Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Thanks for the inspiriation man.
    nice work dude way to write your own guide instead of trolling my thread heh...

looks good.

~ Morpheus

btw, unstickied you but put up a stickied list of guides. hope you don't mind.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Apparently, all the items with block rating that had horrid stamina are being updated with more stamina, specifically the WoT is going to have 94 stam. So this is just something to keep an eye on for future reference once the patch with these changes (probably 3.1) comes out.
    Told you so.

Isn't the Skull of Ruin more block value than the other shields? Just checking...

Just if you guys missed it in the Wall of Terror thread:

Great guide thanks.

I don't know if this has already been covered in another topic, but do you know if the glyph that increases your BV by 100% for 6 secs after each shield slam (not sure of the English name - "glyphe de blocage" in French) actually works? Each time I use it the icon shows up top but no BV modification is visible in the char stats....

Thanks.

Hahaiah, it's 10% and yes it works.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Andomar View Post
    Isn't the Skull of Ruin more block value than the other shields? Just checking...
    *sigh* Is it really too hard to actually read the thread?

Comparing the two...

Skull of Ruin
    +20 block value
    +12 stamina

Wall of Terror
    +360 armor
    +15 defense rating
    +24 dodge rating
    +6 block rating
    +13 strength

so, Skull of Ruin does have a bit more block value, but compared to the Wall of Terror you're going to be sacrificing a lot of stats...
    Was stated FIVE posts above yours...
    <Journey> is recruiting, visit www.wowjourney.com for information and class needs.

Hal,
    Great guide, man! Its great to see you guys clearing the content, and even better to see you and Jay on here as Community Authors. Congrats on taking it up to the next level and passing on all kinds of great information. And don't be a stranger in-game!

Quote Originally Posted by Tworkemada View Post
    Hal,
    Great guide, man! Its great to see you guys clearing the content, and even better to see you and Jay on here as Community Authors. Congrats on taking it up to the next level and passing on all kinds of great information. And don't be a stranger in-game!
    Good to see ya on Twork : ] When are you gonna tell us all how to tank man? Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Tworkemada View Post
    Hal,
    Twork! great to hear from ya... I should probably dedicate this guide to you, as my "tanking mentor." You definitely taught me a lot.

~ Morpheus

+ Reply to Thread