+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Best in Slot! Warrior Tanking Gear "At a Glance"

You're missing the Saphhiron/Malygos quest necks.

Also, I believe Sabatons of Endurance should be listed as T/AV. After DRs, they have less than 0.10% avoidance less than the badge boots (for me, currently, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Halandir View Post
    I believe Satrina coined the phrase "Armor is subject to diminishing returns, while stamina is not" as it relates to calculating EH.
    Actually:

The Mathematics of Armour and Diminishing ReturnsTitle

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina
    As armor increases, the effect of increasing the amount of time required to go from full HP to dead is not subject to diminishing returns. Each increase in quantity of armor will increase a tank's lifespan equally (i.e. if going from 4000 to 6000 AC increases your lifespan by 1 minute, then going from 12000 to 14000 AC will also increase your lifespan by 1 minute).
    Armor is very very good for any fight where physical damage occurs!

Ciderhelm says so!

Quote Originally Posted by klor View Post
    you're apparently also not including the red socket which puts it at 50 parry or 16 dodge, however you'd like to look at it.
    good point. I'll take that into consideration when I update this.

As far as the EH difference between the other two neck peices... it comes down to 24 stam versus 336 armor. Obviously the stam is better for MEH, but I guess it's a close call on Physical damage. I'll probably list both. If you have both necks though, it's probably better to gem the socket for avoidance or threat, and use Heritage for EH.
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Fenicks View Post
    You're missing the Saphhiron/Malygos quest necks.

Also, I believe Sabatons of Endurance should be listed as T/AV. After DRs, they have less than 0.10% avoidance less than the badge boots (for me, currently, at least).
    hrm point taken, i'll think about this. Once again though, my goal for this guide is to point out what to do when you have both peices. Once you have both, you can enchant them differently to take advantage of their respective strengths.

~ Morpheus

EH list, not counting pure resistance and PvP gear:

Head: Tempered Titansteel Helm

Neck: Nexus War Champion Beads - Highest magic EH (otherwise Boundless Ambition wins out due to armor).

Shoulders: I guess Valorous Dreadnaught Pauldrons narrowly wins out over Pauldrons of Unnatural Death due to higher strength = higher EH w/block.

Back: Cloak of the Shadowed Sun

Chest: Dragonstorm Breastplate has a little strength over Valorous Dreadnaught Breastplate.

Wrist: Bracers of the Unholy Knight (with +24 stam)

Hands: Valorous Dreadnaught Handguards

Waist: Ablative Chitin Girdle

Legs: Legplates of Sovereignty

Feet: Kyzoc's Ground Stompers or Sabatons of Endurance.

Fingers: Gatekeeper and Sand-Worn Band or Signet of the Impregnable Fortress, possibly Keystone Great-Ring due to armor.

Trinkets: Essence of Gossamer and ... possibly Defender's Code or, for JCs: Figurine - Monarch Crab

MH: Last Laugh

OH: Does the armor on Wall of Terror offset its low stamina? Otherwise: Barricade of Eternity or Hero's Surrender.

Ranged: Armor Plated Combat Shotgun

also keep in mind for the shoulders if you gem them by gem socket, the t7.5 have a stam bonus. so it wins out (unless you go 24 stam on both...)

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Would be very nice if you could add the Drop Locations for the Items. Helps alot for comparing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    Would be very nice if you could add the Drop Locations for the Items. Helps alot for comparing!
    Good call, that's something that I am planning on adding in as I have time, probably after I add in the EH picks and comment on each slot.

~ Morpheus

Excellent article. Thank you very much for compiling it. Will have it in front of me next time I do naxx this week

-- gyre --

*updated*

almost finished drop locations, more to come soon!
    Last edited by Halandir; 02-26-2009 at 09:18 AM.

~ Morpheus

Can't really argue with the way this was setup, format is good (be careful with the boss listings it's kinda breaking the format, maybe putting them on a new line would be nicer) and useful. I'll sticky (man that's a lot of gear lists).

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Can't really argue with the way this was setup, format is good (be careful with the boss listings it's kinda breaking the format, maybe putting them on a new line would be nicer) and useful. I'll sticky (man that's a lot of gear lists).
    thanks for the sticky and the tip, I'll work on the formatting along with the rest of the info I'm adding.

and yea... my original purpose was to create a concise guide, so I've gotta be careful not to stray to far from that! I might keep the OP shorter and use my two reserved posts for more of the reasoning behind multiple gear-sets, etc.

~ Morpheus

Just wanted to point out that for a threat set, the Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm is superior to the Helm of Vital Protection assuming you can get to the expertise soft cap from other sources, which is honestly pretty easy in a threat set. In fact, it's probably better without hitting the soft cap.

Just a quick comparison of the threat stats of the two:
    T7.5: 80 Strength, 35 hit rating, 77 BV
    Vital Protection: 68 strength, 36 expertise rating

This also makes getting the 2 piece bonus extremely easy as the gloves and helm become best in slot for threat purposes.

The Effective Health set is great for MT'ing Sarth+drakes or fights with stuns (i.e. Maxxena), the threat set can be used for fights like Malygos where dps'ers have damage buffs, and the Avoidance set is good for fast-hitting bosses (though stacking avoidance isn't advised as it was in Sunwell, due to DR and other reasons, but I digress, that's a seperate subject that has been dealt with elsewhere).
    Though you even admit this isn't a focal point, just wanted to point out that there is nothing wrong with stacking avoidance - avoidance still increases survivability linearly and remains superior to stam stacking from a healer standpoint once EH requirements are met.. at least if healer mana becomes relevant again.
    Last edited by larson; 02-26-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halandir View Post
    *updated*

almost finished drop locations, more to come soon!
    Thank you Very Very much for adding this to the list

Posted a sort like list some time ago. It's nice to compare lists, as alot of people are making different lists. This is mine for comparison

1 = basic MT
    2 = High Avoidance
    3 = Trash tanking
    4 = Items with hit
    5 = Items with Expertise

Chest:
    1. Breastplate of Tormented Rage
    2. Dragonstorm Breastplate
    3. Valorous Breastplate
    4. Breastplate of Tormented Rage
    5. Massive Skeleton Ribcage

Head:
    1. Helm of Vital Protection or Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm or Thane's Tainted Greathelm
    2. Helm of Vital Protection
    3. Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm
    4. Valorous Dreadnaught Greathelm
    5. Helm of Vital Protection

Back:
    1. Platinum Mesh Cloak or Cloak of the Shadowed Sun
    2. Cloak of the Shadowed Sun
    3. Platinum Mesh Cloak
    4. Platinum Mesh Cloak
    5. Galeproof Cloak

Shoulders:
    1. Pauldrons of Unnatural Death
    2. Valorous Dreadnaught Shoulders
    3. Valorous Dreadnaught Shoulders
    4. Abomination Shoulderblades
    5. Pauldrons of Unnatural Death or Wapach's Spaulders of Solidarity

Legs:
    1. Legplates of Sovereignity
    2. Valorous Dreadnaught Legguards
    3. Greaves of Turbulence
    4. Dragon Brood Legguards
    5. Legplates of Sovereignity

Belts:
    1. Ablative Chitin Girdle
    2. Ancient Aligned Girdle
    3. Fleshless Girdle
    4. Ablative Chitin Girdle
    5. x

Feet:
    1. Sabatons of Endurance
    2. Kyzoc's Ground Stompers
    3. Inexorable Sabatons
    4. x
    5. Sabatons of Endurance

Gloves:
    1. Valorous Dreadnaught Gauntlets
    2. Callous-Hearted Gauntlets
    3. Gauntlets of the Disobedient
    4. Gauntlets of the Master
    5. Callous-Hearted Gauntlets or Horn-Tipped Gauntlets

Wrist:
    1. Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets
    2. Bracers of the Unholy Knight
    3. Bindings of the Hapless Prey
    4. Bracers of Dalaran's Parapets
    5. x

Necklace:
    1. Boundless Ambition
    2. Nexus War Champion Beads
    3. Nexus War Champion Beads
    4. Heritage
    5. Boundless Ambition

Shield:
    1. Barricade of Eternity
    2. Hero's Surrender
    3. Wall of Terror
    4. x
    5. Barricade of Eternity

Onehanders:
    1. Last Laugh
    2. Last Laugh
    3. Last Laugh
    4. Last Laugh
    5. Broken Promise

Ranged:
    1. Armored Plated Combat Shotgun

Rings:
    2. Sandworn Band
    4. Signet of the Impregnable Force or Gatekeeper or Deflection Band
    5. Signet of the Impregnable Force or Signet of the Accord

This is post I made bout enchants: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/4...hant-list.html
    Last edited by Dizzy; 02-27-2009 at 11:08 AM.

hey thanks for posting that, it's a bit more extensive than I'm shooting for, but I'll look it over to compare to what I came up with.

~ Morpheus

It would be useful if you could give us a better idea of rankings within at least the Threat category. The 10% Shield Slam damage from 2 piece T7 is certainly valuable for threat, but in general, the set pieces are not ideal for threat. I would imagine that the bonus provides more than enough of a net gain to justify switching out whichever piece causes the smallest loss on a piece by piece basis, but as it stands, this list offers no insight into that.

Not really necessary, and probably a ways down the list, but I think it would be a valuable addition when you find time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stancedancer View Post
    It would be useful if you could give us a better idea of rankings within at least the Threat category. The 10% Shield Slam damage from 2 piece T7 is certainly valuable for threat, but in general, the set pieces are not ideal for threat. I would imagine that the bonus provides more than enough of a net gain to justify switching out whichever piece causes the smallest loss on a piece by piece basis, but as it stands, this list offers no insight into that.

Not really necessary, and probably a ways down the list, but I think it would be a valuable addition when you find time.
    i'll add this to my "to do list" and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

~ Morpheus

I'm wondering why some of the slots are missing the EH piece? Hands/wrist/belt only show Av/T/BV slots? Is EH worked in with the other categories in those slots?

Thanks for the great work.
    "The number you have reached, 9-1-1, has been disconnected"

EH picks are coming soon, I haven't had the time to finish up the post yet

~ Morpheus

+ Reply to Thread