+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Over Geared?!?!

Over Geared?!?!

So let me preface this post with: By no means do I think I have the best gear out there I know I dont and what I am about to say doesnt apply to 25 man content.

With that being said does anyone else feel they are way over geared for heroics and 10 mans...i have found that since i mitigate about 85% of incoming damage I am rage starved the whole time and my dps suffers and so does my threat. Its become a real pain because I dont have enough gear to have sets with high mit or high threat and I dont want to change to high threat because it wont do me any good in 25 man content.

Not complaining just curious if this is frustraiting anyone else.

Unfortunately that's just how gearing works right now. The better your gear gets, the worse (I use that term loosely) you get for simpler content. It isn't nearly as bad as it was in Burning Crusade (T6 + heroics = LOL).
    Even Vanilla WoW had this problem

This actually surprises me since my recent experience was just about the opposite. I stopped doing heroics shortly after starting 25-mans, but recently have been doing a few to help my partner gear up her resto druid alt, and was pleasantly surprised at how much rage I was getting even in full 25-man gear.

As for the comparison to doing BC heroics in T6 it doesn't really hold tbh, remember T6 was the 3rd tier of BC raid gear, we're only at the first so far in Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    This actually surprises me since my recent experience was just about the opposite. I stopped doing heroics shortly after starting 25-mans, but recently have been doing a few to help my partner gear up her resto druid alt, and was pleasantly surprised at how much rage I was getting even in full 25-man gear.

As for the comparison to doing BC heroics in T6 it doesn't really hold tbh, remember T6 was the 3rd tier of BC raid gear, we're only at the first so far in Wrath.
    Pending what gear you actually use the gear currently has this result.
    I used T6 just for simplicity but even T4 made them a joke**. I never used CC (Even in Heroic Shattered Halls) on my Warrior when I had full T4 (**Granted I was leveling my Druid which was my main at the time so I never got to experience the original heroics in all their splendor; Warrior came a few months later after a few nerfs.)

And it does hold up if you look at itemization right now. You go from Crafted junk/rep rewards with next to nothing besides a ton of stamina and Defense (which is where all the "Help!" threads come from with people trying to 0 CC heroics fresh at 80/540) to items with metric tons of avoidance. There are 3 gear sets from raids; Threat (hit/expertise/BV), Mitigation (Insert avoidance stat here + metric ton of block rating), Avoidance (Dodge/Parry) - 3 [avoidance] tiers of gear right there which can have a huge impact on incoming damage and make you feel more "over geared" than someone else. They never really had this variety of gear in BC until late.

The jump from T4 --> T6 (Excluding Sunwell) gave you 3.85% more avoidance, which wasn't game breaking at all for heroics. The noticeable part was the mitigation T6 brought to the playing field. An addition 1279 armor and ~8% Block. With gear currently, you can EASILY see differences similar to this, give or take a couple percent (not so much for the armor department though, from raid gear)

Whilst I too have much scope for upgrades I've found this to be more true recently. One aspect I have noticed however is that both the dps and the healers have improved (especially the dps). This makes a number of heroics almost trivial now as the mobs die so fast that i barely get hit and therefore don't generate (for me as a pala) Mana. I'm not being mana starved as such but i've certainly noticed more recently - obviously now i just pull more until my healer starts crying (or shouting at me if she's told me once already lol)

You could always switch to a more block oriented set. Even if it means wearing some blue gear over your epics. Like Tattered Castle Drape - Item - World of Warcraft Unsmashable Heavy Band - Item - World of Warcraft and Toxin-Tempered Sabatons - Item - World of Warcraft. You could always buy Inexorable Sabatons - Item - World of Warcraft too. There are others of course but it's not like you'd want to turn into a fresh 80 all over again.

And if you're still running heroics, I really prefer Horn-Tipped Gauntlets - Item - World of Warcraft over the T7 gloves in the vast majority of cases.

+ Reply to Thread