+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Review! Healer Priest spec.

Looking for Review! Healer Priest spec.

Hi, this is Amethystine of the Bladefist server. ^^ And I'm just interested in finding out where my spec stands on the plate of endgame Priests. I've finished Naxxramas-10, Sarth-10 and 25, and brickwalled on Thaddius and Rassy 25. VoA obviously as well done.

Holy/Disc Spec - 14/57/0
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Dropped Imp. Renew to grab Surge of Light and Lightwell, both of which have become far more useful with the style of Naxxramas bosses, as well as fitting my general healing style better. Took Serendipity over Test of Faith owing the iffiness of the latter's usefulness in a raid situation, and the overall mana return of the former in fights where spam-healing is a must. (I'm looking at -you-, Patch).

Major Glyphs: Circle of Healing, Flash Heal, Holy Nova
    Minor Glyphs: Levitate, Shadowform, Fading

And yes, I'm well aware I've got Hit on a few pieces of gear. They were upgrades of previous items, and I need hit gear anyway for a certain fight. x_x

Ok. I'd like to voice an opinion even though I spec Disc and I haven't progressed to those fights as of yet. (And it might help others if you gave more detail as to what the challenge that you're having with Thaddius and Rassy-25.)

The meta of what I see you saying, the conclusions that you're reaching, and what you're doing to improve is consistent. You are looking to adapt your spec to something that you better fits your play style and gives you a little room to breathe. I can't see the flaw in that.

It strikes me that you're playing on a high enough level now that your attitude and self confidence are likely more important than your "talent points". We see this with top athletes. Yes, some have better stats. But winning the Superbowl is in the heads of the players. This is why the Tennessee Titans failed in the playoffs and the Cardinals went to the Superbowl. One group of players had their heads in the right place. The other group had their heads where they couldn't see sunshine.

Any Advanced Player needs to have their head in the right place first. Everything else will flow. It sounds like you're doing exactly that. Keep going and good hunting.

Oh, and let us know if it makes the preceding fights better, the same, or harder for you.
    "If the Truth can be told, so as to be Understood, it Will be Believed." - Terrence McKenna

You may want to define "brick wall" for us a bit better. It's quite possible,
    if not probable, that your problems on thaddius and razuvious are related
    to the rest of the raid.

For Thaddius, there's very little you can do to keep people alive
    if they group with others of the wrong charge. And in fact, aside
    from some splash healing (for the chain lightning type effect) you may
    actually end up dpsing a bit on thaddius (depending on how close you
    are to the enrage timer).

For Razzuvious, if you are mind controlling an understudy, make sure you
    don't move it too far away. Also, give yourself time to reacquire, or have
    a tank pick it up briefly as it runs toward you. Other than that, it's mainly
    healing the "jagged knife" person, and heal-bombing the understudies.

But you're already analyzing and adapting, which is a big part of these things,
    so I'm sure you'll do well. Good luck!

+6% hit for the add on Raz and Faerlina. The gear for this should be an offset.
    [Insert witty signature here]

Hmm... good input all around. ^^

I'm probably keeping my talents. Healing Focus helps as I typically range-tank 4H, and also helps with Frost Aura, especially coupled with Concentration Aura.

And getting hit gear is fun with so many others who roll on the same gear as the Priest who's gonna be MCing. xD Though I can't blame them, the hit-gear is only for one fight, and insurance for the second.

I prefer Holy Nova Glyph over Renew, as it gives me another good AoE heal, and I tend to rely on my Renew much less, owing my mingled CoH/SoL/HC spec. I don't really have a set rotation, as I use my more versatile build to move around the healing assignments as needed. Tank 'n spanks with little raid damage, I'll cast mostly Flash Heals and Prayers of Mending, with the odd Greater Heal on HC procs. Coordination/movement fights, I'll drop Lightwell and Flash Heal whoever needs it. Grobbulus, Prayer of Mending + PW:S on the injectees. And Holy Nova, Prayer of Mending and CoH for those big raidwide damage fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    As far as your tallent build one change i would make, Drop the points out of healing focus. You can then put those points to give you 2/3 improved renew of 1/3 renew and 1/1 Desperate prayer.

There isnt a time when you really should be getting hit, so therefore 2 points to give push back prevention are kinda wasted...
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown
    The difference between Theory and Practice is that, in theory, there is not difference.
    I agree and disagree with on this one. I spec Disc and have 2pts in Healing Focus currently. While I'm not at your level yet, I understand exactly how frustrating it is when my heals are delayed for a fraction of a second due to damage. Lizana's likely correct that you shouldn't be getting hit. But Healing Focus prevents delay from any source, like AOE, not just aggro'd mobs. And damage happens.

However, I am a huge fan of Desperate Prayer. Keep in mind, Desperate Prayer automatically targets you and does not change you target or focus. Spam the button and gain 4-5k hit points. More for you since it's Holy and can crit. One might think that it's not as crucial since you have Spirit of Redemption. Yes, the spirit casts for free, but it goes away. Live healers don't.

Personally, Desperate Prayer is my "Oh Shit" button. I view it as a huge healing potion that is not linked to the potion cooldown. Since you have Inner Focus, you may want to consider an Inner Focus + Desperate Prayer macro. On mine, I start with a mana potion and "/p OH SHIT!" That way, I'm casting Desperate Prayer for free and standing back up again almost instantly. If Inner Focus or potions are on CD, then I might pay the mana cost. But if things are that bad, I'm not worried most about my mana.

I love Renew and use it. A lot. But, like many Disc priests, I'm moving away from spending talent points in it. I'll Glyph it first.

If this were my spec, I'd consider dropping 1 point of Healing Focus for Desperate Prayer. I simply can't find a point to steal elsewhere. And a 35% reduction, while not 70%, is better than nothing.
    "If the Truth can be told, so as to be Understood, it Will be Believed." - Terrence McKenna

A few quick notes. If you can, pick up a trinket called "Mark of the War Prisoner" in Heroic Violet Hold from Cygnosa. It provides a strong 73 +t and HIT in equip and +346 SP on use. Easy to get if you assemble a group without casters. Snapper Extreme or Worg Tartare will provide another 40 +HIT. While the total from these items won't get you to +6% Hit, they will get you a significant way there.

A couple more thoughts...

In regards to Light Well: I dislike this spell because it requires an action by another player - not only to click on it, but to locate and move to it. While it may not be as disruptive in fights requiring mobility, any action that requires a DPSer (or tank) to divide their attention from their job is not optimal. If you need to spend a talent point or desperately require a raid marker (for example, the tank is going to stand here) with a 3 minute CD, go for it. Imho, I think there are stronger talents.

As for Renew, I use it but I don't put any talents or glyphs into it. Why? Because it's one of the weaker priest spells (this was acknowledged by Blizz, too) and I think you can get bigger payoffs in other places.

More thoughts later.
    [Insert witty signature here]

Quote Originally Posted by Furi View Post
    In regards to Light Well: I dislike this spell because it requires an action by another player - not only to click on it, but to locate and move to it. While it may not be as disruptive in fights requiring mobility, any action that requires a DPSer (or tank) to divide their attention from their job is not optimal. If you need to spend a talent point or desperately require a raid marker (for example, the tank is going to stand here) with a 3 minute CD, go for it. Imho, I think there are stronger talents.
    Forgive my ignorance, I never used to spec for Light Well, as it used to be an out-of-combat ability. I take it that has changed?

If so, that's kool, and I could kind of see it's use. (Although I've never once seen it used in-game. I play a lot of BGs and this seems ready made for them.) If not, then what is the difference between that and Intervenous Healing Potion? I use these heavily when defending a spot in the BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiata View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, I never used to spec for Light Well, as it used to be an out-of-combat ability. I take it that has changed?
    Indeed it has.

I actually used it in combat before they made it more combat friendly, for instance, I always set one up for myself on the Thunderbird boss in ZA, great way to get myself back up and can continue focusing on my tank. Most of the time it was no good though because any damage stopped the healing, now however it only stops the healing if the hit is 30% of your maximum health....which if that's the case you should be doing something more than using lightwell. :P

Anywho, lightwell is amazing for helping with raid heals if your DPS are smart enough to use it. I always have one up for Warlocks during boss-fights so they can tap their heart away; and depending on where I place it, some of the melee DPS use it frequently too. You'll sometimes end up overhealing over your own lightwell, but if you learn which DPS are attentive enough to use it, you can throw bigger raid heals out on other DPS knowing that some people will take care of themselves with it.

In general you can do without it, but it can be an extreme convienence for some fights. I've had a lot of great use for it in Grobbuluus, since he's constantly getting kited, and people are constantly running away from the raid to let their mutagen explode, I have thrown down a light well a head of us right before grob starts doing the rapid mutagens, and it really gives you some breather room to focus more on the people with the mutagen on them, and less on the raid damage caused by any slimes that are out.

/rant

Oh also, because Desperate Prayer was mentioned I just thought I'd throw this out there too: If you're an herbalist and have Life Blood, I highly recommend making a macro to use both abilities at once since they're on separate global cool downs. It gives Desperate Prayer just that much more oomph in emergencies. Throw a warlock cookie into the macro too and you practically have a personal Lay On Hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AmadeusMaxwell View Post
    Indeed it has. ...Oh also, because Desperate Prayer was mentioned I just thought I'd throw this out there too: If you're an herbalist and have Life Blood, I highly recommend making a macro to use both abilities at once since they're on separate global cool downs. It gives Desperate Prayer just that much more oomph in emergencies. Throw a warlock cookie into the macro too and you practically have a personal Lay On Hands.
    Oooooo, I like that!

Based on that I think I'll rework my "OS" button as a /castsequence for all things self healing-ish. Let's see: /y Tiata calls out for his mommy!, cookies, pots, trinkets & gear, self buffs, Feign Death (damn - wrong toon), DP, Fade, bandages.... *headache*

/brain

Hi Amethystine,

A few things:

1) What exactly is the brickwall you face in Thaddius and Raz? What's happening that wipes the raid on these 2 bosses? This will help with us making suggestions and providing more sound advice.

2) Reviewing your current build, here are a few thoughts and considerations. Look at your recount or WWS for Naxx 25.

Healing focus - reducing pushback is great and it helps when taking damage during intensive fights such as Sarth 3D from adds or even Gothik in 25, the Arcane Explosions from spectral trainees. Other than those fights, I don't find it useful. I chose to spec out of it to test it myself and honestly don't find missing it much atm. I just put my shield up to avoid some pushback. Try it.

Improved Healing - Reduce mana by 15% in Lesser heal, Heal, Greater, Heal, Divine Hymn and Penance. Look at your effective healing spells cast and see what percentage of your spells are those 6 spells. If they are not in your top 5 spells used, spec out of it. Take points from there. Give that a try.

Serendipity - Receive 25% mana back from overheal from Flash Heal and Greater Heal. Check your overheal stats again in recount or WWS. What percentage of your overheal is FH and GH? How much are you really overhealing by? Are you going oom during any fight? If you are not going oom and your overheal stats percentages reflect FH and GH to be insignificant, you can move points from there. Remember, Serendipity doesn't reward you for overhealing, it helps in offsetting the mana cost of an overheal. Try it.

Ok, if you try these suggestions now what do you do with those points? Invest and try Improved Renew, Deperate Prayer and even Test of Faith. Keep in mind that in order to reach the next tier of talents however, you may need to still place 1 or 2 points in those talents. So head over to your nearest talent calculator and see where you would like to place those points.

Your build could look something like this: (Without ToF)

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

or for comparison this:

(With ToF) This is my current build atm. I opted out of Desperate Prayer as I'm usually one of the last to die in this current raid content, but will change back once in Ulduar. It's a great Oh Sh*T button and only have 1 point in Serendipity as my overheal is very low. Also note with this build I don't use lightwell:

The World of Warcraft Armory

Hope this helps and please let us know some answers to these questions so we can re-evaluate.
    Last edited by Aggromachine; 02-25-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: misspelling

Thaddius is more of a team fail if you can't get past it, but Razuvious is all on the Priests. The job seems easy, but the execution is all in the details. This is how two good Priests can make Razuvious 25man the easiest fight in Naxx:

Pre-fight:
    1) Mark understudies and designate with the other Priest who is starting the fight, and who is MCing which marker. I recommend letting the most experienced MCer go first.
    2) Set the following macro to your favorite hotkey (I like "2"):
    #showtooltip Mind Control
    /cast [target=focus] Mind Control
    3) Target your designated understudy and type /focus. (*If something goes wrong and your understudy dies you will need to target another understudy and set focus again. I find it's easiest to make simple macros for /focus and /clearfocus then put them on your bar somewhere. Easier to click a button than type /focus in the middle of the fight.*)
    4) Hit rating is not necessary for doing this fight, but it will help. The understudies are only level 82 mobs, so +7% hit will cap you.

The Pull:
    1) Wait for Razuvious to pat to the back.
    2) Both Priests cast Mind Soothe on their understudies and move into MC range. You must act quickly as Mind Soothe is prone to running out of duration when people stall.
    3) The Priest going first hits his MC macro. The Priest going second waits.
    4) Razuvious will just stand there looking at you like an idiot for a few seconds. DO NOT run your understudy towards him. You will lose MC due to range. Just target him, turn on Auto-Attack, keep your understudy by the ramp, and let Razuvious come to you.
    5) Once Razuvious gets to the ramp, the Priest going first casts Bone Barrier and Taunts, always in that order. This is when the second Priest hits his MC macro for the first time and starts using Auto-Attack and Blood Strike while waiting for the first switch to use Bone Barrier and Taunt.

Switching:
    1) Use Deadly Boss Mods or some other addon that gives you a Taunt timer.
    2) Be vocal in vent with each other. The most important things to call out are when you need a taunt from your partner, and when you have taunted him off your partner. Refer to your understudies on vent by their respective marks for the benefit of the people healing them.
    3) EVERY time your partner taunts, you must MUST right click your pet portrait and dismiss the understudy. You can also use the following macro: /script PetDismiss()
    4) Immeaditely press your MC macro hotkey after releasing and the understudy should be re-MC'd before it gets to you (you will have aggro from it when it breaks, at least initially). Auto-attack will default to off every time you re-MC, so be sure to always turn it back on.

If all that is executed properly it makes the fight extremely smooth. The reason I use focus macros is because it eliminates having to switch targets after the initial pull.

+ Reply to Thread