+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UI Design Discussion

This person has an interface that I like where it's going. The combat text is limited to the default game damage (probably enhanced with GDFont or similar).

The minimap is out of the way. I would take this a step further and fade it between 40 and 50%, or possibly hide it all together except on mouse-over.

I'm not sure about the placement of his rotation abilities like Judgement, Divine Storm etc. My preference would be to put them under the health bar, just large enough to see the cooldown on it with OmniCC. The buff placement isn't bad at all, maybe a bit bigger.

For the target I'd do something similar to the buffs, nice big ones with SBF3.

For the non-rotation abilites, he's got them bottom-center screen. I'd like to put party/raid health bars here using either pitbull or grid. I'd then put these things (e.g. stances/auras, blessings, etc.) on bars in the lower left that faded out /in on mouse over.

The overall idea being to make the majority of the screen a view of the game and get rid of all the clutter. I don't even see a practical need for Omen these days, although I'm sure you could find a way to make it very non-obstructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Quote Originally Posted by shiz98 View Post
    I really don't understand why people have their minimap in the center of the screen. That's prime real estate there that's going unused for 90% of boss fights (which is where you interface really matter the most). I personally keep it tucked away in the corner.
    Mine stays in the middle because most of my characters have gathering professions. You can set the minimap to hide in combat I believe (Sexymap option)

Also symmetry. I get a weird feeling if things aren't the same, hence why I also have a combat log to the left. Which brings me to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Another puzzler is why people drag out the combat log to its own piece of screen. You can't see anything useful in it during combat, so you pretty much never look at it until after the fact (and much of the time you use recount to see how/why people died anyway).
    The combat log I use is an addon called HitsMode2. I have it set up so that I only see incoming damage, and find it useful to see if I need to do anything or call out anything over vent.
    Also gives me a DPS/TPS report after the fight, and damage in.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Lately I have even begun to question the usefulness of damage in/out displays on scrolling combat text. Unless I am looking for something in particular while fighting, they're just noise these days.
    I found myself lagging a heap in 25mans with all my addons on (I believe I have over 200 folders in my addons directory, almost all of which are enabled ingame) so I turned off everything from SCT and SCTD.

What did I notice when these were turned off? That I had more space and less screen clutter!
    SCT was doubling up on my incoming combat log, so wasn't necessary. I don't particularly need to see damage output, but I like it anyway so I put the damage min up to around 1.5k so I don't see silly little consecrate ticks.
    All I really keep SCT/SCTD for now is warnings.

What I really want with my UI is information I need, with less lag.
    Unfortuantely when I raid I need to see everyones health. I also need to see chat, and for personal reasons the incoming combat log. Then theres spell buttons, including things which don't get used often but still need to be seen so I know that they are on/off CD.
    Raid Cooldowns is also something I like seeing, but probably isn't necessary any more.
    All in all, theres not much other than the default stuff that needs displaying, the main issue is that for it to look nice and be functional, with a personal touch, it seems to create a lot of lag. I find myself using ALT+Z during boss fights like KT when I don't need to do anything but hit him in the face.

The overall idea being to make the majority of the screen a view of the game and get rid of all the clutter. I don't even see a practical need for Omen these days, although I'm sure you could find a way to make it very non-obstructive.
    Refering to that UI, I want to see what his raid UI would look like with raid frames, etc because most UI's look empty at first glace for 1v1 combat, but when you raid you tend to have windows everywhere. That screenshot also has a pretty large resolution so it has plenty of room.

On the debate about Omen. Truly the need for it is less than TBC, but I still believe it is helpful and would sacrifice my space on the window for functional needs. Most dps, though I could be wrong, probably depend on the default method of expressing threat on a mob. That's fine as long as you pay attention to it though carefully.

I use Omen to target mobs that I have low threat on compared to other tanks. Plenty useful when DPS don't look at their threat in the heat of a boss fight and decide to pull Loatheb. Although mistake like this shouldn't happen in the first place, I would rather be the one says "better safe than sorry."
    Abyssul's UI, please comment or download.

I find SCT to be useful to just gauge what's going on. Might glance there to see what kind of hits I'm taking, or maybe watch my ability usage for a bit, watching misses and the like. I didn't actually run with this before, so I'm still trying to get a feel for it. I'll probably end up disabling it; I too find that it adds a lot of clutter for dubious gains.

I'm a really big fan of using viewport mods, because I love being able to see everything. Raid/party frames, buffs, etc can really block off a lot of the screen, which to me is painful. Has anyone tried using a viewport mod and gone back? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Refering to that UI, I want to see what his raid UI would look like with raid frames, etc because most UI's look empty at first glace for 1v1 combat, but when you raid you tend to have windows everywhere. That screenshot also has a pretty large resolution so it has plenty of room.

On the debate about Omen. Truly the need for it is less than TBC, but I still believe it is helpful and would sacrifice my space on the window for functional needs. Most dps, though I could be wrong, probably depend on the default method of expressing threat on a mob. That's fine as long as you pay attention to it though carefully.

I use Omen to target mobs that I have low threat on compared to other tanks. Plenty useful when DPS don't look at their threat in the heat of a boss fight and decide to pull Loatheb. Although mistake like this shouldn't happen in the first place, I would rather be the one says "better safe than sorry."
    Raid frames are the main thing I would do differently. You see his action bars at the bottom-center, that's where I would plop down a grid box that supported up to 25 players. Nice and easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Has anyone tried using a viewport mod and gone back? If so, why?
    I used them at one stage, then went back to normal.
    Why? Because it made black space. I don't know about you, but I never run any game in a window, unless they can't be maximised. I like to see the whole screen filled with the game, if my PC would support it I'd have all the extra stuff opened up on my second monitor, and just have the game plain and simple on the main screen.
    Unfortunately wow doesn't run too well stretched over multiple monitors

The black bar annoys me. At one stage I had some art my fiance drew for me in there, but it just took up sooooo much space! And didn't fit.

First for the minimaps. Yes the central placements strikes me as unnessecary as well, that's why I have it up in a corner. Even the miner/herber thing doesn't really hold true if you use Gatherer, because Gatherer will show you a HUD if you want it to.

Secondly for MSBT. I mostly watch for procs and expiring buffs (commanding shout, Shield Block, Shield Slam etcetc.) Although I do agree that incoming and outgoing damage is a lot of clutter, I kinda like to see it. Most of the time I don't notice it, but there are situation where weird numbers suddenly draw my attention. I do have it set up that things like HoTs and DoTs don't spam, but give me a general update (Shockwave just says something like 9123 damage (4 targets))

Omen/Recount/etc. I don't look at those during most fights. I have Omen visible just because it offers some information which you can use at first glance, but all these other mods are just e-peen mostly. In my world I don't really care how much DPS you are doing as long as the job gets done. The only use I really see for DPS meters in general is to train yourself to get the maximum out of your class, which only becomes useful if you analyse your data, and don't just post numbers. Also, DPS is subjective, especially with all the gimmick fights in Naxx.

If I come round to it I'll post my UI later today, but really, I want to see as much of the world as possible, so max viewing range and everything tucked away.

I used one when I was first level 70. I switched when I decided to PvP. imo a good PvP UI is a minimalist UI. I have everything scaled down all the way in my UI.

Kolben, about the minimalistic interface you linket earlier, its neat and all - should work really well in PvP situations but I feel that as anything other than an DPS i would not have enought buttons >.<

If i ever go retri, i'd consider an UI like that !
    Hybrid - Druid/Paladin

I think its worth noting, for newer players, that addons arent necessary. The most important thing is finding a ui that works for u and filtering the addons that just add clutter and confusion.
    I was once in the mode of thought where i thought i needed this addon and that addon but now i just get only the ones i need. I've tried pitbull and xperl and i absolutly hate them. Im just sooo used to seeing that little green bar at the top left of my screen, and it supplies me with all the information i need. No need to complicate things if needs be. I do have a few addons like bartender and kgpanels and msbt that i really love and enhance my playing style. Just thought i'd share this simply because i think some ppl's ui's get way to complicated and are crossthreading info simply because of a"everyone has that addon" kinda thing. A bad ui can equal bad playability.

Im just sooo used to seeing that little green bar at the top left of my screen, and it supplies me with all the information i need.
    There's a learning curve with switching anything out in the UI, even if the switch is an improvement. Using pitbull to move the target frame to the middle of your screen, as an example, will take some getting used to; however, in the end the gain will be beneficial.

You do raise a valid point, however: it's easy to overdo your UI and end up with something worse. It's actually something I've been working on lately, to start removing addons that don't offer any benefit.

I think there's a quote by someone famous about it being easy to make something complex, but hard to make something simple. Seems pretty relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinater View Post
    That's a pretty nice interface you have there Bodasafa. Everything likks nice and organized and all the information a tank would ever need is right there. Did you design that yourself? If so, is it available for public use/download?
    Yes, I did design the UI layout and eepanels artwork myself and Blood already directed you to the download. The layout was a work in progress over the years. This is kind of interesting I think. I actually have the evolution of my UI's layout stored here in screenshots on tankspot. Ill use the default small versions, click on them for a larger picture.

There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

I had SunnArt , a viewport mod for a while, as you can see in my above screen shots. I did like the ease of use in the config. It was very quick to throw up a pane to make back rounds. It then started to encroach on every side . I started taking parts down and realized that more screen space felt and looked better. I ended up with eepanels to create my own. I guess it does act as a view port in a way (if you only used the bottom part).
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

This was my UI while I was leveling, I use a layout similar to that no matter how I rebuild it. I guess that I have just gotten used to it looking like it does. Fubar takes alot of headache out of quickly seeing information that's pertinent outside of the instance/raid you might be in. I find it best to split the chat to three boxes, but then again that might be due to my monitor size. Top left is where I put raid/guild/officer/bg text and warnings. Bottom left is general chat and a few tabs for trade chat spam etc. To the right of that I put my target/targets target then action bars. And then the combat log, as someone mentioned earlier it's not really something I look it during a fight but after for analysis. As much as I've tried to condense it over the years it always end's up looking somewhat like that.

Kel
    Last edited by Kelstet; 03-04-2009 at 04:50 PM.

I'll have to post an SS of my latest UI but I basically scrapped Pitbull as a Raid/Party UI and exclusively use Grid now. Moving my Combat text back into my chat text box (and just switching it in and out when I need it) I was able to slide grid to the right of my action bars, and my map to the right of that. This leaves almost my entire upper 75% of my screen open. the middle area is a bit more clustered with my target charms, and Unit Frames of course, but I stuck Omen right above my map to the right, and recount right above my chatbox to the left. This still leaves more than 60% of my screen completely open which I like. My buffs are on the top left using SBF debuffs right below them and my targets debuffs next to my target Unit frame. Other than that. My screen is all clear. I'm loving it this way =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

hmm Kazey, you've given me an idea!
    however ... probably won't work.

I have a combat log down the bottom right. While it's great to read when needs be, I can generally tell how hard I'm getting hit by watching my health, or by setting up a nodding bird to tank for me while I go bang my head against the wall.
    If I hide that, I can put Pitbull raid frames down the bottom right, possibly shrinking them small enough so that I can fit people and their targets!

Don't know about you guys but as a tank I find it important to know what people are targeting, most of the time its for trash to see which mobs going down fastest.
    Will leave the top left of my screen blank! Which it has never ever been ... :O

Big fan of minimalist, but never been able to get rid of the chunky frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Niian View Post
    Don't know about you guys but as a tank I find it important to know what people are targeting, most of the time its for trash to see which mobs going down fastest.
    I have pitbull set up so I see each players target when I am in a party, and I agree it does help pay attention to who is hitting what.

Kel

Right, finally got down to posting my UI. A few notes

- On the left side you see a bit sticking out. I don't see that on my screen, I play from an LCD screen, which has a slightly different resolution from what WoW offers.
    - The only thing that's not visible right now is Omen and MBST, otherwise this is it.
    - Everything is scaled or tucked away to the sides.

edit: I wish I could get rid of those silly minimap icons
    edit 2: Target and Target of Target will display on top, in the centre.
    Last edited by Eide; 03-08-2009 at 01:35 AM.

This is my UI:

I try for minimalist style for a functional PvP UI. I have everything scaled down and kept at the bottom. Pretty soon I might reformat it to make it easier to see everything I need at a split seconds glance.

See in a UI like that, I don't see why you don't have a viewport mod that puts a bit of black on the bottom of your screen. To me, that area looks completely useless right now - while there are gaps through which you can see the game a bit, they're not really useful. Compare this to putting a black bar down there and getting more viewable area. Thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread